Ryan Bertrand

DavidEU

If you look back on this thread you will find those who backed Jose and those who thought Ryan good enough .

Ryan is a good player and probably good enough, but he wasn't good enough to start regularly (or as regularly as he'd have liked) and made it very clear that he wanted to go. Would've been lovely for him to stay but there wasn't a solution that worked for both parties. Even now, with our aspirations to be a top European club I don't think he'd have been quite good enough despite how much I like him.

Ryan is a good player and probably good enough, but he wasn't good enough to start regularly (or as regularly as he'd have liked) and made it very clear that he wanted to go. Would've been lovely for him to stay but there wasn't a solution that worked for both parties. Even now, with our aspirations to be a top European club I don't think he'd have been quite good enough despite how much I like him.

But Baba Rahman and Ivanovic are?

Thats a poor excuse. If a club trained fullback, who is proven in this league, isn't good enough for us then what is the academy for?

But Baba Rahman and Ivanovic are?

Thats a poor excuse. If a club trained fullback, who is proven in this league, isn't good enough for us then what is the academy for?

Rahman is I believe 4 years younger than Bertrand was when we sold him isn't he? He was viewed as being a player with potential wasn't he? Was Bertrand in the same bracket?

I get your point and I would love to have Bertrand around as a backup player getting 15-20 games a season, but he wanted more than that which is a good thing. It simply didn't align with our plans for him and we got a decent amount of money out of it.

A full England international and I think he made the PL team of the year last season .. still deemed not good enough

Ivanovic got in that team too and I've seen people in this thread say he isn't good enough so I think you've hung yourself with your own petard there. :D I'd have loved to have seen him stick around but he wanted more than he could have got here with Dave and Brana rightfully (in my opinion) ahead of him.

Bertrand would be the best LB available for us. Even better than Azpi. Bertrand can defend and attack and is from our academy.

Rahman is I believe 4 years younger than Bertrand was when we sold him isn't he? He was viewed as being a player with potential wasn't he? Was Bertrand in the same bracket?

I get your point and I would love to have Bertrand around as a backup player getting 15-20 games a season, but he wanted more than that which is a good thing. It simply didn't align with our plans for him and we got a decent amount of money out of it.

Ivanovic got in that team too and I've seen people in this thread say he isn't good enough so I think you've hung yourself with your own petard there. :D I'd have loved to have seen him stick around but he wanted more than he could have got here with Dave and Brana rightfully (in my opinion) ahead of him.

you don't hang yourself with a petard ,, If you must use clever lines at least get them right . :D :D :D See I can use smilies as well .

Bertrand would be the best LB available for us. Even better than Azpi. Bertrand can defend and attack and is from our academy.

You could probably argue that now, but would you have said the same after any of the 200 games as a professional footballer before the age of 23? Personally I don't think he's as good defensively as Azpi is on his worst day, but I can understand why some people are bitter about him leaving. I'm still not over us selling Jon Harley.

you don't hang yourself with a petard ,, If you must use clever lines at least get them right . :D :D :D See I can use smilies as well .

Drat. I should just keep things simple in future to avoid mistooks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Did we sign him again? Good shout, bossing it in Germany.

I'm hearing a lot of good things about Bosingwa as well, we should sign him from Porto.

What year is this?

Check his new yoga girl coach out, no wonder he's back in shape.

But yes, Kalou played very well so far, another mistake from the board?!

Sold our future for Eto'o, Falcao and Pato?! [emoji4]

1 hour ago, Essien19 said:

Check his new yoga girl coach out, no wonder he's back in shape.

But yes, Kalou played very well so far, another mistake from the board?!

Sold our future for Eto'o, Falcao and Pato?! emoji4.png

Too bad in gym classes I always had to put up with sweaty, bald dwarves :( Never some luck with me.
Nah, not flashy enough to be considered a mistake. Should dribble more, then we could moan about it.

• 5 months later...

Scored a Hattrick vs Christensen s gladbach tonight. His first goals since losing his dad and aunt in august. Rip and well done Sala. Still enjoying his lanky awkwardness and rollercoaster between clinical finishing and horrible misses. might even still be better than pedro and willian 

1 hour ago, Spike said:

The reason I remember Kalou a lot is because an Admin got drunk once during a match thread and called him a 'nigger' when he fluffed a goal chance. Not something I expected.

That's hilarious lol