The Board

Yeah... That's his job. He's our technical director. He heads our scouting system and the academy programs. He oversees all of it.

Him and Jose stepped it up this summer however. Match made in heaven I guess.

I know technically but I am not really referring to our dealing though(which I guess he is involved in a lot) but in general the change in policy. I doubt he would come in and go ''right, our current policy is crap and I am gonna change it all from bottom to the top''. I think Roman would need to be informed of the process and many people were involved in it. I am just thinking who is deserving the most credit for this, obviously Emenalo seems the choice but thinking about it is not just that simple.

Also yep I agree with your 2nd sentence, can't believe there were rumors of him resigning(club rejected) when Jose came back last summer. Would be true mistake looking back now.

As we can see we are now one of the best team in the world, with one of the most balanced squad in the BPL thanks to our great policy. I consider this policy revamp started in summer of 11 or 12. After the Torres signing and accelerated after our CL win. The policy has brought us in world class talents for great fees and all the gambled one(big fee) had paid off. This summer has been one of the best in transfer I have ever seen from the club, which makes me wonder:

Courtois 6m- Now worth more than 30-40m

Dave-10-12m?-Now at least 25m imo

Cahill 7m?- Now probably 30m considering he is English

Luis-15-20m-Too early to say anything but a class player signed for a reasonable fee, even if he flops there is nothing to regret

Zouma-7-12m? good fee, again similar to Kevin De Bruyne, if flops I am sure we can always flog off for 5-10m

Matic-one of our biggest mistake in the revamped period, but then again he might not have been that good due to limited opportunity

Fabregas-World class player for a good fee of 25-30m, admittedly thanks hugely to Arsene Wenger for being an idiot and refused to signed him this summer with the clause. Still we were so quick to act once it was known that he was for sale, even wrapped up the signing before WC starts

Hazard- Bargain, now probably worth around 100m considering fees for Bale, Suarez, James...etc

Oscar-Decent signing, probably barely justified his fee but now can always and will get better, even if worst case being sold to someone like PSG we will make a min loss at max(min 20m now for him) and likely a profit

Schurrle, Salah and Willian-Good signings, nothing spectacular but again got them for reasonable fees(maybe not for Willian but he was worth 20m anyway for me)

Costa-32m-revelation so far, could become one of the best striker in Chelsea history based on current form and if stays suspension/injury free

Also load of youngsters signed for OK fees, most sold for profit such as Lukaku and Kevin. Admittedly some fuck ups along the way like Matic, Marin...etc but overall we have actually done the best business for a while now.

So my question is who do you guys think are behind this new changed policy? Obviously FFP played a huge role but who is the mastermind behind this new recruitment strategy? I doubt Roman told the club to find new ways to operate because he won't fund signings anymore. Also it is unlikely that after spending years signing players for overpriced fees, we suddenly just become better at negotiation. Remember when we fucked up that Robinho signing?(thanks God), now we just signed Remy in 24 hours after showing interest, we don't fuck around anymore.

Also this change is reflected to clearly this summer when Jose admitted we didn't sign Shaw because essentially it was way overpriced(27-30m) with him demanding 100k per week. This policy also imo saw us past on Falcao and Cavani last summer, probably not for the best but we got Costa now so it doesn't matter anymore. This policy means we don't sign players for overpriced(or the club considered to be) fees anymore. We look across road to see MU overpaying for particularly every single player they sign now, whether world class or average. We look at Arsenal with their idiot manager scrambling for a CB, CDM, ST the whole summer and end up deadline day without really addressing any of his needs. It put into context how good our dealing are and has been. We look at Barcelona and they just spent 30m on 2 old/injury prone CB with 86m(or God knows what) on Neymar which sent the club into meltdown.

So is responsible for this success? Michael Emenalo? Roman insisting the club to change our way of operating? Or who else? Obviously not Mourinho as this process was started long before he was even back at the club and I doubt it was any past managers either seeing as most were sacked a very short time into their reign.

Identical threads created. Topics merged.

Only 3 teams with negative net spend. Consider we are one of the biggest teams in PL, the context of the transfers, and the quality (/lack of) of the players we bought (/got rid of) and there you have the absolute definition of a perfect summer.

@Chelsea Legend 11, The only player from 12 season I would have loved to kept besides the obvious one in Sturridge would have been Meireles.

He was very useful CM. Don't know why we let him go.

I like Raul but hard to find a place for him in this squad. We loaned out Van Ginkel....

I kept saying NO when Term said we had to get him at ANY price

Very easy to say that now, give it a few years and we'll come back to it, impossible to comment at the present.

Bit silly paying anything over £16m for a 29 year old to sit on the bench, although fair play to Ivanovic for stepping up. Shaw would have suited that bench role with him eventually being integrated, not a 29 year old.. they have to play to justify the price tag.

Arsenal have 6 English players, and we have 2.. it's disgraceful. This is a club first.. corporation later, you have to sustain the culture. As an English club we're doing nothing for the English game, it's painful to know liverpool have a 'potentially' world class player in Sterling.

Very easy to say that now, give it a few years and we'll come back to it, impossible to comment at the present.

Bit silly paying anything over £16m for a 29 year old to sit on the bench, although fair play to Ivanovic for stepping up. Shaw would have suited that bench role with him eventually being integrated, not a 29 year old.. they have to play to justify the price tag.

Arsenal have 6 English players, and we have 2.. it's disgraceful. This is a club first.. corporation later, you have to sustain the culture. As an English club we're doing nothing for the English game, it's painful to know liverpool have a 'potentially' world class player in Sterling.

I do agree in general that we need more HG players, however for this season I was prepared to temporarily put it on hold due to the need to 'complete' our squad to challenge at the top.

Next year will be when it needs to change back again, starting with John Stones hopefully.