Ross Barkley

milllz

7 minutes ago, Vesper said:

this is BULLSHIT

raging atm 

serves no purpose

if you do not want him, sell him!

loan plus MANDATORY buy clause next summer

He has a contract till 2023, what's the rush? Play a good season at Villa and then sell next year for a good enough fee.

Now Villa pay his wages and I would also assume some loan fee, so his costs for this season will be small or zero.

Only real risk is if he gets a bad injury (like Zappacosta at Roma) and becomes impossible to sell but I'm guessing the club have done some risk assessment and concluded he might fetch better value next year than just desperately sell for any price now.

It's easy to shout from the forums that the club should sell players but if nobody is willing to pay fair price now, the only options are to loan or keep as a backup.

7 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Disappointed about this. I'm probably in the minority judging by the abuse that he gets at times on this forum, but I think Barkley is a good rotational squad player to have. 

He blows hot and cold and he certainly isn't regular starter material but when he plays well he can be very good and is capable of playing both a deeper and more offensive role in the midfield.

I would much rather hold trust in him at present than I would in Loftus-Cheek who I think is far more desperate for the loan move away to get regular game time and to see if he will ever return back to what we were starting to see in the second half of Sarri's season.

Not happy with this atall myself, he's a proven squad player who makes decent contributions over a season. Him standing up just before lockdown while we had an injury and suspension crisis was (in my opinion) one of the key reasons we made top four. In a season like this he would have been needed at some point.

Unless Barkley pushed for this I think we've made a massive error.

Just now, Jype said:

He has a contract till 2023, what's the rush? Play a good season at Villa and then sell next year for a good enough fee.

Now Villa pay his wages and I would also assume some loan fee, so his costs for this season will be small or zero.

Only real risk is if he gets a bad injury (like Zappacosta at Roma) and becomes impossible to sell but I'm guessing the club have done some risk assessment and concluded he might fetch better value next year than just desperately sell for any price now.

Why do you think I said loan with a mandatory buy clause

I understand COVID has fucked up finances this year

Aside from that, I question loaning him out this late anyway. Would rather see him playing over the broken RLC all day, all night.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Not happy with this atall myself, he's a proven squad player who makes decent contributions over a season. Him standing up just before lockdown while we had an injury and suspension crisis was (in my opinion) one of the key reasons we made top four. In a season like this he would have been needed at some point.

Unless Barkley pushed for this I think we've made a massive error.

Agreed 

Just now, Vesper said:

Why do you think I said loan with a mandatory buy clause

I understand COVID has fucked up finances this year

Aside from that, I question loaning him out this late anyway. Would rather see him playing over the broken RLC all day, all night.

Villa were never going to accept a mandatory buy clause with the threat of relegation. And even if they were, what should the price have been? 10M, 15M, 20M?

If he has a good season on loan he could easily go for +25M be it to Villa or somewhere else.

7 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Disappointed about this. I'm probably in the minority judging by the abuse that he gets at times on this forum, but I think Barkley is a good rotational squad player to have. 

He blows hot and cold and he certainly isn't regular starter material but when he plays well he can be very good and is capable of playing both a deeper and more offensive role in the midfield.

I would much rather hold trust in him at present than I would in Loftus-Cheek who I think is far more desperate for the loan move away to get regular game time and to see if he will ever return back to what we were starting to see in the second half of Sarri's season.

agreed

1 minute ago, Jype said:

Villa were never going to accept a mandatory buy clause with the threat of relegation. And even if they were, what should the price have been? 10M, 15M, 20M?

If he has a good season on loan he could easily go for +25M be it to Villa or somewhere else.

I highly doubt Villa will be relegated and we could have inserted a clause that took the mandatory buy off IF they were

2 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Let him go on a free if it comes to it. Not good enough. But has done more than Ruben has under FL tbf. Okay hes off just seen it.

letting Barkley go on a free would be utter madness