The Conte Thread

58 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Yeah I don't think the club should sack the manager this season. Doesn't make sense since they fail in getting the players in. 

They need to realize that because of their incompetents in the market we can't compete for the title we should hope at best for a 6th place. That would be an improvement from last season. Top 4 will be above the expected target. 

If they want to challenge then they need to do business and not mess around. 

What the fuck am I reading? Hope for 6th place?

We won the title two seasons ago with more or less the same players. Last season was an aberration.

I expect top 4, and I hope for the title though I accept that it'll probably be one of the Manchester clubs.

14 minutes ago, nofacej said:

We won the title two seasons ago with more or less the same players. Last season was an aberration.

I expect top 4, and I hope for the title though I accept that it'll probably be one of the Manchester clubs.

Exactly, this squad is more than good enough for Top 4. We're still 2/3 signings away from a legitimate title challenge though.

29 minutes ago, nofacej said:

Sorry don't see it with this defense 2 years older. 

City, United, Arsenal, Liverpool and tottenham ahead of us. So making us 6th, that's about right with this defense. 

28 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Sorry don't see it with this defense 2 years older. 

City, United, Arsenal, Liverpool and tottenham ahead of us. So making us 6th, that's about right with this defense. 

Liverpool, really?

Unless something drastic happens in the next week (2 top class signings at least) I sort of agree with Fernando about missing top 4. Think we'd finish about 5th-6th with the current lot.

Without any more signings I think there would be matches where we'd look brilliant and show huge potential and others where we get smacked due to the shit defense, Kante having an off day, or Hazard/Costa being out of form. There are currently just too many weaknesses in our team for me to be confident of a CL place.

Here's to hoping that changes by Sept 1st!

I also fancy our chances to get into the top 4, even if we don't make critical signings in the next few days, altough I have to say I am all for strengthen our squad.

Both Manchester clubs will be probably out of reach, which leaves us fighting with Arsenal, Tottenham, Leicester and Liverpool for the other two Champions League spots. None of these clubs have a superior squad compared to ours on paper. Even in the horrendous last season we only lost two games from eight against them.

Granted our defence is far away from solid, but it's not like Arsenals defensive line is much better is it? As Tomo mentioned Kante improved our defensive display already, which is crucial.In the first two games Ivanovic and Cahill also looked much better and solid than over long periods last year.

To add to that we may have the best strikers in our team and a player like Hazard can always make a difference on a good day. In direct duels against these teams mentioned above we might have the upper hand due to Contes ability to outcoaching teams with similar quality, as we all saw at the Euros.

With a little bit of luck we are certainly able to reach the top 4 this year with the current squad, but we could maximise our chances to do so in buying a good CB and LB to strengthen our defence.

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

But flipping it around if Kante is amazing for 30 games and Hazard 19 that alone probably secures at least 3rd. Not to mention we have two reliable strikers for the first time since 09/10.

The defenders may not have been upgraded on (yet) but the defence most certainly has been.

Kante protecting them plus a manager who is proven at covering a teams weakness is a massive boost, how many clear cut chances did we give West Ham and Watford? WHU didn't get any and Watford got about two.

To be fair Watford and WH are hardly yardsticks - WH are dire with 3-4 of their decent players missing... 

Our defence against City is what worries me - they will tear us open :( 

ivanovic is either CB or on the bench - he's just not quick enough now for FB position and is always caught in the wrong place. Cahil is also shaky, so Iva and Terry until Zouma returns....

He's starting to accept it. You can see it in those quotes. The club are failing him.

Many reliable sources said weeks ago that Conte wanted 4 or so new players. None have arrived. This should be a time when Chelsea are wealthier than ever before yet now we decide we won't spend the money.

Seriously, someone tell me how Man City can go out and buy 3 £50m players over the last couple of summers plus a few £40m players yet we can't? 

9 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Seriously, someone tell me how Man City can go out and buy 3 £50m players over the last couple of summers plus a few £40m players yet we can't? 

Ambitious

11 minutes ago, Pizy said:

He's starting to accept it. You can see it in those quotes. The club are failing him.

Many reliable sources said weeks ago that Conte wanted 4 or so new players. None have arrived. This should be a time when Chelsea are wealthier than ever before yet now we decide we won't spend the money.

What you fail to understand is first, the player has to want to come. Second, the club has to want to sell.