Man City v Chelsea

Jase

The way we approached the game in OT and The Emirates is the same way Fergie has approached big away games in the past, try and win if you can but also be wary that a point away to a title rival (or in Uniteds case who we thought would be one) is far from a disaster.

United and Arsenal as the home teams were just as cautious and didn't commit because they were shit scared off us contering, it's beyond bizarre how that is never adknowleged.

Compare how we went at Liverpool and brought an extra striker on against City both at home to United and Arsenal when they hosted us.

Manutd stayed compact against madrid, no one says they park the bus

Arsenal stayed compact against newcastle, they said they know how to grind out results

We stay compact against arsenal, while having more chances and they say we park the bus??

Manutd stayed compact against madrid, no one says they park the bus
Arsenal stayed compact against newcastle, they said they know how to grind out results
We stay compact against arsenal, while having more chances and they say we park the bus??

I wish there was a rule we could challenge journalists on the crap they write, they would be tripping over themselves.
Off topic i remember earlier in the season you mentioned how high you rated Southampton and their high pressing game, Jose in an interview with Nevin explained to a point how he countered that, it's on youtube(the interview).

4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1? Jose has a decision to make. Later on this thread, I'll give my opinion on why 4-2-3-1 is the way we should set up in this match. We can't go for containment like we did at OT and the Emirates, if we do we will lose. City are a different animal and score goals almost at will. They WILL score at least one against us. We HAVE to take the game to them and we need Oscar to press their two CM's Fernandinho and Toure. Toure especially can be careless with possession in his own half sometimes and I'm not convinced by the defensive cover they give their back four. Oscar has to be at his best on Monday and our intensity and pressing game is key to a positive result.

We beat them through an intelligent approach, not being too gung-ho, but absolutely going for it. Their defense is suspect and it's clear they don't like it when the opposition stick it to them.

(NOTE: Assuming we play 4-2-3-1 {which is, IMO the best line-up to get a result} and City play 4-4-2 (which is Pellegrini's preferred system, with or without Aguero}

Ok, back to what I was typing a couple of days ago. I have to say, City without Aguero is a big bonus for us. It's not just about how prolific he is in front of goal, but mostly about his low-centre of gravity build, pace, dribbling skills and ability to maraude almost at will in the opponent's box. These characteristics in a striker will prove absolutely difficult for Cahill and Terry especially to handle. We all saw the threat he posed us at The Bridge, and that was in a game were he played uptop on his own for a majority of mins. Imagine him with a partner. Negredo and Dzeko are different animals. Even though they are top quality, they are not built like Aguero and are nowhere as mobile. This could potentially play into the hands of Terry and Cahill. They are also likely to not want to drop deep (again, unlike Aguero) because of their style of play. This will further emphasize the extra-man advantage we have in midfield, (in this case, Oscar, Matic and Ramires). If Terry and Cahill come with their A-game, then they can handle them. Jovetic is different to those two. More of Totti/Del Piero type player. But he's been injured for most of his time in English football, so he wouldn't start and we should be able to take care of him if he comes off the bench.

Midfield as usual is a key-area. Their CM's are fantastic, Toure and Fernandinho. They supplement the attack so well. While not a pure defensive midfielder, Fernandinho is playing a more cautious role than he did at Shakhtar Donetsk, where he was more of a Ramires-style player, bursting forward regularly. Besides, against top sides, City have appeared vulnerable between the lines -- they were outgunned by Bayern Munich with the midfield looking overrun and very flat and have generally looked most troubled when sides attack quickly behind Fernandinho and Toure. Remember Yaya being caught out against Arsenal? If Oscar can press their double-pivot and put pressure on both of them, we can gain possession higher up the pitch and cause them damage. Also, on counter-attacks, there is a space to be exploited there by Hazard, Eto'o and Oscar if Toure and Fernandinho get too enthusiastic going forward. We need Matic to be defensively solid and also to play his natural game. Driving forward when a space appears and trying to pick out clever, forward thinking passes. He is incredibly important in this game, even more so than Oscar.

On the wings, there's no doubt we have the better players. Hazard, Willian, Ivanovic, Azpi and Cole are better than Navas, Silva, Milner, Clichy/Kolarov and Zaba. We NEED to stop Silva from drifting in and trying to influence the flow of their attacks. He and Aguero were their most dangerous players at The Bridge. We need to put Ramires on his ass. Put him under pressure and force him out-wide. Navas is not to be under-estimated at all. The width he gives them is dangerous. It will be interesting to see who Jose starts, Azpi or Cole. I will personally go for Cole. He's been impressive recently and Jose needs to let players play their natural position. Willian will play with his usual intensity, pace and flair. Just needs to add a finishing product to his game. Hazard will expect to be our match-winner again. I just want a good game from him, nothing else. Jose needs to get him in 1 v 1 situations where he is running at their players. We don't want him to be double-marked or play to his back to goal. Cole/Azpi need to support him.

Upfront, Eto'o no brainer. Needs to play a good game. Control the football in tight spaces like he always does and put the ball behind the net when he gets his chance. Don't be fooled by the goals and the media hype. City are not invincible, no one is. Demichilles as a defender is nothing special. Same with Clichy and Kolarov. They are pretty average defending set-pieces as well. Cardiff scored a couple of goals there, Watford scored 2, Arsenal scored 3 and so on. And unlike those teams, we are unlikely to concede, 4,5,6, and so on.

So, summary. Balance : attack and defend. Press their double pivot, maximize set-pieces.

My line-up goes as follows:

Cech

Iva, Cahill, Terry, Cole

Ramires, Matic

Willian, Oscar, Hazard

Eto'o

OK.

but since we played 4-2-3-1 against city last time around with a pivot of rambo-lamps and with rambo being a MOTM on the day for doing a perfect number on yaya, i really doubt if what u said is correct.

CURRENT FORM bro... we need to consider that of both Ramirez and Manchester City.

PS: I am not saying we shouldn't play Ramirez, but not in a two men midfield

Ramires must play. We need his energy, and he should man mark yaya toure. Follow him everywhere like makalele did for us against gerrard in the champs lge.

Mancity have surprisingly scored so many goals from set pieces. So we need height

We are at the etihad, city will attack. If we attack against them head on, we will lose 6-3 like arsenal, they will overpower us because they are far better than us in attack(strikers). No need to be naïve, we should play a very balanced 4-3-3 and have more numbers in the midfield to counter city's possession play.

cech

Ivanovic-cahill-terry-azpi

Lampard-matic-ramires

Oscar/willian-Eto-hazard

If we go a goal behind, take off ramires for salah/willian.

If we score our chances, secure the formation and rest hazard for willian in the last 10mins.

Edit: I still won't be surprised if luiz starts in midfield. I don't think mourinho will be comfortable with 2 slow people (matic, lampard) in the centre midfield 3.