The Conte Thread

3 minutes ago, Pizy said:

With one player I can understand that. With every player we try!? We've been after about 6 targets and they've all failed. City have signed 7 players. Seven! 

We finished 10th and have signed ONE weekly starter!

I think that says it all right there.

If you guys were of the opinion that a lack of champions league football wasn't gonna be a problem well...

Teams know we're desperate now and are asking the club to back up a Brinks truck to sign mediocre targets. We are no longer in a position to do that and its as clear as day.

This was always gonna be a difficult window and not because of our board. Teams know what the Prem league's tv deal is worth, and also the amount of money we make in endorsements so they aren't taking any shorts. 

1 minute ago, Chelsea Legend 11 said:

I think that says it all right there.

If you guys were of the opinion that a lack of champions league football wasn't gonna be a problem well...

Teams know we're desperate now and are asking the club to back up a Brinks truck to sign mediocre targets. We are no longer in a position to do that and its as clear as day.

This was always gonna be a difficult window and not because of our board. Teams know what the Prem league's tv deal is worth, and also the amount of money we make in endorsements so they aren't taking any shorts. 

I think clubs of a certain stature can withstand a year out of the CL and still affect top caliber players. They just have to demonstrate their ambition and sell to the potential targets the "project." Maybe not the absolute world class ones, but still top players. 

We started so well with Kante and Michy. Why haven't we signed about 3 more players on their level? We can clearly attract that sort of player.

8 minutes ago, Pizy said:

I think clubs of a certain stature can withstand a year out of the CL and still affect top caliber players. They just have to demonstrate their ambition and sell to the potential targets the "project." Maybe not the absolute world class ones, but still top players. 

We started so well with Kante and Michy. Why haven't we signed about 3 more players on their level? We can clearly attract that sort of player.

I think the market for quality defenders has gotten so small its forcing teams like us to break transfer records to sign them. David Luiz went for close to 50m and that was like 3 yrs ago. After the year Stone had you'd think he'd be a £25m player... Not the case. So imagine what teams who have similar ambitions to ours are asking for their top defenders?

Looking at the bigger picture I feel the Chelsea power figures were caught out under preparing for this season. Admittedly Conte's commitment to Italy's EURO campaign delayed any transfers until he had a personal assessment of our squad. But simple things like identifying our squads weaknesses and proposing to Conte his choice in a world class LB, CB should have been initiated way before the season started. Although I feel the signings of Kante and Batshuayi were a excellent piece of business especially Kante.

However we left it too late in looking for top quality LB and CB. Now the market has hyper inflated with the crazy sales of Pogba and Higuain. We now just have to accept the market for what it is and spend the money. If we fail to do this than say goodbye to the Champions league next year and ironically the missed TV money would have already paid for the transfers we need now. 

Roman is still worth USD $8200m and if he wants to us to dominate England and Europe than he has give the green light to splash the cash.

1 hour ago, milan.cech said:

2vv8lg1.jpg

Well fucking done!

He had some unrealistic targets like Koulibaly,Romagnoli and Naingollan. We could have bought Stones,if Conte wanted to,even though I do not think Stones would have been our saviour because he is too raw in his game.

13 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

He had some unrealistic targets like Koulibaly,Romagnoli and Naingollan. We could have bought Stones,if Conte wanted to,even though I do not think Stones would have been our saviour because he is too raw in his game.

Lol this made my day :D 

What makes you believe we could have bought him this summer??? The same thing that happened to Stones last summer, happened to Koulibaly,Romagnoli and Naingollan this summer. So wait a minute, Jose also had unrealistic targets last season like Stones???

New coach, same old problems because the problem is not the coach, it's the board.

The sooner people realise we're no longer Chelsea of 2005 that can outbid & outspend everyone else the better. Both Manchester clubs have far more financial might than us now.

Conte should've been chasing after realistic projects like Stones & Paredes instead of Koulibaly & Nainggolan.

1 hour ago, milka said:

This graphic infuriates me. Two clubs that appointed a top manager just like we did, but they've each shown huge ambition and went out and signed every single target their managers wanted. We've spent less than half what those two have and are days away from missing out on almost all of our managers targets.

6 hours ago, Muzchap said:

To be fair Watford and WH are hardly yardsticks - WH are dire with 3-4 of their decent players missing... 

Our defence against City is what worries me - they will tear us open :( 

ivanovic is either CB or on the bench - he's just not quick enough now for FB position and is always caught in the wrong place. Cahil is also shaky, so Iva and Terry until Zouma returns....

Well we shipped 6 in 4 against the same teams last season so 2 in 2 is already an improvement.

I think people underestimate the difference Kante makes, he will help us control games more and the amount of times he cuts balls out before they can get to our defense is unreal.

23 minutes ago, Tautvix said:

Lol this made my day :D 

What makes you believe we could have bought him this summer??? The same thing that happened to Stones last summer, happened to Koulibaly,Romagnoli and Naingollan this summer. So wait a minute, Jose also had unrealistic targets last season like Stones???

New coach, same old problems because the problem is not the coach, it's the board.

Last year,Everton said that Stones in not for sale.After playing a shit year at Everton,Everton would of course sell Stones to the club that gives them the most money.City bought Stones for an big amount of money.Last year,Pogba did not want to leave.According to Pogba´s agent,Chelsea bid around 90 millions,but neither Juventus wanted to sell Pogba nor Pogba wanted to leave.That was a unrealistic target.

We could have gottenStones if we really wanted him,but Naingollan did not want to leave,Koulibaly and Romagnoli are not for sale,so that are targets that cannot be bought for any price.Don´t waste any time on unrealistic targets.

4 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Well we shipped 6 in 4 against the same teams last season so 2 in 2 is already an improvement.

I think people underestimate the difference Kante makes, he will help us control games more and the amount of times he cuts balls out before they can get to our defense is unreal.

He'll make a huge difference especially against the smaller sides. Even with him in our team I think we'll struggle against the United/City/Arse/Spuds/Liverpool's of the league because he'll have to pick up so much slack due to Matic and Cesc being woeful.

Lets see what happens when world class players are pressing r midfield and breaking through to our defense. Might not be pretty.

8 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Last year,Everton said that Stones in not for sale.After playing a shit year at Everton,Everton would of course sell Stones to the club that gives them the most money.City bought Stones for an big amount of money.Last year,Pogba did not want to leave.According to Pogba´s agent,Chelsea bid around 90 millions,but neither Juventus wanted to sell Pogba nor Pogba wanted to leave.That was a unrealistic target.

We could have gottenStones if we really wanted him,but Naingollan did not want to leave,Koulibaly and Romagnoli are not for sale,so that are targets that cannot be bought for any price.Don´t waste any time on unrealistic targets.

Well unrealistic targets became realistic for Man Utd and City... I just hope we don't become Arsenal because every class player is also unrealistic target for them.

Just now, Tautvix said:

Well unrealistic targets became realistic for Man Utd and City... I just hope we don't become Arsenal because every class player is also unrealistic target for them.

Maybe because they waited one season and met the asking price of the selling club.

I am quite sure that Napoli will sell Koulibaly for 60 mio. next season

Antonio Conte does not expect Chelsea to land first-choice transfer targets

Italian frustrated in attempts to bolster squad 
 He could move for Fiorentina’s Marcos Alonso

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/aug/26/antonio-conte-does-not-expect-chelsea-to-land-first-choice-transfer-targets

19 minutes ago, Pizy said:

He'll make a huge difference especially against the smaller sides. Even with him in our team I think we'll struggle against the United/City/Arse/Spuds/Liverpool's of the league because he'll have to pick up so much slack due to Matic and Cesc being woeful.

Lets see what happens when world class players are pressing r midfield and breaking through to our defense. Might not be pretty.

We wont struggle vs Arsenal, even last season they created nothing against us.

Also did Antonio say first choice transfer targets or targets full stop? If its the former I'm guessing Maskimovic will be the one we try and get now.

3 minutes ago, Tomo said:

We wont struggle vs Arsenal, even last season they created nothing against us.

Also did Antonio say first choice transfer targets or targets full stop? If its the former I'm guessing Maskimovic will be the one we try and get now.

As usual, Chelsea TV was having issues so I couldn't actually watch the presser, but judging by the quotes I think he's saying his top choices may not be attainable. Let's hope Maksimovic happens.