The Mourinho Thread

I think we've done some fantastic business this window which puts us in a strong position. If Costa can find form early we will be a real force to be reckoned with. Talent like Matic, Fabregas, Hazard and Schurrle are up there with the best midfield in the world IMO.

There you go people. No loans cause he wants them to learn. Some will still complain. Smh.

yeah, because I've been wondering what people were questioning about his decision to keep them in the first team.

Did people honestly expect them to have match time promptly? If you're training under José Mourinho at age 17, 18, 19 or even 20, that's a feat in itself and it'll certainly help your development into a senior player. Anyone was aware they wouldn't have much play time, but that's all that is really important at this stage for these boys? It isn't and in the case of the ones kept in the u-21 they'll still have play time. But what Aké, Christensen and maybe Baker (relieved that he finally revealed his plans for the kid) have to go through is the same in any big team in the world. If there's an injury or an emergency plan is needed, you're there and you'll have minutes. When for whatever reason a player has to be spared, you'll have minutes. In the very first season those minutes could be very limited, but that's the natural process anywhere, the difference is when a team doesn't have such quality as Chelsea in the seniors, the youth is used more often, but they will be used at some point. I think people are a bit obsessed with our youth players being incorporated in the first team - within reason, as Mourinho said, it became a graveyard, but everyone - players and fans - should also be patient and aware this is a step-by-step process.

yeah, because I've been wondering what people were questioning about his decision to keep them in the first team.

Did people honestly expect them to have match time promptly? If you're training under José Mourinho at age 17, 18, 19 or even 20, that's a feat in itself and it'll certainly help your development into a senior player. Anyone was aware they wouldn't have much play time, but that's all that is really important at this stage for these boys? It isn't and in the case of the ones kept in the u-21 they'll still have play time. But what Aké, Christensen and maybe Baker (relieved that he finally revealed his plans for the kid) have to go through is the same in any big team in the world. If there's an injury or an emergency plan is needed, you're there and you'll have minutes. When for whatever reason a player has to be spared, you'll have minutes. In the very first season those minutes could be very limited, but that's the natural process anywhere, the difference is when a team doesn't have such quality as Chelsea in the seniors, the youth is used more often, but they will be used at some point. I think people are a bit obsessed with our youth players being incorporated in the first team - within reason, as Mourinho said, it became a graveyard, but everyone - players and fans - should also be patient and aware this is a step-by-step process.

People don't know what they want. They want trophies, but they also want youth., completely ignoring the fact it's nearly impossible to win anything with youth. If you catch Jose's eye, you're doing something right. I agree that it's more beneficial to Ake, Baker, Boga, and Christensen to train and learn with the senior team than playing with a midtable Premier or Championship side. They won't play a ton, but a few sub appearances in the PL, and FA Cup and COC is good, which Mou said they would play. Also they are good just for depth. People get excited cause they want another player from the academy, so they are impatient. I'm glad Mou acknowledged the negatives of our youth system, he knows people want us to develop players, but as you said, it's a process. We'll get there, fingers crossed for Baker!

We need to makes sure we keep Mourinho for a few years, stability is key when promoting youth. Jose knows most if not all of the youth players now and is keeping an eye on all of them. Lets say Jose gets fired, we hire another manager who knows he has get off to the best possible start so he spends £100 million or so on new players meaning the youngsters get loaned out or sold... it's just a never ending cycle.

It's exciting buying world class players but nothing feels better than academy players making it. I'm getting sick of Chelsea being labeled as some sort of 'graveyard for youngsters', it's true but i'm so desperate for that to change. I cant even get excited when watching the Youth Cup or u21 games... i'm sure we have players of the same caliber as the likes of Shaw, Sterling, Chambers, Ibe etc, we just need to give them a chance for gods sake.

Problem is Southampton are the only club who tend to promote youngsters at the first avalible opportunity, and look at what's happening now, they are going to have to see Shaw, Lallana, Chambers, Chamberlain, Walcott, Rodriguez return to the St Marys in opposition colours for the next decade, Bale is another one but he went abroad. If we adopted the same philosophy we would be a mid table club and lose the best one's to.

I would much rather take the patient approach and see Baker for example come fully in at 21 22 and spend his whole career here.

Realistically we are unlikely to make teenagers a trusted member of the squad unless they are a freak of nature.

Problem is Southampton are the only club who tend to promote youngsters at the first avalible opportunity, and look at what's happening now, they are going to have to see Shaw, Lallana, Chambers, Chamberlain, Walcott, Rodriguez return to the St Marys in opposition colours for the next decade, Bale is another one but he went abroad. If we adopted the same philosophy we would be a mid table club and lose the best one's to.

I would much rather take the patient approach and see Baker for example come fully in at 21 22 and spend his whole career here.

Realistically we are unlikely to make teenagers a trusted member of the squad unless they are a freak of nature.

That's my whole point, it's why i want Mourinho to stay for many years. I'm not saying we should just throw every talented youngster into the deep end, no, we have a fantastic team this season and i expect the youngsters to get their chance in the Cup competitions. Ferguson had a similar approach, first he had a winning team and than promoted youth players so they can train with the first team and play in cup competitions, every year he would slowly use them more and more.

First of all, we need to keep one manager.

Ancelloti liked mcaecran and he got sacked, that was the end for the lad.

AVB liked sturridge after he never got a chance.

RDM liked Bertrand but now he's gone.

Benitez liked Ake and now he rarely plays.

When Jose gets his liked player we can't afford to sack him or the cycle continues.

People don't know what they want. They want trophies, but they also want youth., completely ignoring the fact it's nearly impossible to win anything with youth.

People do know what they want; they're not asking to thrust Bamford, Chalobah or <take your pick here> into the spine of the team, what they're asking for is a talented, homegrown player that they can identify with to at least be a part of the squad. It's frustrating when we'd rather spend £18m on Yuri Zhirkov to play 50 games for us than trust someone that came through our ranks to do that job. It's also frustrating when Paulo Ferreira and Hilario hang around till they're 35 while Todd Kane and Jamal Blackman cool their heels in the reserves or at Blackburn. You may not win anything with youth when they're all you have but you won't go far wrong when you're using them to supplement established, 'finished article' types like Lampard and Terry. Somewhat akin to the little decorations at the tip of the brances on a christmas tree, not the stem itself.

But like James said above, it's only possible when we trust a manager to handle and shape the team to his ideas over an extended period of time.

People do know what they want; they're not asking to thrust Bamford, Chalobah or <take your pick here> into the spine of the team, what they're asking for is a talented, homegrown player that they can identify with to at least be a part of the squad. It's frustrating when we'd rather spend £18m on Yuri Zhirkov to play 50 games for us than trust someone that came through our ranks to do that job. It's also frustrating when Paulo Ferreira and Hilario hand around till they're 35 while Todd Kane and Jamal Blackman cool their heels in the reserves or at Blackburn. You may not win anything with youth when they're all you have but you won't go far wrong when you're using them to supplement established, 'finished article' types like Lampard and Terry. Somewhat akin to the little decorations at the tip of the brances on a christmas tree, not the stem itself.

But like James said above, it's only possible when we trust a manager to handle and shape the team to his ideas over an extended period of time.

To be fair, neither Kane or Blackman look like their good enough for Chelsea's first team

Paulo Ferreira was a dependable squad player and i'm glad Chelsea kept him around till last season.

Love it, love it, absolutely loving it!!! Boga, brown, baker, solanke probablt bamford in a couple of seasons. Ake and chirstensen already there. Expecting atleast 2/3/4 of them to make it big.

Suprising that their is no mention of RLC!!!

People do know what they want; they're not asking to thrust Bamford, Chalobah or <take your pick here> into the spine of the team, what they're asking for is a talented, homegrown player that they can identify with to at least be a part of the squad.

Pretty much. Once you've got that spine established then you can trust youngsters and the older players will carry them.

Keeping Ake around is fantastic because he's a wonderful young player, he's versatile and he's consistently improved in his time here which is exactly what you want from youngsters. Christensen needs to be kept around because he's just not ready to go out on-loan yet. He's a lovely player on the ball, he's got decent physical attributes but defensively there are still massive things to work on and I think Mourinho, JT and Cahill are great people to learn from.

I just think it's a shame that Chalobah went from having a great season in the Championship to being messed around by the club last year and now we're looking for another loan for him whilst Mikel continues to earn £75k p/w despite being, well... him.

To be fair, neither Kane or Blackman look like their good enough for Chelsea's first team

Paulo Ferreira was a dependable squad player and i'm glad Chelsea kept him around till last season.

Blackman doesn't look like he's good enough but Hilario and Turnbull were? I don't understand why we kept Hilario around last season instead of Jamal. He can't be that bad?!

Paulo made a grand total of 16 appearances in his last two seasons at the club, only half of those in the league. What exactly did he bring to the table that Kane couldn't? He didn't need to have a roster spot to be a good influence around the dressing room.

And to reiterate, I'm not talking about prominent roles, just to 'fill in' for a handful of games a season when they're required to come in and do a job. It's a question of will at the end of the day.

Blackman doesn't look like he's good enough but Hilario and Turnbull were? I don't understand why we kept Hilario around last season instead of Jamal. He can't be that bad?!

Paulo made a grand total of 16 appearances in his last two seasons at the club, only half of those in the league. What exactly did he bring to the table that Kane couldn't? He didn't need to have a roster spot to be a good influence around the dressing room.

And to reiterate, I'm not talking about prominent roles, just to 'fill in' for a handful of games a season when they're required to come in and do a job. It's a question of will at the end of the day.

I think what he's trying to say is that Paulo and the two goalkeepers are infact better players who would effortlessly fit into the life of first teamer than the other young players who would need the club to have more stability to see themselves as last case choice.

Not to mention that Paulo as an individual is a really good professional and a fantastic role model to have in the dressing room.

but I get where you're coming from, especially that neither Paulo or the goalkeepers had a huge involvement with the first team (though Paulo did have that decent game against a tough Benfica side) . It's the confidence that the manager has on players like Kane and Jamal that we've missed for a long time.

I think what he's trying to say is that Paulo and the two goalkeepers are infact better players who would effortlessly fit into the life of first teamer than the other young players who would need the club to have more stability to see themselves as last case choice.

I agree stability is imperative for this reality to change and I said so above; I've been saying it since a while now. It's nice to see Mourinho saying the things he's been saying over the last couple of days but forgive me for being a little circumspect till the words get translated into action for nobody knows what'll happen at the end of the season.