Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

• 4 weeks later...

added goals to his LB play maybe cheeky bid bring him back have him and Alonso battle it out for the wingback role.. HG and academy trained by us , another shout could be PVA also counts as a HG player from his time with us and his worth about €6m

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Don't get me wrong, I was as elated as everyone, but this signing would equal signing Hazard to me. He was so important & capable in 9/10 games he played for us. There's not 1 English player that'd make more sense to bring in.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

You're missing the joke...

LOL flew over my head too.

Now tell me - Are the Saints going to let us have both Bertrand AND van Dijk??

Theres no doubting hes a good LB and at the time like alot I was at a loss as to why we sold him.

But if he wasn't English would he still fetch £25 mill?

Chelsea want to bring Ryan Bertrand back to Stamford Bridge with Southampton's Virgil van Dijk

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/chelsea-want-to-bring-ryan-bertrand-back-to-stamford-bridge-with-southamptons-virgil-van-dijk-a3504006.html

Yes please!

There's nothing wrong about buying back former players. Let's note that Matic was crucial in the 2014-15 campaign and Luiz has been nothing short of fantastic this season. Fixing, rather than ignoring, old mistakes is a sign of sanity. And letting Bertrand go for only £10m was definitely a mistake on every level. I also believe that he would be an improvement to our starting XI even though Alonso has been successful addition to the squad this season.

Honestly, can't force even slightest excitement upon myself over this. If we go for Bakayoko - Kante midfield then we need exceptional attackers on the sides, Bertrand is not exceptional. Plus he's almost 28 in the summer, a bit old for a full-back. If there's interest indeed then it's mostly because he's home-grown. 

28 isn't old for a full back when that full back has played less games than many, many 22 year olds. Off the tip of my fingers, Clyne at 25 has played more full games than Bertrand.

Then there's the fact Valencia's 31 and the best full back in the league. The best full backs I've ever seen were around 30, from Dani Alves to Cole to Roberto Carlos to Abidal to Zanetti to Lahm to Neville. In fact the only under-30 full backs to ever wow me were Ashley, Lahm, Alves & Marcelo. Even Filipe Luis' best years have come between 29-31.

12 hours ago, Leif said:

Agreed, it's pointless to bring in a better player than we have now, especially if they're English and help with the quota. It's downright shambolic. 

Where would he fit in at this current setup? Wingback? No way, he wasn't great going forward for the standard of a fullback, as a wingback he will be painful, Furthermore if the preference for Kante-Matic and the Bakayoko rumours are anything to go by we are basing the defensive solidarity on the back 3 and CM 2, meaning the wingback's we be looked at more for what they offer going forward than backwards. I don't think Alonso is particularly great nor am i his biggest fan but he is a million times more suited to wingback than Bertrand will ever be.

LCB is the one position he could work in a similar way to Azpi has on the other side of the 3, but that brings 2 issue's. Firstly being that would finish Andreas chances here and secondly Azpi has RCB under lock and key until he declines, so could we really get away with playing just one natural CB? 

So like i said factoring the above in re signing Bertrand would be pointless and a waste of resources.