Morgan Schneiderlin

Spike

I posited months ago, on another online Chelsea forum that Schneiderlin (along with players like Diame, James McCarthy, and possibly Wanyama, Capoue (Capoue has not impressed me on the national team and elsewhere however) give Chelsea some viable, cheaper midfield solutions to ongoing problems.

Schneiderlin and Diame have been perfect candidates, Diame being a more established player in the Premier League (who, again, in case some of you didn't know, went to West Ham on a FREE TRANSFER in summer 2012 at a time when Chelsea badly needed to improve their center midfield).

Of course, my suggestions were derided by more than a few, going back to summer 2012 and forward to the beginning of this calendar year when I began talking-up Schneiderlin (or sometime last Fall or Winter).

A little more on Southampton:

I don't think that ANY Premier League side has a stronger core in their two centre backs and two center midfielders (Lovren, Fonte, Wanyama, Schneiderlin). ManCity SHOULD, but haven't quite gotten it done yet. And I also have to say that these 4 players are solid in playing old-fashioned football while the centre backs are adequately comfortable playing with the ball at their feet. I like that Pochettino has kept this core intact most minutes of this season while experimenting with the other players in the formation (of course Shaw and Clyne are in if healthy). Southampton's only shortcoming this season has been setting up quality chances and finishing while it's been a bit of a luxury having the defensive core healthy. It still seems like Southampton need at least one top wide attacking player, but their core is good along with how Pochettino is managing the team. When that core is injured or compromised, they will need more scoring or more of an edge with their attacking wide players IMO.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack Cork is mentioned therein and I feel it's a reminder (Cork being a regular with Southampton) that something has not been right at Chelsea Football Club regarding who gets a chance in center midfield, on the 1st team. Sorry, but I'm willing to say that some players (Mikel and Lampard) should have been given less time on the pitch long before just the current season or last season.

• 9 months later...

I'm sorry to bump this but with Van Ginkel possibly going out on loan, the central midfield at Chelsea all of a sudden looks extremely thin. With rumors of Southampton being after a midfielder, I think Schneiderlin would be a perfect signing for Chelsea, especially with him also counting as homegrown.

I'm sorry to bump this but with Van Ginkel possibly going out on loan, the central midfield at Chelsea all of a sudden looks extremely thin. With rumors of Southampton being after a midfielder, I think Schneiderlin would be a perfect signing for Chelsea, especially with him also counting as homegrown.

Would be fantastic signing IMO, but waaay to expensive. Soton wants like 30m+ for him...

He is complete CM though, most tackles and interceptions in PL for past two years, great passing and vision, extremely hardworking with sublime technique (remember that vs yaya) and scores ocasional goals.

If we needed a starting CM, I would gladly pay whatever saints demand for him, but since he would sit here, at least in begining, 30m would be bit too much.

Homegrown is also big big plus for him, realy underrated player.

• 6 months later...

If we want a starter to play in midfield alongside Cesc & Matic, Morgan isn't the guy. He does what Matic does and we don't need another Matic on the field. Broken record, but we need a player like Pogba. Less Makelele, more Viera.

Literally all of our rivals can do with him and he'll almost certainly end up at one of them. My guess is Arsenal. He's going to be a great addition to someone.

He walked over our midfield yesterday. Definitely one of the best midfielders in the league. If I had to guess I think he will end up at Arsenal, terrific signing for them if it happens. Him or Kondogbia could have been good signings for chelsea before we went after Matic and Fabregas.

Why not buy him?

Because he is too expensive for bench (plus wont want to sit on bench either). On the other hand, too similar to Matic to play next to him. Not enough mobility, creativity and link up from midfield if both would play at same time.

However, if Mourinho intends to play this way (close down, bus parking after scoring leading goal), we may as well play with 4 defensive midfielders. Maybe then, we will be able to keep the lead.

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the rumours are true and indeed Chelsea is interested in bringing him here, but only if Jose misses on his main targets. I think the plan is to flog Oscar for something like 35-40m and then reinvest the money into someone like Pogba or Koke. If Chelsea can't struck a deal for one of these two then Jose will probably reconsider his options, sign Schneiderlin for 20-25m, pair him with Matic, move Cesc further up the pitch and then move on to his next targets such as a new centre back and maybe a right winger.

• 0 members are here!

• No registered users viewing this page.

talk chelse forums

We get it, advertisements are annoying!
Talk Chelsea relies on revenue to pay for hosting and upgrades. While we try to keep adverts as unobtrusive as possible, we need to run ad's to make sure we can stay online because over the years costs have become very high.

Could you please allow adverts on this website and help us by switching your ad blocker off.

KTBFFH
Thank You