John Stones

Sidzeret

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he had a couple of years and a CL campaign on Stones, also inflation has to be considered aswell, not to mention the need for a HG core at the club.

Hopefully we can negotiate the price at around £20-25m but if we have to pay the extra few then so be it.

My problem isn't his price, but the actual quality of the player. I don't see the point of buying a CB who is apparently inferior to Cahill. If I'm not mistaken, he's been 4th choice CB for England in the past year or so. I'd get someone who would take Gary's spot rather than a player who can become better in the future. Zouma is supposed to be that player and he's already here.

My problem isn't his price, but the actual quality of the player. I don't see the point of buying a CB who is apparently inferior to Cahill. If I'm not mistaken, he's been 4th choice CB for England in the past year or so. I'd get someone who would take Gary's spot rather than a player who can become better in the future. Zouma is supposed to be that player and he's already here.

How is Stones inferior to Cahill?

Also, you do realise Stones is only 21 years old? It's normal that he's the 4th choice CB for England right now and even then, like lucio said above, we shouldn't be using that as a factor whether to sign Stones or not.

so the flavour of the month has been found - john stones.

30mil pounds... and people were laughing in the sterling thread about 50mil. LOL.

how exactly does buying stones make us any better currently?

people saying, we ll be set for 10 years, we already are for the next 5 with the likes of zouma and cahill and JT and iva. stones would not make us any better currently.

i hope we concentrate our energies on getting players that would actually improve the current squad.

How is Stones inferior to Cahill?

Also, you do realise Stones is only 21 years old? It's normal that he's the 4th choice CB for England right now and even then, like lucio said above, we shouldn't be using that as a factor whether to sign Stones or not.

England's CB duo isn't impressive. I don't understand why his age would prevent him from starting. See Varane for example. I don't know Stones well but I doubt the likes of Smalling and Cahill would be picked over him if he was the better player. And that's why I don't see why Mourinho would pick Stones over Cahill either.

Young players tend to receive too much praise for their performances because they're fresh and young. Smalling and Jones are (far) better players now than they were 4 years ago for example, but they receive a lot less praise now. They're used to be a time when both were talked about in the same fashion as Jones. I don't question Stones' potential according to many English football fans, but I wonder how good he really is right now. Like I've said before, I think we need real quality instead of a player for the future. Possibly in addition to the acquisition of Stones. Properly replacing Terry is crucial imo.

England's CB duo isn't impressive. I don't understand why his age would prevent him from starting. See Varane for example. I don't know Stones well but I doubt the likes of Smalling and Cahill would be picked over him if he was the better player. And that's why I don't see why Mourinho would pick Stones over Cahill either.

England's CB duo isn't impressive but one could simply argue that Hodgson simply prefers the more experienced players, regardless of their talent. Whether that is right or not is another debate but should also remember that, different player develops differently. Varane is something of an anomaly, if you like and if you don't think Mourinho would pick Stones over Cahill, then look at Zouma last season. Only got international recognition recently and he's probably for the 4th choice CB for France right now but that did not stop Mourinho from selecting him ahead of Cahill.

Young players tend to receive too much praise for their performances because they're fresh and young. Smalling and Jones are (far) better players now than they were 4 years ago for example, but they receive a lot less praise now. They're used to be time when both were talked about in the same fashion as Jones. I don't question Stones' potential according to many English football fans, but I wonder how good he really is right now. Like I've said before, I think we need real quality instead of a player for the future. Possibly in addition to the acquisition of Stones. Properly replacing Terry is crucial imo.

Think it's highly questionable to say Smalling and Jones are far better players now than they were 4 years ago. Don't think they have progressed much considering with the all injuries and constant changes at United - both on and off the pitch - in recent years.

There's no suggestion that our transfer business will stop if we get Stones. The club sees him as the replacement for Terry and is pursuing him before United, City or anyone else get him.

Jason has pretty much covered my response.

Love Stones. Truly one of the most promising young english players who for once deserve all the hype around him. He's also everything we want in a center back. He's fast, he anticipates and reads the game well, proactive but most importantly extemely comfortable with the ball at his feet.

I know the asking price is relatively high but he's a very complete young english defender with his best yet to come. We will be overpaying now but possibly secure the signing of a world class defender for the next ten years. If we pass on him now, there are very little chances that we find an english CB as good as him.

Zouma is an interesting player but I dont feel confidence and maturity in his game yet as do I with Varane or Stones and he's very limited with the ball mostly just getting rid of it when he has it. I'm hoping the board will make this happen

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You