Chelsea 1-2 Basel

Jase

Man of the Match  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

Should have gone hard after Cavani and Falcao. Instead we loan out possibly our best striker. Then we spend 32 fucking million on fucking Willian. Fuck the directors at the club. So much bullshit year in year out that it has become tiring. The squad still isn't competitive despite our rivals all being so poor.

Torres has been such a plague on us. Still don't have a striker. Don't know when we will ever recover from that terrible signing.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is similar to what I felt from the game overall, as it seems just too easy to point to individual mistakes or players (or even to José at times). I think the key thing you've said was 'focal point' and for me, for the past 2 years at least, that has been Mata.

Now as much as I love Oscar, I have always said that he just is not as good as Mata going forward. Say whatever about his defensive abilities and work-rate, but as an attacking midfielder I feel Mata is better at this moment. And for the past few years, no matter how imbalanced our team was, he has always made us look as cohesive as we possible could be. We have always praised him for his vision and passing; whereas Oscar, we've praised him more for his individual ability i.e. scoring magnificent goals. Oscar won't really dictate the tempo of a game, however Mata can. And since we have virtually no DM/CM who can dictate the game, the onus has really been on the little man for the past 2 years.

The first half in particular, the front 3 just seemed to be meandering around the centre with no real purpose. I felt (a fully fit) Mata would've brought some order to the attacking 3 as his constant off the ball movement forces the others to move as well. Players in the team are also used to the playing with the little man 90% of the time. It's all very well saying this in hindsight. I could be completely wrong though.

I'm just saying this for this particular game however. The whole Mata Vs. Oscar is a whole other debate. And I am in no way belittling Oscar's contribution to the team as a whole. For example, he was our best player tonight (though I voted for Brana purely because of the effort he put in) but I just think (a fully fit) Mata would've brought some attacking order to the team as a whole. Perhaps that's what José was trying to accomplish with the sub. Also, I probably would've started Oscar in the Everton game instead since it was ripe for counter-attacks.

Maybe what I'm just trying to say is that it just seemed to be too much too soon; to try to take the heartbeat out of our attacks (Mata) for the past two years along with introducing a bunch of new players is a bit much at this early stage. Maybe José just wants to get his own stamp on the team A.S.A.P. in an attempt to get as far away as he can from 'Benitez's team'.

Spot on. :clap:

It's why I want Mata to start against Fulham. Like you said, we need order in our attack, and Mata truly brings that. Jose just needs to put his faith and belief into that.

Mata was a leader last season but he's sort of been diminished into a squad player. Not one of Mourinho's best motivational tricks in my opinion. Mata is still our most dangerous forward especially with Hazard not performing.

Speaking of Hazard: he seems to play a lot better when Juan does.

I agree with you that we need some Juan magic. We need Mata in top form very soon.

We don't have a lot of width in the attacking 3, but that should not be such a big problem if you have fullbacks who are good going forward. But then Jose uses Ivanovic and Cole who are well, limited. Our attacks will be better if we have fullbacks constantly overlapping, and not just that, able to provide quality.

Instead we go through the middle all the time, and when we try to play wide only Ivanovic is an option, and all he does is low crosses to the opposition.

Something also has to be done about the speed at which we play. Because there's never any kind of urgency, and only Luiz tries to change it. I think Oscar can do a good job playing deeper allowing our best player to play behind the striker, like only he can.

We don't have a lot of width in the attacking 3, but that should not be such a big problem if you have fullbacks who are good going forward. But then Jose uses Ivanovic and Cole who are well, limited. Our attacks will be better if we have fullbacks constantly overlapping, and not just that, able to provide quality.

Instead we go through the middle all the time, and when we try to play wide only Ivanovic is an option, and all he does is low crosses to the opposition.

Something also has to be done about the speed at which we play. Because there's never any kind of urgency, and only Luiz tries to change it. I think Oscar can do a good job playing deeper allowing our best player to play behind the striker, like only he can.

Fully agree. This I would love to see. I think Oscar playing deeper is a massive risk but it's one I'd be willing to take. Him playing next to Mikel or a withdrawn Ramires could possibly work as he'd be an ideal link player and can of course also get forward and join the attack.

Eto'o

Hazard - Mata - Willian

Oscar - Ramires

Something I'd really like to see.

Fully agree. This I would love to see. I think Oscar playing deeper is a massive risk but it's one I'd be willing to take. Him playing next to Mikel or a withdrawn Ramires could possibly work as he'd be an ideal link player and can of course also get forward and join the attack.

Eto'o

Hazard - Mata - Willian

Oscar - Ramires

Something I'd really like to see.

If im honest i think if any of our attacking players get turned into a pivot player it will probably be KDB.

Im on the opinion we should switch formation, a view that's growing bigger with every passing game, Jose got us the title in 2005 by changing from the diamond, he needs to think of something again, because 4-2-3-1 will only work with this team if Oscar or KDB turn into Modric.

If im honest i think if any of our attacking players get turned into a pivot player it will probably be KDB.

Im on the opinion we should switch formation, a view that's growing bigger with every passing game, Jose got us the title in 2005 by changing from the diamond, he needs to think of something again, because 4-2-3-1 will only work with this team if Oscar or KDB turn into Modric.

It's very difficult to change formation with this squad though because the players we have bought are better fitted to that 4-2-3-1 formation.

I think it's the link up play and movements between the attacking 4 that really needs to improve.

It's very difficult to change formation with this squad though because the players we have bought are better fitted to that 4-2-3-1 formation.

I think it's the link up play and movements between the attacking 4 that really needs to improve.

True, funnily enough i wonder if the diamond is worth a go but instead of two forwards one behind the forward.

-------------------x------------------

x-----------x----------x------------x

------------------Mikel-----------------

----------Rami-------Oscar-------------

------------------KDB------------------

---Willian/Mata------------------------

-----------------------Eto'o------------

Rami can be the engine, Oscar and KDB can press the opponent and still offer creativity and then when Mata plays he will have a free attacking reign without having to worry (as much) about defending. We don't play with that much width anyway so it could work out quite well.

Im probably way off the mark, that's why i ain't the manager :P

Spot on. :clap:

It's why I want Mata to start against Fulham. Like you said, we need order in our attack, and Mata truly brings that. Jose just needs to put his faith and belief into that.

Mata was a leader last season but he's sort of been diminished into a squad player. Not one of Mourinho's best motivational tricks in my opinion. Mata is still our most dangerous forward especially with Hazard not performing.

Speaking of Hazard: he seems to play a lot better when Juan does.

I agree with you that we need some Juan magic. We need Mata in top form very soon.

Agreed mate.

I was thinking that about Hazard & Mata as well. I don't know about you, but one of the main highlights of last season was the link-up play between the two in particular. It was uncanny at times. I think the best example that sticks out in my mind is the goal Hazard scored against West Ham:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UQgxOR91CU

Two high quality players on the same wavelength truly is a beauty to watch and it's plain to see there weren't many on the same wavelength tonight. Tonight it was all very 'individual'.

I was also thinking about Hazard and what Mourinho has said of him in the past. I believe he said in an interview something along the lines of that he is a lot harder on the 'better' players because he expects more from them; a kind of a 'tough love' approach. Mourinho might want to take some of his own advice and act more like nurturing "dad" if he's to get the best out of some of his eggs! However, perhaps only time will tell if it's simply a dip in form or something else...

The problem is Ashley Cole and Branslav Ivanovic they do not give us width and they have been defending shit of late. Azp is our best rightback but fucking Mourinho is too arrogant to notice that also Asley Cole has been shit give Betrand a chance as for Mata I feel bad for him Mourinho has totally destroyed the confidence he had, to be honest Mourinho is not the best type of coach for the players we have now, its a fact we saw for years that chelsea with ivanovic at RB has no width and Azp proved that to us last year when he came

main worries

1 ,,A Cole ,,,he is an automatic starter and his form is very poor ... Ryan is the only alternative and Im not convinced by him.

2 E hazard ,,,what happened close season ,,,,he looks so unfit , he is a potential match winner but on current form ..NO

3 F Lampard ...not a great start either but at least there are options here

4 J Mata .... a shadow of the player we saw last year/

I could go on ...but these are my main player worries

As a team we need to turn things round and FUCKING QUICKLY

they can not let things continue in this vein ..

this is going to be a real test for Jose and the press are getting ready to crucify him and its nearly 8 months till Easter

I know why Hazard is playing like shit, its simple he has no fucking understanding with Oscar and the other guys the same way he has with Mata, Mata and Hazard in the team improves our goals and creativity because they understand each other more. Fucking Mourinho seems not to realize that, and I hope Azp starts playing soon otherwise we are screwed

I know why Hazard is playing like shit, its simple he has no fucking understanding with Oscar and the other guys the same way he has with Mata, Mata and Hazard in the team improves our goals and creativity because they understand each other more. Fucking Mourinho seems not to realize that, and I hope Azp starts playing soon otherwise we are screwed

then Hazard is shit because great players must be able to play good with anyone

Messi is more effective with Xavi, Inesta and Cesc but less so when playing for Argentina that does not make him a great player??

yes but he's more effective with Argentina than Hazard 's performances without Mata. Messi plays good with Argentina but Hazard is SHIT without Juan