Jase

Man of the Match  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't watch the game, nor did I listen to any commentary. I went to watch Derby-Chesterfield with my mate and thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon.

When I heard the half-time score of 2-1 I was pleasantly surprised as our first half performances in cup games are usually staid and uninspiring. When I saw the 4-2 final score, I could barely believe my eyes. Then I saw City, Southampton and Spurs are all out. Add United's draw with Cambridge last night and you can see this competition still has a bit of the old spark left. Whoever said the FA Cup is dead?

However, this is the calmest, most ambivalent I have ever been about a Chelsea defeat. I wouldn't go as far as saying I don't care, but when I say I was more upset at the fact we "only" won 5-0 at Swansea than I am about this result, I'm not lying. In fact I'm almost relieved.

With City losing, us going to a replay and then potentially staying in the FA Cup could have been disastrous, especially with a potential League Cup final on the horizon. City will punish every misstep we take in the Premier League and stretching our clearly thinner-than-first-thought squad across four competitions throughout the season would only lead to disappointment, the same way it did in 2007/08.

However some of the reactions on here are hilarious. Yes, José rotated too many players and we were incredibly poor after half-time. But this is the FA Cup. Bradford were absolutely magnificent and I just have to say we were simply beaten by the better team on the day. I'll support them for the remainder of the competition.

Let me make this abundantly clear: I'd be happy for Liverpool to stuff us on Tuesday and PSG to do us 6-0 on aggregate if it means we win the Premier League. Four years is too long for a club of our size not to win a league title. In the grand scheme of things, the domestic cups mean nothing.

It's very difficult to predict such traits though. Remember when Ivanovic first came to the limelight? He was just filling in because of suspensions/injuries and managed to score two-headers past Liverpool in the Champions League. He was quite unknown and we weren't really sure as to his qualities. Eventually he started coming across as a vocal guy.

The same can be done for any number of players who just need to find their confidence in this team. I look to the likes of Matic, Hazard & Azpilicueta to find their voices and their leadership qualities to grab games by the scruff of the neck. But to also spur the other players on and, if need be, whip them into shape. Like you see Rooney do sometimes.

I suppose you can tell "such traits" if.. he was, as you say, "filling in because of injuries". It's those sorts that want to prove a point... that they deserve to play more, and not just someone doing the latter, so they try and make their voice heard. Players like Mikel, Azpilicueta, and others should be doing that, because they need to prove that point to Mourinho. Instead, they show no promise, particularly in games we can (and should) win.

just saw the goals we conceded..our defence was too deep...we are very passive and everyone is ball watching and not blocking the shots...opposition can easily lay off to other players and beat this defensive system

Can't remember did we buy him?

Yes, Pasalic is a Chelsea player. Elche are just one of the worst La Liga sides. To be fair, Barca are now up due to an unusual strike from Pique off a free kick and a crap PK call on a counterattack. Neymar ran into the defender rather than the defender sticking his leg out at the last moment.

Let me make this abundantly clear: I'd be happy for Liverpool to stuff us on Tuesday and PSG to do us 6-0 on aggregate if it means we win the Premier League. Four years is too long for a club of our size not to win a league title. In the grand scheme of things, the domestic cups mean nothing.

Yep I'd go along with that!

I suppose you can tell "such traits" if.. he was, as you say, "filling in because of injuries". It's those sorts that want to prove a point... that they deserve to play more, and not just someone doing the latter, so they try and make their voice heard. Players like Mikel, Azpilicueta, and others should be doing that, because they need to prove that point to Mourinho. Instead, they show no promise, particularly in games we can (and should) win.

And this is the problem. The complacency in this team is going over Mourinho's head at times because he's a man of loyalty. If you're loyal to Mourinho, he returns the favour. Guys like Ivanovic and Cahill shouldn't be the core of this team but they persevere. I was, in fact, amazed that Essien was allowed to leave because of the paternal relationship José had with Essien.. But you see a 36-year old Drogba leading the line, when Loiic Remy is right there more than capable of doing the same job! With Drogba set to retire this season, it wouldn't surprise me if Mourinho convinced the club to offer him another year.

We need some new blood to freshen the place up :)

We've been bad for a while - and we've done well to be where we are now..

Couple of players out, some new in and we could kickstart the season Again!

Our start has really fucked us up - over confident - now paying the price.

We need to buy a couple of 'winners' to get us over the line and show the team how to win - once they get that mentality, will be hard to stop us...

Yeah I think we need a new defender and a new midfielder or a right winger and we should be good to go next season.

Fair play to Bradford, but that was absolutely disgraceful from Chelsea. Maybe the players will learn what it means to really give 110%.

We probably have the best starting 11 in the league, but in terms of the overall squad? I think today has answered that we could be screwed if even one of Hazard, Fabregas, Matic or even Costa become injured for a long period. For example, if we sold Schurrle and Hazard got injured, who the hell would we play there?! Players who are totally uncomfortable in the position. The thought certainly doesn't inspire confidence.

I didn't watch the game, nor did I listen to any commentary. I went to watch Derby-Chesterfield with my mate and thoroughly enjoyed my afternoon.

When I heard the half-time score of 2-1 I was pleasantly surprised as our first half performances in cup games are usually staid and uninspiring. When I saw the 4-2 final score, I could barely believe my eyes. Then I saw City, Southampton and Spurs are all out. Add United's draw with Cambridge last night and you can see this competition still has a bit of the old spark left. Whoever said the FA Cup is dead?

However, this is the calmest, most ambivalent I have ever been about a Chelsea defeat. I wouldn't go as far as saying I don't care, but when I say I was more upset at the fact we "only" won 5-0 at Swansea than I am about this result, I'm not lying. In fact I'm almost relieved.

With City losing, us going to a replay and then potentially staying in the FA Cup could have been disastrous, especially with a potential League Cup final on the horizon. City will punish every misstep we take in the Premier League and stretching our clearly thinner-than-first-thought squad across four competitions throughout the season would only lead to disappointment, the same way it did in 2007/08.

However some of the reactions on here are hilarious. Yes, José rotated too many players and we were incredibly poor after half-time. But this is the FA Cup. Bradford were absolutely magnificent and I just have to say we were simply beaten by the better team on the day. I'll support them for the remainder of the competition.

I get the sentiment but come on... Losing to Liverpool at home in a semi? ugly. I want the league this year too!

I agree with the sentiment but absolutely not.

The mark of a big team is being able to compete on more than one front. For the amount we pay our players and for our players there's no excuses not to have the depth to be able to juggle PL, CL & LC commitments. That's why it frustrates me when guys like Van Gaal and even Mourinho at times complain about the schedule. It's pretty weak that your players who make over £70,000/week aren't fit enough to play 2 matches a week lmao.