The Mourinho Thread

And how is he still wearing Paul Scholes shirt is beyond me.....Horrid diving shit

and Moyes seems to be completely forgotten about Kagawa..he could have had a great career at Dortmund with Klopp, now he has to learn from Moyes who seems to be having no clue what to do with his midfield.

This is exactly why Mata would not go to Man United unless he wants to be a winger again...

By the way watching Fellaini yesterday United have been completely fleeced of 28M for him.....considering the position he played yesterday is the position where Kagawa should be, not Fellaini and how Ashley Young is still playing at this level is fucking beyond me.....he's shite.

I'm not that sure about Fellaini since it's early days and he did look better in the second half when he stepped up the pitch - though prob more about City slowing down than him. It's a major change for him and he will have to improve quickly when sitting deep because I agree he isn't good enough for a CAM position.

However, I agree about Young. I look at him and always wonder how that guy can be both United and England International. He runs with his head down!!!! That's a major red flag in football...

This is exactly why Mata would not go to Man United unless he wants to be a winger again...

Mata won't go to United because the manager there is Moyes. If he were to go to United, i'm sure Moyes will build the team around him as the CAM.

I will be scared if RM shows interest in him.

But my gut says none of is gonna happen. Mourinho have plans for him, i guess

Mata won't go to United because the manager there is Moyes. If he were to go to United, i'm sure Moyes will build the team around him as the CAM.

I will be scared if RM shows interest in him.

But my gut says none of it ain't happening.

Why would they built around Mata, when both Rooney and RVP are better players.. Can you name me a significant cam from Man United or even Everton?

Also, I said this last season, Mata wouldn't sniff RM or Barca starting 11.

Why would they built around Mata, when both Rooney and RVP are better players.. Can you name me a significant cam from Man United or even Everton?

Also, I said this last season, Mata wouldn't sniff RM or Barca starting 11.

I don't think Moyes is that type of manager to force a player out of his favoured position. Mata will be an CAM if he was at United. Why are we discussing this????

and coming to the Spanish giants, If he can make the starting 11 at the Spanish side, he sure as hell make the first team at both Barca and Madrid.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised about this, but have you noticed the lack of coverage by any media outlet on Jose's SkySports post-game interview? Aside from his digs at Redknapp and Gullit, no-one's actually paid attention to that interview.

It was so insightful for the fans and anyone else that if someone wrote a half-decent article with quotes from that interview, a lot of people in modern football would think "oh, this makes sense, now I understand what Mourinho is trying to do".. Alas no. He's ignored, and the Mata rhetoric continues.

I was indeed a very insightful interview and at the same time disappointing. He's essentially saying that change will come very slow and we are prob going back to the boring (and old) counter-attacking football for the foreseeable future.

Which is surprising because Roman was quoted saying he wanted a different style at some point.

I was indeed a very insightful interview and at the same time disappointing. He's essentially saying that change will come very slow and we are prob going back to the boring (and old) counter-attacking football for the foreseeable future.

Which is surprising because Roman was quoted saying he wanted a different style at some point.

Where was that Roman quote?..

And yea I can see how that might come across, especially on the evidence of how we played against Fulham & Everton. But I don't think that's the actual strategy he's trying to implement, I think that's how it's going to start. We're going to go to that against teams that will put all 11 behind the ball when we're in possession and hopefully the end goal will be that expansive, fast tempo game we all crave.

I'm not belittling Benitez, I was one of very few people defending him last season and I even wrote an article explaining how he had done a good job regardless if we won the EL or made top 4 (and got crucified for it).

I'm not disagree with any of what you are saying, but all those were a quick-fix for certain areas and certain situations but not an overall system. And even those enhancements were based on individual player skills. For example, our entire plan to get the ball from defense to attack when the other team is not in transition was based on Azpi's ability on the ball. If he was not playing, or the opposition decide to mark him, we had to rely on Luiz's under 10% accuracy long balls. Even in the defense, Rafa improved some aspects like you said by having the wingers track back and we actually started defending in midfield rather than on the edge of our own box like we did under RDM. But it was all still depending on individual player ability to defend in certain situations and we did not have a clear tactical system in our defending. Did we look to press high and overrun the opposition in midfield? Did we look to retrieve the ball by forcing the opposition to the flanks? Did we look pack the box and win the ball deep? I personally didn't see any of that.

I'm not blaming Benitez for any of that. He was asked for immediate success and he delivered. Plus he had no time on the training ground to implement a new system. Instead, he tried to improve certain aspects, and he also worked on improving the players individually which was beneficial not for last season alone but will certainly help us this season and the ones to come. But the point I was making that what Jose is trying to do now is more complicated and if it took Rafa two months to implement have his mark on the team, Jose should get the same at the very least.

Whether or not Rafa would have done well this season is a completely different debate and a hypothetical one that I honestly see no point in going into at the moment since we have more than enough real problems to discuss :P

Thank you, for that valuable contribution to the discussion :doh:

I understand what you are saying. For me we had a system where depending on the oppositions, he would decide on the trap-zone, where to press.

Against Wigan, we decided to trap them on the midfield line, blocking the side of the pitch, putting numbers on the side and centrally and they were unable to switch sides and we were countering them at will.

Against West Ham, it was Hazard Mata working in tandem quite deep in front of their midfield, initiating the play, breaking their midifeld lines.

Against Steaua on the return, Hazard stayed near the side lines and was only moving inside when he had drawn two three opposing midfield.

And the fact that Lampard and Ramires had good opportunies to shoot, run from deep and and the second ball, it was because the movement of the forward and the three behind were causing lot of problems for their defense.

It would have been even better if we had proper holding midfielders that were more calm and could keep the ball to play a rest game in possession to kill the games off.

We had a general system, the build-up from the back was methodical, a gameplan with the "wingers" cutting inside or not and when.

Ok he relied on individual capabilities to execute it but it's the same with all sports. In Basket for example, if you had players with not good ability, it would mess the system, the timing of screens, blocks, backdoor drive.

I don't disagree with him being calm and pragmatic in the team talks especially in a 'bad moment' like this but don't quite like the idea he has been playing at of managing a young squad. We only have a few young players in Schurrle, Hazard, Oscar, De Bruyne and Van Ginkel in the squad. The rest are mostly experienced and senior players and yet he seem to be constantly banging about like he's managing a squad with every player being U23.

but where resides most of our problems? Where do we complain more often? At least my most frequent complaints lies in the AM... where we are 100% U23. Eto'o and Torres can only be blamed so much if there aren't exactly too many chances created for them. And even if he decides to complain with them. It's clearly a physical problem for one and a technical problem for the other. Mourinho can try to peel them alive, it won't change because it isn't an attitude problem whereas with our AM it could be.

Also the more he speaks, the more I'm convinced that's the biggest problem he actually has with Hazard.

Where was that Roman quote?..

And yea I can see how that might come across, especially on the evidence of how we played against Fulham & Everton. But I don't think that's the actual strategy he's trying to implement, I think that's how it's going to start. We're going to go to that against teams that will put all 11 behind the ball when we're in possession and hopefully the end goal will be that expansive, fast tempo game we all crave.

That was quoted ad nauseam at the time of AVB. AVB was hired to implement a different style of football, which he began by benching players who wouldn't work in his system; essentially the same thing Mourinho is doing now.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1783936-juan-mata-will-be-a-better-player-for-jose-mourinhos-rough-treatment-at-chelsea

Interesting article from Guillem Balague about Juan Mata and Mourinho. Comparing his treatment to how Arda Turan was treated in the beginning by Simeone but now both he and the team are improved.

I understand what you are saying. For me we had a system where depending on the oppositions, he would decide on the trap-zone, where to press.

Against Wigan, we decided to trap them on the midfield line, blocking the side of the pitch, putting numbers on the side and centrally and they were unable to switch sides and we were countering them at will.

Against West Ham, it was Hazard Mata working in tandem quite deep in front of their midfield, initiating the play, breaking their midifeld lines.

Against Steaua on the return, Hazard stayed near the side lines and was only moving inside when he had drawn two three opposing midfield.

And the fact that Lampard and Ramires had good opportunies to shoot, run from deep and and the second ball, it was because the movement of the forward and the three behind were causing lot of problems for their defense.

It would have been even better if we had proper holding midfielders that were more calm and could keep the ball to play a rest game in possession to kill the games off.

We had a general system, the build-up from the back was methodical, a gameplan with the "wingers" cutting inside or not and when.

Ok he relied on individual capabilities to execute it but it's the same with all sports. In Basket for example, if you had players with not good ability, it would mess the system, the timing of screens, blocks, backdoor drive.

I honestly don't disagree with any of that (except the bolded part). But you do see how that differs from a whole footballing philosophy that Jose is trying to build, right? I'm not saying that Jose is better, because there can't be a comparison between Jose and Rafa here because the two situations cannot be compared. But I guess the point of discussion here is that I believe that we could not have continued with the same Benitez "tactics" we had last season because they did not define the club or the way we wanted to play (and because it was too reliant on individual players). What we need, and what the the club obviously wants is a new philosophy like the one we installed back in 2004 and that has stayed with the club for 8 years despite all the players that have come and go.

As for the bolded part, I wholeheartedly disagree. The movement of the front three was not better last season but the players found more players for a couple of reasons. First, the reason I already touched on, and that is that teams did not play as defensive against us last season as they are now. Just look at how Basel played against us last season as compared to last Wednesday. The other is that part of the philosophy that Jose is trying to implement is playing possession football high up the pitch which means that the opposition will be condensed in the their third making spaces for harder to find without proper movement, movement that we have yet to perfect. While last season most of the possession we had was in our own half and with the back four which meant that the opposition players were spread out over two thirds of the pitch instead of one; meaning there was bound to be more space.

I don't think Moyes is that type of manager to force a player out of his favoured position. Mata will be an CAM if he was at United. Why are we discussing this????

and coming to the Spanish giants, If he can make the starting 11 at the Spanish side, he sure as hell make the first team at both Barca and Madrid.

Have you seen Moyes's team selections this season? He is ignoring players like Kagawa, Nani and Zaha for on off form Valencia, a 40 year old Giggs, a below average Welbeck and dreadful Young.

Atleast we are playing a top player while Mata is not playing, what Moyes is doing with those for-mentioned players is borderline criminal.

United need to get back to out and out wingers. They spent nigh on all summer chasing a midfield player, and rightly so but the identity the have lost is what has been their trademark for years.......chalk on the boots wingers. Valencia has been shoved at right back, and let's be honest he was one of those players selected against us he always gave us a rough ride, he's a clever player but only as a right winger, not RB.

It's just too central for united right now.....Carrick, Fellaini, Cleverley and Rooney are all squeezed in to one area with no outlet.