John Stones

Sidzeret

So that's about £70m worth of CB's for City within a year. And people are worried about us paying half of that for Stones who is better than Mangala and much younger than Otamendi and has a higher ceiling.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do Real Madrid, Barca, United, City, or PSG even bat an eyelid when they're paying these enormous prices? No.

So why do so many people here care so much? Like José himself said a couple of days ago we of all big clubs have earned the right to splash and spend big after all the great work we've done in the market both spending intelligently and selling at huge profits.

If City (whose squad was already more expensive than ours) can spend £50m on Sterling and maybe £50m more on De Bruyne AND another £35-40m on Otamendi I think we can be sure that FFP is essentially toothless. PSG were "punished" by FFP last season just like City but that hasn't stopped them at all. United spent £60m on a 1 year rental of Di Maria for goodness sake!

You either spend big like the other big clubs or you become Arsenal of the last decade.

I think what it is is because we bought 2 good relatively cheap deals in Cescy/Costa and how we have bought into the clubs supposedly self proclaimed job of the FFP monitor we think that paying over the top for a player that we need and would hopefully give us years of use is too much and they go crazy.

We are trying to strengthen our weak 1st XI. Getting the team to a standard where we can challenge in Europe is going to be a long hard job. The begining of last year we looked like we were going to rule the world but it was because the rest of the PL were in the state we are in now.

Football like life is one big cycle. It goes round n round. The trick is to make the most of it when its our time.

31m pounds for Otamendi while we go and pay 35-40m for Stones. mugged.

Otamendi is not homegrown + older. Cant compare that all.

If we cant sign Stones go in for Laporte. One of the best CBs in the future in my opinion. Amazing talent, his release clause is at 50 m though and Bilbao wont negotiate.

31m pounds for Otamendi while we go and pay 35-40m for Stones. mugged.

Stones has had exactly as many good seasons as otamendi + 6 years younger and homegrown. Both are overpriced and we are getting mugged but otamendi is surely no benchmark

Do Real Madrid, Barca, United, City, or PSG even bat an eyelid when they're paying these enormous prices? No.

So why do so many people here care so much? Like José himself said a couple of days ago we of all big clubs have earned the right to splash and spend big after all the great work we've done in the market both spending intelligently and selling at huge profits.

If City (whose squad was already more expensive than ours) can spend £50m on Sterling and maybe £50m more on De Bruyne AND another £35-40m on Otamendi I think we can be sure that FFP is essentially toothless. PSG were "punished" by FFP last season just like City but that hasn't stopped them at all. United spent £60m on a 1 year rental of Di Maria for goodness sake!

You either spend big like the other big clubs or you become Arsenal of the last decade.

This is the way I see it. If the club is willing to pay £30+ mil for a young CB (mainly because of the English factor), I'd be disappointed if they aren't willing to pay £50-60 mil for a top offensive player or midfielder.

But the thing is, we pretend like we know things but we know nothing. It's possible Chelsea did offer such amounts for top players, but those players (or the clubs in the case of certain players) said no.

And if the the club pays £40 mil for Stones, you can be sure it will have an effect on the demands of future transfers.

Personally I was hoping for players to join this window to immediate improve the quality of the first XI.

So that's about £70m worth of CB's for City within a year. And people are worried about us paying half of that for Stones who is better than Mangala and much younger than Otamendi and has a higher ceiling.

I kinda hope Everton reject our final bid for Stones...just to see this thread go into meltdown. B)

I know he was older and he has severe limitations, but £7m for Gary Cahill looks an absolute steal now, doesn't it?

If young English defenders and a winger are going for these prices now, imagine how much an English striker will go for.

If Harry Kane has another big season they'll ask Bale money for him.

Otamendi imo is the best CB in the world atm, that is quite a statement to say Stones has a higher ceiling.

I know he was older and he has severe limitations, but £7m for Gary Cahill looks an absolute steal now, doesn't it?

He had six months to run on his contract. Bolton would of got nothing for him. They rejected £15m a few months previously for him didn't they? Spurs, if I remember correctly.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You