Man of the Match  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where was the fourth 22y old??? Lying sob

He has been lying since the beginning of pre-season. He has not fulfill the numerous promises he made to the players and the fans. He promised to play Lampard sparingly, promised Lukaku and KDB first team action. He cannot be trusted on whatever he says.

Fully agree. This I would love to see. I think Oscar playing deeper is a massive risk but it's one I'd be willing to take. Him playing next to Mikel or a withdrawn Ramires could possibly work as he'd be an ideal link player and can of course also get forward and join the attack.

Eto'o

Hazard - Mata - Willian

Oscar - Ramires

Something I'd really like to see.

Solution: stop playing Lampard in the central mid. He creates nothing for the attackers

This "performance" was pathetic. We were at home against a far inferior side and were outplayed in nearly every facet of the game. The main issue that stuck out to me was that we look so disjointed, especially in attack. As we've seen before in this young season, we are very narrow and our creators are seeming stacked on top of each other. There were far too many points against Basel where our players literally could not get out of each others way or looked as if they had no idea what to do in possession. Don't get me started on the defense either. Once Basel decided to apply themselves in an attacking sense, they moved the ball about with ease, with Saleh in particular giving Ash an absolutely torrid time.

I certainly hope that this is the nadir of our season. Unfortunately, my deepest, darkest suspicions that we are no where near title contenders, but rather destined to battle it out for a CL place, are being confirmed. Bottom line: We need to get our heads and our arses wired together or be prepared for heaping helpings of shit sandwiches until the end of May.

Missed the first half but I heard it wasn't inspiring (one shot on target?).

The major problem for me is that we don't have an identity yet, and it doesn't seem like we're working towards one either. It seems that the attacking players are confused about what we might be doing (except for Oscar who has pretty much been our best player this season) which is really sad. I think the vision is for our attacking players to be dynamic, fluidly interchanging positions to confuse the opposition but it really isn't working. We don't seem to have a focal point anywhere in the team based on that last game.

I think that Azpilicueta must play, simply because one thing that we seem to be missing is a threat from our full backs. Ashley Cole isn't a threat going forward, nor is Ivanovic (from open play).

I'll watch the game again in a few days or so to verify what I'm thinking, but right now it isn't looking good. Mourinho must get more out of these players.

A probably with that is probably because Mourinho has been reacting, perhaps a tad too much, to the opponents that we've been facing and in the process, constantly changing the midfield and striker. Against Hull, started like a house on fire and absolutely pummeled them with our quick attacking movement and passing. Against Villa, probably because of the threat from counter attacks, we took a more conservative and controlled approach and only narrowly won. At Old Trafford, because it's Man United away from home, we setup to play on the counter and the same thing goes against Bayern. Against Everton, there was like a bit of both and with Basel, we looked to dominate the game but were absolutely clueless and hopeless in breaking them down.

After the game yesterday, I was feeling rather dejected, restless and disappointed about the result and performance. But now, am feeling pissed off about it as well. It's a mess. It's simply a freaking mess everywhere! We have quite a number of players being overplayed and some being underplayed, for whatever reason, and then constant changes to the midfield and striker. As Henrique mentioned in the Mourinho thread, one game we suddenly see Ramires-Lampard in the pivot, the next Mikel-Ramires, Mikel-Lampard and then suddenly Lampard-MvG. Further forward, we have had five different attacking trio combo been used in the 6 games played so far and then the striker, we've gone from Torres to Ba to Schurrle to Torres and finally Eto'o. There's just no consistency in the lineup!

It feels as though Mourinho has picked those teams based on the oppositions that we have faced. He's reacting to them which then result in different approaches being taken from one game to another. With the exception of the first half against Hull, we haven't had any sort of consistency or fluidity in our play. It has looked disjointed and with players looking clueless with what they are supposed to do. It's probably time that Mourinho settles on a consistent starting XI and then making subtle changes here and there to the lineup rather constantly chopping and changing things around. It's not helping the team's performance and it's not helping the players' performances at all!

Moreover, it's an absolute joke that we keep on spending to buy so many attacking midfielders, even though they are talented and quality, in the team but turning a blind eye on the more fundamental flaws in the team like our midfield and striker. Can understand the purchase Schurrle to begin with earlier in the summer. Was bought to bolster the squad depth and by that time, we already had 6 AMs in Mata, Oscar, Hazard, De Bruyne, Schurrle and Moses which was good enough. But instead, we decided to waste another 30m for another AM that we don't need and not spending it on areas that really needed to be fixed like the midfield or striker! The more I look and think about it, don't think the club had any intention of getting Willian this summer. The club may have been keeping an eye on him but probably Spurs were close to signing him, we decided to just suddenly go out and sign him. It's almost like a similar situation with Oscar last season though his addition was welcomed then due to our lack of quality in the team.

Going back to the point, it's absolutely pointless to have all these bright attacking midfielders if the midfield duo or pivot behind them is being dysfunctional and then having an average striker upfront. There's just nobody in that midfield that can help keep possession, dictate the tempo and orchestrate our attack from deep areas without having to rely so much on our attacking trio and then not having a striker that can put away those chances created. Instead, we have to over-rely on those trio to drop deep and help the midfield out and even score the goals!

And also, for all these attacking players we have, it's really hilarious that we are still struggling to break down teams that sit deep after all these years. Basel did that tonight and we looked absolutely clueless and hopeless in breaking them down and ended up having to pass sideways and backwards partly because of their pressing and also the lack of movement from our players to pull them apart, get them out of shape etc. This problem has been apparent since the 2010/11 season and yet every manager that comes in after that can never seem to get it right and they seem to make it even worse everytime! There are just so many issues that need to be ironed out right now. It's absolutely frustrating!

I was a little disapointed with the ine up but ok JM knows best.

In the first half we were not good enough and I expected JM to get the team focused in the halftime.

But that didn´t happen.

The first time we showed some fire was after 1:2. too late...

A deserved loss. Very dissapointing because it puts a lot of pressure on our team.

Absolute Fukin joke.

Hazard, Luiz, Cole, Lampard deserve to get dropped

Lampard was our second best player last night and has actually been one of our better players all season. He had 4 key passes last night and was instrumental in almost all of our dangerous play. He seems to be working very well with Oscar in the middle so far, interchanging positions and building a rapport (which can happen when you actually play a string of games in the same position Jose!). Yes, he needs to be rested more and becomes much less effective when he plays too much (like Cole), but Mourinho likes him for a reason. Not only is he still one of our biggest threats going forward, he also does a lot of simple things right. For example, last night Chelsea were dispossessed 11 times and had 19 turnovers. Lampard had 0 of them. (Which brings me to how overrated dribbling can be. There are times when it's incredible, but a lot of the time, a simple pass is better because trying to dribble a lot leads to a lot of turnovers.)

What´s there to say about the loss ?

Last night´s loss is the result of shitty summer transfer policies. The club spent approximately 60m on unneeded players.

Meanwhile, Jose talks about fucking eggs instead of getting the team ready for respective competition.

The way I saw it, last night. The new players are not ready, unprepared, uncoordinated, the whole team is dis-harmonized. Meanwhile, Hazard plays on the wing, to no avail. Mata hardly plays & if Jose puts him on, nevertheless he is not ready.

The question, what´s next ? More excuses for Jose or Roman gives him 5 more games & sends him packing ?

Lampard was our second best player last night and has actually been one of our better players all season. He had 4 key passes last night and was instrumental in almost all of our dangerous play. He seems to be working very well with Oscar in the middle so far, interchanging positions and building a rapport (which can happen when you actually play a string of games in the same position Jose!). Yes, he needs to be rested more and becomes much less effective when he plays too much (like Cole), but Mourinho likes him for a reason. Not only is he still one of our biggest threats going forward, he also does a lot of simple things right. For example, last night Chelsea were dispossessed 11 times and had 19 turnovers. Lampard had 0 of them. (Which brings me to how overrated dribbling can be. There are times when it's incredible, but a lot of the time, a simple pass is better because trying to dribble a lot leads to a lot of turnovers.)

Oscar, De Bruyne and Schurrle have shown promising signs...Ramires has been up and down, Cech has done alright...but all in all, most of our players have performed well below the expected standard.

I haven't seen anything great from Lampard this season (apart from that free-kick against Hull)...he can only be classified as one of our better players this season because the rest of the team is performing extremely poorly.

I wasn't at the game but the atmosphere sounded (and felt) so bad. The fans really didn't make The Bridge a fortress tonight.

Nothing new in the group stages...lots of tourists who need the words to songs printed out for them and a cattle prod up their arse.