UCL Draw Thread

Madmax

we will get past Basel anyway. We will rather lose to Benfica in the final, cos a defeat in a final does suit our season better than a semifinal exit, which wuold at least spare us a silver medal.

Are you being sarcastic there or something?

Losing a semi final and losing in the final is basically no different because at the end of the day, you don't win the trophy and competition!

We will underrate Basel, we are unconsistent over two legs (allways) and Basel are actualy type of team we have big problems with. They are underdogs, but extremely determinated to win. They will fight and press high, something we have big problems to play against such teams who leave us little space. I wouldnt compare us to Spurs cuz it will be completely different match.

I honestly dont expect too much, Basel will sure work their asses of. We will be typical Chelsea; little work, underrating opponent, rotating squad and that will lead to another home win/draw and away defeat. Goal difference will probably decide the tie...

yeah this tie reminds me of the Swansea fiasco in the League Cup. I just hope history doesn't repeat itself <_<

Are you being sarcastic there or something?

Losing a semi final and losing in the final is basically no different because at the end of the day, you don't win the trophy and competition!

No, losing a semifinal spares you a game, hence is better. Schedule will not be strained even more. 2nd places are the worst thing ever. Better not even get to a final than lose one.

No, losing a semifinal spares you a game, hence is better. Schedule will not be strained even more. 2nd places are the worst thing ever. Better not even get to a final than lose one.

Well, since you're talking about extra game and not trophy/medal now, then yeah..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/europa-league-basel-boss-murat-1829510

Chelsea have scared the wits out of their Europa League opponents FC Basel, writes Steve Goodman.

The Blues were paired with Switzerland’s top club in Friday’s semi-final draw. And Basel coach Murat Yakin gasped: “I’d better rush to the toilet!

“We have drawn the best of the remaining teams,” Turkey-born Yakin added. “But there’s no point in us worrying. I’ve never been to Stamford Bridge and I’m looking forward to it. Anything is possible with this team.”

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/football-frei-bows-goal-pulled-muscle-basel-stay-202313185.html

Alexander Frei has retired from professional football and that means he won't be playing against us in the semi final.

The fuck? Why would he retire now when Basel are close to being crowned champions of Switzerland and for the first time in who knows how long really have a chance of winning big in Europe too? :lol:

Good news for us though, so I'm not complaining.

Last chance to win some silver-ware. I know it's not as important as the league but I should hope the younger players will be hungry for some sort of title, would be a shame to go home empty handed at the end of it all.

This is laughable at best. Now that we have lost in the FA cup this is our only chance at silverware, and still some of you don't want to win it. What the hell are some of you guys smoking? All four of the clubs left in the competition are top class, and Basel has been shitting on the EPL the past few years, so it would be nice to knock a team out (that beat Man U and Spurs) and make the finals.

These players are professional athletes, they should be up for every match, and try to win every possible trophy.

Not entirely sure how much this Rob Beasley guys is reliable (although he seems very close to the club), but according to him, the players asked if they would get bonuses for winning the EL and the answer was "get lost" because this was not an objective at the start of the season.

Wonder how that would affect the players' attitude and performances, if it s true..

The fuck? Why would he retire now when Basel are close to being crowned champions of Switzerland and for the first time in who knows how long really have a chance of winning big in Europe too? :lol:

Good news for us though, so I'm not complaining.

He sustained an injury apparently. But great great player. Probably the best in Switzerland's history. Absolutely loved him.