The Mourinho Thread

Matt Law's Chelsea briefing tmg_smt_glyph_sport.png

The long-term pain of Mourinho's short-term gain

By Matt Law Football News Correspondent

Hazard and Barkley celebrate <br>

Are Chelsea still paying for Mourhino's mistakes? (credit: Reuters)

It has become fashionable to blame everything on Jose Mourinho of late, so why should this newsletter be any different? If you can’t beat them, join them. 

There is a school of thought around Chelsea that the club are still paying the price for Mourinho’s mistakes during his second spell in charge and they may never fully recover.

Now unable to outspend rivals such as Manchester City and Liverpool, Chelsea are figuring out how they might start to bridge the gap that was startlingly highlighted in the 6-0 thrashing at the Etihad Stadium.

It may well have been easier if Chelsea, like so many other clubs, had not been seduced by Mourinho’s powers of persuasion.

In the two-and-a-half years that Mourinho was back at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea sold Kevin De Bruyne and Romelu Lukaku – two of the players the club had planned their future around.

Andre Villas-Boas once questioned why Chelsea were signing players from Belgium when, in his view, they should be looking to Portugal and South America.

But the answer came back that the best young talent available at that time was in Belgium and Chelsea believed they could build a strategy around De Bruyne and Lukaku.

Unfortunately, as has happened at so many clubs he has won titles with, Mourinho was effectively handed the keys when he returned to Chelsea and out went De Bruyne and Lukaku in successive summers.

His short-termism paid off to some degree as Nemanja Matic was re-signed with the £18 million Chelsea received for De Bruyne and the Serb made a big early impact.

Similarly, nobody was pining for Lukaku when Diego Costa came in and started to bully opposition defences. Matic and Costa were key players in the 2014/15 Premier League title success.

But the short-term gain is resulting in long-term pain for Chelsea, who have seen De Bruyne blossom into one of the best players in Europe and have struggled to replace Costa.

Lukaku may not have been a big success at Manchester United, but there is evidence to suggest he would have been a better successor to Costa than Alvaro Morata who has now been replaced by on-loan Gonzalo Higuain.

Mohamed Salah is a slightly different case as it was Mourinho who pushed hard for the Egyptian’s signing before then completely losing faith and interest in him.

But it is incredible to think all three players were allowed to leave under the watch of the Portuguese.

Chelsea have been accused, with some justification, of making big mistakes in the transfer market when trying to replace the likes of Costa, Matic, John Terry and Ashley Cole.

But the biggest error of all was surely to let Mourinho freeze out and sell players Chelsea could have built a team around for the next 10 years.

Ex-Manchester United boss Mourinho: I would like to manage in France

http://www.espn.com/soccer/manchester-united/story/3777981/ex-manchester-united-boss-mourinho-i-would-like-to-manage-in-france

Seems like PSG might be in for him in the future. 

23 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Can't see PSG owners wanting him. 

Honestly think hes one of the best suited managers they can get for their CL dream. In the short term, with all the backing PSG could offer, on top of the likes of having Verratti, Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani, Thiago Silva and Marquinhos already the guy could realisitcally get them to a CL final I think. I think Tuchel is too much of an idealisitc manager like Sarri, to be able to instill that win at all costs mentality which undoubtly comes at the cost of the teams playing style sometimes. Mourinho or Zidane on the otherhand...

1 minute ago, OneMoSalah said:

Honestly think hes one of the best suited managers they can get for their CL dream. In the short term, with all the backing PSG could offer, on top of the likes of having Verratti, Neymar, Mbappe, Cavani, Thiago Silva and Marquinhos already the guy could realisitcally get them to a CL final I think. 

Mourinho is a dead manager. His style, tactics, and way of managing is so outdated. PSG want attacking football and they know the baggage Mourinho brings.

Just now, MoroccanBlue said:

Mourinho is a dead manager. His style, tactics, and way of managing is so outdated. PSG want attacking football and they know the baggage Mourinho brings.

Maybe but I wouldnt be surprised. He would be given a blank chequebook at PSG to win the CL. Throw in how good some of them players are and if they buy into his methods, hed be able to deliver on a short term basis I feel. Stranger things have happened.

9 hours ago, manpe said:

If PSG don't want to force out Neymar and/or Mbappe they would be wise to stay clear of Mourinho. 

They will leave anyway in a year or two...

8 hours ago, Nicco said:

Lets hope it happens so Mourinho can take his child Willian with him.

Willian wouldn't make it to the PSG bench even with Mourinho.

• 2 weeks later...

He's sounding almost human and feeling apathy with Sarri!

That Bein interview was back in Jan and he got paid £120k for it!

Jose Mourinho explains when Sarri-ball will really start to work at Chelsea

The former Blues boss has been speaking about Maurizio Sarri at Stamford Bridge

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/news/jose-mourinho-explains-sarri-ball-15915046

Mourinho is going back to Real Madrid! 

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11835/11656553/jose-mourinho-tops-real-madrids-list-of-managerial-candidates-says-ramon-calderon

Jose Mourinho is the first choice to take over at Real Madrid and has already been approached by the club, according to former president Ramon Calderon.

José Mourinho predicted to be back at Real Madrid within days

Former president Ramón Calderón believes move is imminent 
 ‘Mourinho will be the perfect shield against the unhappiness’

José Mourinho could be back in charge of Real Madrid as early as Monday, according to the club’s former president Ramón Calderón. Mourinho, sacked by Manchester United in December, has been linked with a return to the Bernabéu, with Santiago Solari’s future in doubt after Real went out of the Champions League to Ajax this week.

Mourinho spent three tempestuous seasons at Real Madrid between 2010 and 2013, winning La Liga in 2012 but also falling out with Sergio Ramos and Iker Casillas as well as his Barcelona counterpart at the time, Pep Guardiola.

However, Calderón thinks the time is right for Mourinho’s second coming in Madrid. “I understand Mourinho will sign a deal for the remainder of this season and for another three years, with a net salary of £17m per year,” Calderón wrote in the i newspaper.

“For the president [Florentino Pérez], Mourinho will be the perfect shield against the unhappiness in the media, the fans and the players. But it will not be easy and I predict it will be very difficult over the next three months.”

On the possibility of friction between Mourinho and Ramos, Calderon added: “It remains to be seen what Ramos will do. The fans love him, he is one of the most important players and he wants to see out the rest of his career at Real Madrid.”

Mourinho was asked about going back to Real during a recent appearance on beIN SPORTS. He said: “Would I go back to a club I’ve been at before? If I thought it was the right club, right structure, the right ambitions, no problem at all.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Jose Mourinho ready for talks over becoming next Newcastle United manager

EXCLUSIVE: Billionaire looking to buy Newcastle has Mourinho on his wish-list — and rock-star boss isn't ruling it out

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-newcastle-united-manager-16482660

giphy.gif

• 1 month later...

Cole snubs Mourinho when picking best Chelsea boss

https://www.goal.com/en/news/cole-snubs-mourinho-when-picking-best-chelsea-boss/19d6wgb7phzgq15nj12c3x3lmy

f861c66cb6560dc673137ae9728a32d8.jpg

The former Blues defender enjoyed success under the Portuguese coach in west London, but considers others to have done more for his game

Ashley Cole has snubbed Jose Mourinho when selecting his favourite Chelseaboss, with Carlo Ancelotti considered to have been the “number one”.

The Blues were transformed into a dominant force domestically and serious contenders on the European stage by the legendary Portuguese coach.

Cole, though, was to move to Stamford Bridge as Mourinho’s first spell at Chelsea began to unravel.

The former England international did taste FA Cup and League Cup successes, but had to wait for a first Premier League title with the Blues.

Ancelotti, as part of a double triumph, delivered that and Cole believes the Italian is the finest manager he worked with in west London.

An iconic left-back who spent eight years with Chelsea, told the club’s official website when reflecting on his career: “I think the managers who suited my style were more attacking, which is how I had played at Arsenal.

“When [Luiz Felipe] Scolari came in I felt at my best. I felt I blossomed under him and got back to playing with confidence.

“Ancelotti was my number one. We played with tactics, obviously, but he gave you a freedom and I was able to attack. That double season in 2009-10 was probably my best season.

“It was the most I scored in a season, I felt I was unbeatable in defence and was linking up with others well.

“I had a great relationship with Florent Malouda on the left wing, JT [John Terry] next to me and Frank [Lampard] on that left side of the midfield three. I was able to make runs in behind and was always in dangerous spots inside the box.”

snip

• 5 weeks later...