John Stones

Sidzeret

My problem isn't his price, but the actual quality of the player. I don't see the point of buying a CB who is apparently inferior to Cahill. If I'm not mistaken, he's been 4th choice CB for England in the past year or so. I'd get someone who would take Gary's spot rather than a player who can become better in the future. Zouma is supposed to be that player and he's already here.

Stones has a much, much higher ceiling than Cahill ever did. He's already better than Cahill in certain areas of his game i.e. his ability on the ball and pro activity. He can also play RB very adequately. He's a proper complete defender. Would be a nice signing - hopefully he and Zouma become our new partnership in the future.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im optimistic we will sign him but it will be a protracted ordeal. I have a suspicion Man Utd will try as well if their pursuit of Ramos fails..

:rolleyes:

Ricardo Carvalho? Rio Ferdinand? Silva? Explain to me what you're implying again?

Implying you'll always get good defensive players on the cheap. No defender is worth splashing 30m on.

I'm confident we'll get him. We made a mistake choosing Filipe Luis over Shaw last summer, can't see us repeating the same mistake.

Whilst Shaw was a massive Chelsea fan growing up he would have joined United anyway because they offered him huge wages for a start and the promise of first team football. Shaw would have been in the same predicament as Luis.

On a different note, would be interesting to see what happens with Zouma if we do buy Stones. Although he impressed when he came in the team last season, he is still raw, especially technically but he is a great prospect and if we get Stones, his game time this season will be questionable. Maybe a loan to another Prem team where he is guarantee first team football on a regular basis would be benficial. Because if things go to plan, him and Stones could be our CB pairing for a good number of years.

I'm amazed at how many people do not rate Stones. It's perplexing actually how anyone can watch him play regularly and still consider him average and nothing special. I am curious to know which young defenders you all rate' higher than him in Europe. Varane is the only defender that's arguably better and that's it. I think some people are taking the "English talent are overrated" generalization/stereotypical view too far.

A Defender that combines the ball playing ability of a Hummels/Luiz with the defending ability of a top class defender are very rare and Stones is one of them.

Stones is a good defender, and he's english. Let's get him before we get to a point where we have no english players in our starting lineup.

26mil + a player on loan should do it. English players are the most expensive because of the homegrown quota, especially if you approach a club who don't need to sell (Carroll, Sterling, welbeck :doh:)

England's CB duo isn't impressive but one could simply argue that Hodgson simply prefers the more experienced players, regardless of their talent. Whether that is right or not is another debate but should also remember that, different player develops differently. Varane is something of an anomaly, if you like and if you don't think Mourinho would pick Stones over Cahill, then look at Zouma last season. Only got international recognition recently and he's probably for the 4th choice CB for France right now but that did not stop Mourinho from selecting him ahead of Cahill.

Think it's highly questionable to say Smalling and Jones are far better players now than they were 4 years ago. Don't think they have progressed much considering with the all injuries and constant changes at United - both on and off the pitch - in recent years.

There's no suggestion that our transfer business will stop if we get Stones. The club sees him as the replacement for Terry and is pursuing him before United, City or anyone else get him.

That doesn't make sense. The experience is supposed to make you better. You can't look at Stones and say he's better, but I'll pick Cahill or Smalling because they have more experience, even though they are inferior. But I guess we'll have agree to disagree.

Mourinho did pick Zouma over Cahill, but that was only a couple of times, and more importantly, when Cahill's form dropped. It didn't take long for him to revert back to Cahill so he's comfortably ahead of Zouma in terms of first XI status. It even got to the point where Zouma would play with Terry and Cahill on the pitch. And Zouma was always known, playing first team football since he was teenager and all.

Stones has a much, much higher ceiling than Cahill ever did. He's already better than Cahill in certain areas of his game i.e. his ability on the ball and pro activity. He can also play RB very adequately. He's a proper complete defender. Would be a nice signing - hopefully he and Zouma become our new partnership in the future.

Again with the potential and ceiling. That was never my point. I'm talking about right now. I'd just like a CB better than Cahill, taking over for Terry in the near future as the new defensive rock. It's rare for CBs to play at a world-class level before the age of 25/26. Terry and Carvalho were 23/24 and 26/27 in 04/05 and we were very lucky to see a world-class duo that was still young, mostly in JT's case but he's simply awesome.

That doesn't make sense. The experience is supposed to make you better. You can't look at Stones and say he's better, but I'll pick Cahill or Smalling because they have more experience, even though they are inferior. But I guess we'll have agree to disagree.

How does it not make sense though? Some managers do prefer the comfort of having players with experience in their starting XI over ones without experience, even if they are talented. Some likes to go with less risk and pick players who have the know-how to deal with dangerous situations.

Mourinho did pick Zouma over Cahill, but that was only a couple of times, and more importantly, when Cahill's form dropped. It didn't take long for him to revert back to Cahill so he's comfortably ahead of Zouma in terms of first XI status. It even got to the point where Zouma would play with Terry and Cahill on the pitch. And Zouma was always known, playing first team football since he was teenager and all.

You are right about that but Mourinho showed no hesitation in benching Cahill for Zouma when needed to. Other managers could easily just persist with Cahill and hope he regains his form. Cahill might be first choice but the situation showed his position is far from secured.

Absolute no brainer for me, even if we have to chuck in the extra £5m or so. Things like current playing time for him and Zouma won't matter in the long run when we've secured our CB partnership for the next 10 years.

why do people keep saying the phrase "CB partnership for 10 years". when has jose played with 2 21 year old CBs as his CB pairing. carvalho in his first stint, lucio in his inter time, pepe/carvalho in RM, JT now. jose always prefers an experienced CB, a CB who can manage the defence. which one of zouma-stones would be doing that? which one of them will be holding the defence together.

why do people keep saying the phrase "CB partnership for 10 years". when has jose played with 2 21 year old CBs as his CB pairing. carvalho in his first stint, lucio in his inter time, pepe/carvalho in RM, JT now. jose always prefers an experienced CB, a CB who can manage the defence. which one of zouma-stones would be doing that? which one of them will be holding the defence together.

Nobody wants Zouma and Stones to start their partnership right now. In two or three years time, I think it's safe to bet on these two as our new starting centre-backs. Not to mention Stones is a much more matured player than his age suggests.

I'm still reading that he's ball-playing centre-back yet I find his passing very unimaginative. I will have a very close look on him today and try to figure out what his passing like.

It's very encouraging though that we've been linked with CB over the last week. John Stones is far from my favourite and if they place 26-30m£ bid and still got it rejected then we should pursue others. Alessio Romagnoli is no worse and he would cost 22m£.

No one is stuipid enough to think we would line up with Zouma and Stones next season.

However, having one of them beside Terry for another season or two means they will be led, inspired and tought by one of the best CBs ever.

I keep seeing people saying "just wait a couple of years and then buy him." By then he'll cost £50-60m if he continues developing at the rate the market is inflating!

This summer is probably the cheapest any club will be able to buy him for. As he improves the more the price goes up and the more our rivals will be interested in him. Currently it doesn't seem like City are after another CB because they have Kompany coming back into fitness and they just spunked £40m on Mangala, United are obsessed with getting a big "name," and Arsenal just bought a CB in January.

We're in a pretty lucky position right now of not really having huge competition for Stones. Should act quickly this summer before United come sniffing and offer wages we won't go near.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You