Ross Barkley

milllz

29 minutes ago, Vesper said:

grrrrrrrr

0_Barkley.png

Looks like leaked still from The Hangover 4, lol

Anyway, if Rice or whoever is coming this is understandable decision. We need competition inside the team and players, who can make a difference, not okay-ish squad players. Plus, in the team that lacks spirit and motivation a guy, who gets photographed by tabloids black-out drunk every month is not good. On the other hand I'm bit surprised with how we are shipping away HG players as it may soon become difficult to register a squad for CL.

Looks like Barkley wanted the move...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/09/30/ross-barkley-targets-place-england-squad-next-years-euro-2020/

Ross Barkley is targeting a place at next year's European Championships with England after sealing his loan move to Aston Villa.

Barkley has revealed that the pursuit of regular football and nailing down a spot in Gareth Southgate's squad were the two main incentives for him to join Villa for the season from Chelsea.

Villa have agreed to pay all of Barkley's £110,000 a week wages in a move which ends Dean Smith's search for a proven 'No. 8' midfielder, as first revealed by Telegraph Sport.

Smith had also targeted Chelsea's Ruben Loftus-Cheek as an alternative loan signing, but Barkley was always Villa's priority and a deal was completed on Wednesday morning.

Barkley was an unused substitute in Chelsea's defeat to Tottenham in the Carabao Cup and admitted that regular football with Villa persuaded him to make the move.

"The Euros was a big influence for me coming here because for the last couple years it has been stop-start for me [at Chelsea], performing and then being out of the team," he said.

"To come here and have the chance to play and perform regularly was a big thing for me and with the Euros at the end of the season it's a target of mine to be in the squad and hopefully be there.

"Villa know my strengths and what I can add to the team. It's a massive club and it looks like it's going to be an exciting season. Hopefully we can improve this season compared to last season."

7 hours ago, Tomo said:

Not happy with this atall myself, he's a proven squad player who makes decent contributions over a season. Him standing up just before lockdown while we had an injury and suspension crisis was (in my opinion) one of the key reasons we made top four. In a season like this he would have been needed at some point.

Unless Barkley pushed for this I think we've made a massive error.

I have always been a fan of him. He is one of those players that when we look thin, he steps in and does a good job. Whether in CM/AM, he can put in a good shift. I actually think he could have gone to a better team, but brilliant capture for Villa. Really surprised by this. Probably our only CM who offers a goalscoring threat too which frustrates me even more.

I have always been a fan of him. He is one of those players that when we look thin, he steps in and does a good job. Whether in CM/AM, he can put in a good shift. I actually think he could have gone to a better team, but brilliant capture for Villa. Really surprised by this. Probably our only CM who offers a goalscoring threat too which frustrates me even more.

I agree that I wish we would have kept him. Great squad player.

But the last part about our only CM with goalscoring threat...what about mount? And even havertz to a degree. I won't count RLC cause it seems he's leaving. I think we are light on goal threats from there, but he's not the only one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, Stats said:

I agree with all of that apart from goal threat, i think he's overrated on that regard. Through like November 2018 to the end of 2019 he scored like 3 goals which all came against Malmö or Grimsby.

Judging by his interview on the Villa channel it sounds like it was his choice to go for more regular action which makes me feel a little less annoyed about this. Sounds like he got to the Phil Neville point (when he left United to go to Everton) where taking a step down for regular action trumped being a squad player in one of the top teams, so good luck to him.

9 minutes ago, Miguelito said:

I agree that I wish we would have kept him. Great squad player.

But the last part about our only CM with goalscoring threat...what about mount? And even havertz to a degree. I won't count RLC cause it seems he's leaving. I think we are light on goal threats from there, but he's not the only one.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I don't see Havertz playing CM for us, hence why I did not include him. RLC too, I see him advanced. But Barkley can play in a 2 man midfield and has done this very well.

5 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I agree with all of that apart from goal threat, i think he's overrated on that regard. Through like November 2018 to the end of 2019 he scored like 3 goals which all came against Malmö or Grimsby.

Judging by his interview on the Villa channel it sounds like it was his choice to go for more regular action which makes me feel a little less annoyed about this. Sounds like he got to the Phil Neville point (when he left United to go to Everton) where taking a step down for regular action trumped being a squad player in one of the top teams, so good luck to him.

Yeah, maybe the goalscoring threat was exaggerated, however that goal for example he scored against Liverpool in the FA Cup last season, he is capable of doing that as he has that drive to run wtih the ball and unleash a powerful shot, which none of our other CM have.

Could have easily scored a hattrick if he was clinical enough. Clear signs of why he is never going to be a key starter for a huge club competing for trophies where these moments are the difference between a top player and a good one. Or winning a big game in a title decider or cup final, or losing it. But promising debut.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Stats said:

Crazy decision to let him go out on loan, considering Lamps was not able to get Rice. He is the only player we have who plays CM and adds a bit of muscle. The CM options are way too lightweight.

Pretty sure Barkley pushed for the move to boost his own chances of going to the Euros with England. 

5 hours ago, Jason said:

Pretty sure Barkley pushed for the move to boost his own chances of going to the Euros with England. 

Yep but Lamps should have said I will rely on you throughout the season. Kante is likely to get his injuries this season. Gilmour is currently injured and still a rookie. Then you can never rule out the players being ruled out with covid also. There is so many games to play. Really baffled and we could of done with him and he proved last season he is a useful asset. I am  sure last season there was a point where Kovacic, Jorginho and Kovacic were all out. Barkley luckily came in and did well. This season we don't have that option, or till January at least anyway...