• Torres
    • Oscar(sub)
    • Azpilicueta(sub)
    • Marin(sub)

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't deserve to be chanting "Champions of Europe". What a disgrace.

But we are Champions of Europe. Some people's reactions on here are a little on the hysterical side.

The team that won the Champions League has been dismantled and we're building something new. Anyone who thought that would be painless was kidding themselves, but you have to stick by the team whilst we're doing that. Shitting on the achievements of our club is a low thing to do.

He's good enough to be one of the 3 best players on a team. The problem is the sub-standard players in key positions on the pitch. The striker isn't good enough and the players in the midfield two weren't good enough today. That means that Mata has less space in which to operate and less options when he has the ball.

Our attackers actually had a lot of space today. Moses especially was wide open a few times as was Torres. Getting your striker behind the defence three times in a game is excellent. We had 14 shots today. Our lack of scoring made it seem like our offense was worse than it was, but we had a lot of very very good chances including 4 shots from in close any of which could/should have been a goal (Cahill off the line, Torres saved on the pass from Lampard, Moses great save, Torres trying to jump over ball, misses. Accidentally knocks it off his toe towards keeper). Not to mention, there were a number of places where we had the ball in good space on the wings and couldn't cross at all. We have had problems with disjointed attack, but today was not really one of them. It was just ineffective.

Also, agree with you on the overreaction to the loss. We are Champions of Europe, we won what is easily the best and most difficult club tournament in the world and losing one match in Japan doesn't change that.

Maybe, but I'm not convinced. I see that whenever any team plays a physical style, Mata has trouble. You can mark him out of games. It's not just a matter of people not seeing his movement, his own movement becomes terrible. His passing goes off. His decision making becomes suspect. When Chelsea went defensive under RDM, he became almost useless (3 goals in 19 games). He was our worst player in the latter stages of the Champions League. Don't get me wrong, he's our best player and still a terrific offensive player, one of the best in the Premier League, I just don't think he's a good enough player to be the best player on an elite team. Anyway, I didn't mean for my post to be a diatribe against Mata. I'm very happy he's with us and if we had a couple more players like him, we'd be a lot better off. My main point is that the reason we don't win is because our best players aren't good enough (and after Mata, we don't have anyone even near that level). You look at a team like United. Massive holes in the midfield and at the back but Rooney and Van Persie are elite talents who can't really be contained so they do are doing well (and they have a few other very good players).

And we saw how much Van Persie on his own could do for a team simply not good enough to compete for the major titles last season, which was my point.

OMG, HOW CAN THIS GET ANY WORSE?

Palmeiras relegated, Chelsea losing everything and Corinthians World Chapions...

I AM ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATED! :cry:

At least I got Sao Paulo winning Sudamericana :ph34r:

I thought Mata was rubbish. Goes missing in tough games.

He disappeared a lot during games last season. Cultured guy & stuff... But he's not a playmaker nor a winger. Can't keep the ball under pressure, gets away with it and tries to release it after several yards, before being closed down.

Today he had no space in a packed midfield, that was massively predictable. Like every big game from last season, left aside his goals/assists

Chelsea Football Club is delighted to announce the 5 year extension of Fernando Torres........

I want to get in a coma and only wake up many years from now.

If I had money, I would buy Torres just to see him in obscurity and out of CFC!

He disappeared a lot during games last season. Cultured guy & stuff... But he's not a playmaker nor a winger. Can't keep the ball under pressure, gets away with it and tries to release it after several yards, before being closed down.

Today he had no space in a packed midfield, that was massively predictable. Like every big game from last season, left aside his goals/assists

Long-term I think we might be better off without Mata.