Chelsea 1-2 Basel

Jase

Man of the Match  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Man of the Match?

Mata is poor? He wasn't playing any match yet,maybe he had playing 30 in total this season

Well, so tell me all the key-passes, assists and goals he scored for us in the matches he played this season. Do that and I won't say he's been poor. I didn't say he is a poor player - that's nonsense, I said he's been poor in the matches he played and his numbers show that. He either produced nothing worth mentioning or he was his usual defensively - which means bad. People need to understand that there's nothing wrong saying a player is playing bad - even if he's Messi or Ronaldo - if they happen to play bad! Mata did nothing for us this season! I'm not saying we should sell him or that he won't ever be good for us. But when others are playing better and we are clearly struggling to win matches, play Mata for the sake of him needing minutes is starting to cost us matches! If you tell me it's more important to make him regain his form than win matches, I may agree with you, it's one way to view it as we are a team in transition winning isn't as important as defining a style, a philosophy. We need to create an identity as a team and if we need Mata to regain form for that, so be it. But denying he's been poor in the matches he played this season is a bit delusional imo.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the stats. Passing the ball to the side is something even Mikel can do. So other than that and one good play for Eto'o last Sunday (that wasn't that exceptional, as Eto'o was marked) tell me what Mata did this season that contradicts my statement. I really want to read it from you or the people who liked your post.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bring back rafa?

We don't stand a chance against steaua, according to their fans we should respect them because they are the best team in eastern Europe or something. Awful atmosphere tonight, nobody really gave a fuck, which was perfectly reflected by the players, with the exception of willian and oscar. The only good thing was the fight outside the shed turnstiles, made for a good pre game laugh

Missed the first half but I heard it wasn't inspiring (one shot on target?).

The major problem for me is that we don't have an identity yet, and it doesn't seem like we're working towards one either. It seems that the attacking players are confused about what we might be doing (except for Oscar who has pretty much been our best player this season) which is really sad. I think the vision is for our attacking players to be dynamic, fluidly interchanging positions to confuse the opposition but it really isn't working. We don't seem to have a focal point anywhere in the team based on that last game.

I think that Azpilicueta must play, simply because one thing that we seem to be missing is a threat from our full backs. Ashley Cole isn't a threat going forward, nor is Ivanovic (from open play).

I'll watch the game again in a few days or so to verify what I'm thinking, but right now it isn't looking good. Mourinho must get more out of these players.

Excellent post. It was a terrible team performance. Oscar and Cahill aside, nobody played well. When Jose first joined we had a spine of 4 players that would start every game: Cech, Terry, Lampard, Drogba. We don't have that with this squad.

Jose needs to limit the number of changes in between game and build a team. It is unfair to pin the blame on any one player tonight. It's a group of players that have never played together before and it showed.

we had a long pre season and are now 5 games in ...ThingsSHOULD be starting to gell ...Like many I others I am starting to worry ... I think this is our 6th transition season..

I haven't many more years to see the transformation ...Still I never thought I would see us win the PL never mind the CL

Bring back rafa?

We don't stand a chance against steaua, according to their fans we should respect them because they are the best team in eastern Europe or something. Awful atmosphere tonight, nobody really gave a fuck, which was perfectly reflected by the players, with the exception of willian and oscar. The only good thing was the fight outside the shed turnstiles, made for a good pre game laugh

Wow a fight, hope someone recorded it to show the players what battling is.

The major problem for me is that we don't have an identity yet, and it doesn't seem like we're working towards one either. It seems that the attacking players are confused about what we might be doing (except for Oscar who has pretty much been our best player this season) which is really sad. I think the vision is for our attacking players to be dynamic, fluidly interchanging positions to confuse the opposition but it really isn't working. We don't seem to have a focal point anywhere in the team based on that last game.

I think that Azpilicueta must play, simply because one thing that we seem to be missing is a threat from our full backs. Ashley Cole isn't a threat going forward, nor is Ivanovic (from open play).

I'll watch the game again in a few days or so to verify what I'm thinking, but right now it isn't looking good. Mourinho must get more out of these players.

This.

Taking a more rigid approach and actually keep some width during the game could do wonders. It feels as if they interchange for the sake of it at times.

I strongly agree about us not having an identity. we're all over the place, we have no focal point, we have no system, the players look lost.

Also I agree about our full-backs, its something I've been saying for a long time now.. Look at Alaba and Lahm at Bayern, or Jordi Alba and Alves at Barca, Carvajal and Marcelo at Real Madrid etc etc.

There is a middle-ground between good and end-of-world, though.

You can draw whatever conclusions you want after reading my post. Nowhere did I say it was the end of the world it was just a piss poor performance in almost every area on the pitch. The only bright side is we get to play again on Saturday... Other than that nothing I saw today was inspiring

Hazard's performance is terrible. I even don't know whether it is a problem of form or of attitude. That lad has the talent rarely found among one generation but still he needs to be cooled down on the bench and the pressure from competition for position.

Oscar is good because he never stops working so hard. He is somehow like Frank.

I am totally ok with Mou's unsuccessful trial, which can be zort of price we have to pay. But I do not quite understand the lack of ambition showed by the team. Perhaps Mou has been too gentle to the talented players like Hazard and Luiz. Their starting positions shouldn't be granted unless they show they want to win more than any others do.

I wonder what is the problem here ...

- We have good players, great players.

- We have one of the best managers around.

What the hell ?

time to develop an identity and gain chemistry. Manchester City has been a testament to that for years now. 9 out of 10 times a team needs time when there's a new manager and too many new players (or in our case start from scratch in terms of philosophy and tactic). The problem is patience is a virtue rarely found in the world of football fans, although many of us bitch a bit just after the match and then we cool down. There's also those who never cool down though and demand immediate changes. Immediate changes all the time pays off as well as it has had for City in the last 5 seasons... one EPL title that was United to lose and they lost it pathetically.