Jase

Man of the Match  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your Man of the Match?

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The team shouldn't need such shake ups like this. Last season we went trophyless, a phenomenon we're not so used to after the succession of silver for the last decade or so we've come to enjoy. Not to mention half this team aren't even title winners and should be hungry as anything for it.

You'd think exactly that after watching us at the beginning of this season. Nobody could touch us.. we were getting results that were making pundits and critics alike thinking we'd run away with every trophy imaginable. What with Fabregas and Costa pulling the strings...

This result brings us back down to reality. You can't just go an entire season thinking you can win everything and get away with periods/weather changes/mind games that are going to change the season around. That's what football does.

What I do agree with, is that changes need to be made.. do we go back to playing defensively and looking like a boring side? Or do we continue to look like an attacking force, that have every right to feel concerned about the opposition hitting us on the break with hardly any people back?

From the highlights:

- I'm not sure there was much that we could have done about the first goal we conceded; it was just a great strike.

- For the second goal we conceded, Zouma loses out in an aerial duel, and someone (Azpi or Remy?) has left their man free at the far post.

- Third goal: Azpi allows the cross in, it isn't cut out, and Ramires vacates a good position on the edge of the box to attempt an unnecessary tackle on the man in possession (this leaves space free for the goalscorer to run into)

- Fourth goal: From a counter? Players aren't in position, and Willian fails to track his man into the box (I think he was expecting Cahill to cover the run).

You'd think exactly that after watching us at the beginning of this season. Nobody could touch us.. we were getting results that were making pundits and critics alike thinking we'd run away with every trophy imaginable.

This result brings us back down to reality. You can't just go an entire season thinking you can win everything and get away with periods/weather changes/mind games that are going to change the season around. That's what football does.

What I do agree with, is that changes need to be made.. do we go back to playing defensively and looking like a boring side? Or do we continue to look like an attacking force, that have every right to feel concerned about the opposition hitting us on the break with hardly any people back?

I guess. But it's worrying me how it's been going this season since December really. We blew an 8 point lead during November-December and we're very lucky Arsenal managed to do the unthinkable to City last weekend to grant us a 5 point buffer again.

The games against Liverpool, City and PSG will be very important. This team is ready to challenge for the treble, but their mentality must be tested now. In 2004-07 we had leaders in Drogba, Terry, Lampard, Ballack, Essien, Cole. This season we've got Fabregas, Terry, Drogba. Leaders must emerge.. It's now or never for some of these guys.

From the highlights:

- I'm not sure there was much that we could have done about the first goal we conceded; it was just a great strike.

- For the second goal we conceded, Zouma loses out in an aerial duel, and someone (Azpi or Remy?) has left their man free at the far post.

- Third goal: Azpi allows the cross in, it isn't cut out, and Ramires vacates a good position on the edge of the box to attempt an unnecessary tackle on the man in possession (this leaves space free for the goalscorer to run into)

- Fourth goal: From a counter? Players aren't in position, and Willian fails to track his man into the box.

The fourth goal came in 90+ minutes to be fair. With an all-out-attack that goal was inevitable.

Well all Mikel detractors (myself included) have been pointing out that Mikel cannot be considered good enough if he can't adequately replace Matic. And he cannot.

He can't play alongside him either... just watch our demise to Sp*rs away again and you'll know what I mean.

Middlesbrough are a good side and will likely be in the Prem next season. City had a lot of clear-cut chances and were unlucky not to score. We conceded 4 goals to a Ligue 1 side after going 2-0 up at home.

I agree Middlesbrough are a pretty decent side but City were dire in attack. I don't know how you can say they had a lot of clear-cut chances. They had 1 or 2 clear chances - the Lampard shot that hit the post and the Boyata fluffed shot inside the area.

If anything City were very lucky to lose by 2 goals.

The fourth goal came in 90+ minutes to be fair. With an all-out-attack that goal was inevitable.

It probably was. Either way, it was the goal that mattered least in terms of the raw result; it just made the result sting all the more.

completely agree with this....our second team is full of chokers ..no match winners!! little bit of pressure they crumble..our 2004-06 side was far better in terms of mentality..our 2012 cl side

lack techincal skills but they had belief and that sheer determination got them the CL...we need match winners!!

The 2012 side was awful if we're honest. So according to you

Bad and lucky = belief and sheer determination

Bad and not lucky = chokers

We need some new blood to freshen the place up :)

We've been bad for a while - and we've done well to be where we are now..

Couple of players out, some new in and we could kickstart the season Again!

Our start has really fucked us up - over confident - now paying the price.

We need to buy a couple of 'winners' to get us over the line and show the team how to win - once they get that mentality, will be hard to stop us...

Our defence is more of a worry. We were 2-0 up!

We still need Cuadrado though. The defense will sort itself out. It's the lack of quality in attack without certain players or when those certain players are not at their best that worries me more.