Mohamed Salah

kobematabryant

So we are going to need a RW to cover for Salah? I have one in mind!

5 players for 3 positions is enough. at the start of the season we had KdB and Mata (a total of 6) when only 4 were being used.

Willian is the cover for Salah. Even Schurrle can play there. Even Hazard

5 players for 3 positions is enough. at the start of the season we had KdB and Mata (a total of 6) when only 4 were being used.

Salah is the cover for willian.

not disagreeing with you, but not so sure we gona remain with just those players for the attacking 3 for next season(S)!

not disagreeing with you, but not so sure we gona remain with just those players for the attacking 3 for next season(S)!

if there is a 6th AM, it could be Piazon or bertrand traore. there's no particular need to sign another player i think

I don't think he will overtake Willian as in most cases Willian is a safer bet, Salah on the right will be great at running some of the older leftbacks ragged. If Willian is being moved more centrally and we need someone who can do the right side and/or center of the midfield its gotta be Atsu... Atsu is left footed like Salah and it works with this team because Atsu said himself he loves to cut in from the right and have a shot ready for his left foot. I like Piazon but if what Mourinho is saying about moving Willian more central is true it would give nice opportunity for Atsu to come in an play a position he likes. Lucas Piazon is more comfortable with the ball wide and deep on the left and cutting in from there.

I think Mourinho is smarter than all of us (dargh, that's a stupid statement, but there's a point coming, I promise, lol). I won't cease to mention what @remains of the day wrote in Oscar's thread. Willian and Oscar are all of the same (although Willian does have way more pace) and both slow down our play most time. If Willian doesn't build some confidence and starts being more incisive like Schürrle and Salah (at least I see him as a very vertical, objective player), he'll warm the bench being a backup for either (Oscar or Salah). That's why playing with Oscar and Willian recently was a damper to our attack (although this was highly affected by Oscar's abysmal form). Instead of complimenting each other they sort of nullified each other. They occupied the same zone of the pitch, going for the same shy kind of play. I think Willian is far from being the player he can be for us (it has little to do with his peak and a lot to do with his personality and adaptation process). He'll find extra motivation next season because Salah easily take his place in the team depending on how he handles his own adaptation here.

So I'm positive Mourinho knows which kind of player compliments Oscar better. I don't know if next season Mourinho will still be convinced Oscar is his #10 (probably, but who knows?) and while he isn't his main star, he's his main key-player. Mourinho did say he set the team around him. I think there was progress in the chemistry between him and Hazard and it'll only improve... until I see otherwise in a couple of years from now, I'm convinced Mourinho is trying to replicate his RM tactics here down to a T. He wants Oscar to be his Ozil, except better, because Oscar offers some things Mesut doesn't (although there's no doubt Mesut is more creative). Hazard is definitely set to be his Ronaldo, not only in the position, but in the importance to the team, as he's our most talented player (this ISN'T a comparison between the players themselves, only their roles). Di María doesn't always get recognition for the part he's played, not many recognizes what a player he is. We didn't have a player like that, but maybe Salah can become just that. Angel also has a lot of pace (but no one compares to Mo, lol), he's objective, he can assist or he can cut in and finish, his first touch is second to none and he tracks back. He's a perfect winger for me. Hopefully we'll see Salah developing into that.

imo that's not who Willian is. He's more similar to Ozil than Oscar is himself, but he's still struggling. There may be matches where we may use both of them, but I think it's unlikely and I'm positive Mourinho has noticed that... and then we're faced with the awful truth: we got a backup for over 30m... unless he turns things around and proves to be a better option than Oscar because I don't think he'll ever offer what Mourinho wants for the RW in the long term. As I said, it all depends on how Salah develops himself here, how long it takes. Willian's own evolution isn't as important as Salah's in the role he'll play in the team because he isn't cut for what José wants from his wingers. But maybe he can surprise us all.

Alot of people are neglecting 1 fact. The way Arsenal played against us was an invitation too counter-attack. Something where players like Schürrle and Salah excell at. Mourinho said that he already knew Schürrle's qualities "both good AND bad" in the post-match interview. Schürrle is a player who can exploit the space that attacking teams give us (Bayern, Arsenal...) + he is clinical in those situations to secure we bag in a goal in those moments. I would never trust Schürrle against teams who park the bus and require him to break their defence, he is a player that is more easily dispossessed and has a hard time getting past his man without pace. Both him and Salah have a hard time breaking up teams that park the bus (see the southampton game and the first half against fulham).

Though top 4, Arsenal's defence is far from solid. They conceeded 6 and 5 goals against City and Liverpool respectively. I doubt Schürrle could do the same thing against teams with more solid fullbacks ala City/PSG. Nevertheless, he is a top choice against those sides that allow us possession and at the same time don't sit back that hard that gives us enough space for players like Schürrle and Salah too work in. Willian has other qualities wich we will need in the future, mainly the ability too hold the ball under pressure and link up play.

Alot of people are neglecting 1 fact. The way Arsenal played against us was an invitation too counter-attack. Something where players like Schürrle and Salah excell at. Mourinho said that he already knew Schürrle's qualities "both good And bad" in the post-match interview. Schürrle is a player who can exploit the space that attacking teams give us (Bayern, Arsenal...) + he is clinical in those situations to secure we bag in a goal in those moments. I would never trust Schürrle against teams who park the bus and require him to break their defence, he is a player that is more easily dispossessed and has a hard time getting past his man without pace. Both him and Salah have a hard time breaking up teams that park the bus (see the southampton game and the first half against fulham).

Though top 4, Arsenal's defence is far from solid. They conceeded 6 and 5 goals against City and Liverpool respectively. I doubt Schürrle could do the same thing against teams who have more solid fullbacks ala City/PSG. Nevertheless, he is a top choice against those sides that allow us possession and at the same time don't sit back that hard that gives us enough space for players like Schürrle and Salah too work in. Willian has other qualities wich we will need in the future, mainly the ability too hold the ball under pressure and link up play.

Alot of people are neglecting 1 fact. The way Arsenal played against us was an invitation too counter-attack. Something where players like Schürrle and Salah excell at. Mourinho said that he already knew Schürrle's qualities in the post-match interview "good AND bad". Schürrle is a player who can exploit the space that attacking teams give us (Bayern, Arsenal...) + he is clinical in those situations to secure we bag in a goal in those moments. I would never trust Schürrle against teams who park the bus and require him to break their defence, he is a player that is more easily dispossessed and has a hard time getting past his man without pace. Both him and Salah have a hard time breaking up teams that park the bus (see the southampton game and the first half against fulham).

Though top 4, Arsenal's defence is far from solid. They conceeded 6 and 5 goals against City and Liverpool respectively. I doubt he could do the same thing against City/PSG. Nevertheless, he is a top choice against those sides that allow us possession and at the same time don't sit back that hard that gives us enough space for players like Schürrle and Salah too work in. Willian has other qualities wich we will need in the future, mainly the ability too hold the ball under pressure and link up play.

I agree partially.

There are some matches that aren't suited for them, but I don't think they're as limited as you may sound (or as I interpreted your words).

They're still a work in progress. We don't know the players they'll turn to be, especially under Mourinho, I'm sure he'll develop him better than if they were if someone else and will mold them to be the players he needs to.

Let's see where it goes, but you have a point about them not being suitable for some sort of matches. Then again, if a defense parks a bus, neither is Willian (although given his style he should)

I agree partially.

There are some matches that aren't suited for them, but I don't think they're as limited as you may sound (or as I interpreted your words).

They're still a work in progress. We don't know the players they'll turn to be, especially under Mourinho, I'm sure he'll develop him better than if they were if someone else and will mold them to be the players he needs to.

Let's see where it goes, but you have a point about them not being suitable for some sort of matches. Then again, if a defense parks a bus, neither is Willian (although given his style he should)

Shakez mentioned a valid point but also, against sides that defend deep against us, you need movement, someone to make those penetrative runs in behind oppositions' defence and Schurrle does that better than Willian. He complements our ball hoggers Hazard, Oscar IMO. And besides, these teams won't be just defending all the time. There will be times they get out of their shell to attack us and need players like Schurrle to exploit the space behind them.

I agree partially.

Idd. Im glad our squad is looking more solid, was a bit worried that our am department was a bit thin in quality after the departure of mata and kdb. Just need more consistency from all the players. Willian will be back when we need him, just like schurrle whp went missing mid season.

Shakez mentioned a valid point but also, against sides that defend deep against us, you need movement, someone to make those penetrative runs in behind oppositions' defence and Schurrle does that better than Willian. He complements our ball hoggers Hazard, Oscar IMO. And besides, these teams won't be just defending all the time. There will be times they get out of their shell to attack us and need players like Schurrle to exploit the space behind them.

I tend to agree with him instead of you. If the teams sit deep waiting for us, Schurrle isn't on his best. He needs his runs, and how will he run if the defense is sitting there with four guys waiting for him? I think he's our best player finding the right spot, but normally when we're counter-attacking or attacking quickly. If we pass the ball from one side to the other trying to CREATE space, Schurrle adds nothing or very little to that. He's great FINDING space, not creating it. Against deep defenses you have to create it. If someone creates it for him, maybe he has a chance, but we don't have a master in creating space other than Hazard and even then, I see Schurrle taking little advantage of what Hazard creates because normally they're in opposite sides of the field, in the wings. And there are teams who defend all the time against us. Some don't even try to win the matches, it's pathetic and frustrating. I remember at least a couple of matches like that in the league this season and given some of the teams we'll face home in the remaining matches, I can see another couple of games like that. I don't look forward to them at all.

I tend to agree with him instead of you. If the teams sit deep waiting for us, Schurrle isn't on his best. He needs his runs, and how will he run if the defense is sitting there with four guys waiting for him? I think he's our best player finding the right spot, but normally when we're counter-attacking or attacking quickly. If we pass the ball from one side to the other trying to CREATE space, Schurrle adds nothing or very little to that. He's great FINDING space, not creating it. Against deep defenses you have to create it. If someone creates it for him, maybe he has a chance, but we don't have a master in creating space other than Hazard and even then, I see Schurrle taking little advantage of what Hazard creates because normally they're in opposite sides of the field, in the wings. And there are teams who defend all the time against us. Some don't even try to win the matches, it's pathetic and frustrating. I remember at least a couple of matches like that in the league this season and given some of the teams we'll face home in the remaining matches, I can see another couple of games like that. I don't look forward to them at all.

But you need movement, someone to make run threatening runs in and around oppositions' defence to have a threat at goal and Schurrle provides that option with his directness as well as better than the rest. With the trio of H-O-W, there is a tendency to be doing everything in front of the opposition and not enough behind them. At times, the ST is our only attacking/passing outlet upfront while there is not enough support breaking forward.