Chelsea v Man City

Jase

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any ideas on what formation rafa will throw at us?

He said he wont change it for this game. He has confirmed it will remain RDM`s 4-2-3-1.

He obviously did not say if he will change any player`s position though.

Oscar? He could probably play there with time, for the sake of the team. Or we see Lamps making a comeback, with clear instructions. Which would mean we go back to the team everyone complained about haha.

I don't think Oscar has the discipline to play in the pivot under Rafa he is way too attacking imo. Rafa Liverpool side, Mascherano and Alonso were very disciplined in keeping their shape deep in midfield to protect the back four and allow the fullbacks to go forward. For me i don't think Oscar has the qualities to play in the pivot yet, especially in one which requires a lot of tactical discipline. I maybe wrong though.

Lampard is interesting choice, i think with his intelligence and experience is a capable option.

Btw this is a good article http://www.independe...eo-3302130.html

I find the assessment from the Journalist very interesting, which i think is accurate much more then general media which paints that "RDM was fired due to Torres benching, Rafa hired to get the best out of Torres." I do think RDM was fired due to not creating a unique attacking system, which i think is going to be Rafa biggest challenge along with results.

So i do wonder if we can play good attacking football with Ramires as a forward? i personally don't.

Any ideas on what formation rafa will throw at us?

He said he wont change it for this game. He has confirmed it will remain RDM`s 4-2-3-1.

He obviously did not say if he will change any player`s position though.

Yeah and he's a 4-2-3-1 manager anyway.

Yeah and he's a 4-2-3-1 manager anyway.

i believe it'll be tweaked a bit. i wonder whether torres will get on the shoulders of the defenders and run onto throughballs or go back to his recent role of dropping into the space between the opposition defence-mid and have a run at the defenders. i think he'll score more goals by making runs behind the defence but he will be frustrated for long times without the ball and that will pull him back to linking up with the mids

i believe it'll be tweaked a bit. i wonder whether torres will get on the shoulders of the defenders and run onto throughballs or go back to his recent role of dropping into the space between the opposition defence-mid and have a run at the defenders. i think he'll score more goals by making runs behind the defence but he will be frustrated for long times without the ball and that will pull him back to linking up with the mids

Don't worry. Rafa 'The Genius' Benitez will solve this issue...

Don't worry. Rafa 'The Genius' Benitez will solve this issue...

:D but seriously it's a bit daft that people expect Torres to fire just because Benitez arrived. I mean, it coulndn't be more obvious that he's turned Shyte

West Brom could go above us today if they beat Sunderland and Everton and Arsenal could just be 1 and 2 points respectively behind us by the end of today. Scary situation that these teams are so close to us! We desperately need a win here. By hook or by crook, just get the win!

Physioroom.com can't put a return date on Lampard...anyone got any updates?

It also says Kompany will undergo a late fitness test,we may just have a chance if we can eep our end tight,especially considering the way CIty conceded against Real Madrid in the CL,,,,

Btw this is a good article http://www.independe...eo-3302130.html

I find the assessment from the Journalist very interesting, which i think is accurate much more then general media which paints that "RDM was fired due to Torres benching, Rafa hired to get the best out of Torres." I do think RDM was fired due to not creating a unique attacking system, which i think is going to be Rafa biggest challenge along with results.

So i do wonder if we can play good attacking football with Ramires as a forward? i personally don't.

Interesting piece but just as confusing to me. If they wanted RDM to create a coherent attacking style, why didn't they get him the pieces to do that? It's just not possible without creative midfielders. I agree that Chelsea seemed to rely on individual brilliance more than any well-thought out game-plan, but I don't really see what attacking plan was possible. The only thing I think he could have done is make Hazard or Mata stick to the wing and then replace Oscar with Moses (or switch Oscar and Ramires) to create better shape. But then again, you run into a different problem. Chelsea spent something like 80M on those 3 players and one can only assume that they didn't just buy them to switch their positions and de-emphasize them. So, the board was setting RDM up for failure. RDM had to play Oscar, Mata, and Hazard and they all had to move in and out of the #10 spot. (Apparently, they promised Hazard he would be able to play the #10 and promised Oscar he'd be starting within a month). This inevitably caused the side to be one-dimensional offensively, lack any width, and be poor defensively.

The clubs mentioned are telling. Juventus is a club that buys players that fit into the system they want to play. (and at value too...Pirlo-free, Vidal-10.5M E, Chiellini-10M E, etc...) They look and see "we need a left-sided midfielder . Let's go and find one that fits into our system and who is good value" So, they go and get Asomoah. Same with Dortmund. They lose Kagawa so they think "who can we get to replace him that will fit in and be good value" so they go out and get Reus for 17M Euros. That's how most clubs do things and it works.They don't go out and buy a bunch of players who play the same position. They don't buy tons of players and try to shove them together. They build a team and replace one or two key players a year as needed. Chelsea don't. Chelsea think "hey, this player plays really nice attacking football, let's pay whatever it takes to get him and we'll make it work.". How can the board not see this?

Look at our outfield roster depth for where they would ideally be playing:

RB: Ivanovic, Azpi, Ferreira

CB: Terry, Luiz, Cahill (Iva)

LB: Cole, Bertrand

DM: Mikel, Romeu

CM:Ramires

CAM: Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Lampard, Piazon

LW: Marin

RW: Moses, Sturridge

CF: Torres

That's just silly. How can anyone possibly construct a coherent and consistent attack with that imbalance? To me, this just shows how clueless the board are and how absurd they blame their own shortcomings on managers. In most sports in North America, the set-up is General Manager (who makes the personnel decisions) and then the coach/manager who manages the on field/ice/court product. Usually, the General Manager gets to fire one manager, maybe two before they get the blame themselves and get fired. It makes sense. If something is not succeeding after a few years, it's time to look in the mirror and stop blaming manager after manager.

I'm guessing Torres plays more central and off defenders' shoulders because he can't drop deep and dribble past anyone. I'd like to see Marin, Mata and Hazard with Oscar and Romeu behind them and Azpi, Iva, Cahill and Cole in the back. Sideshow Bob can write love letters to Tito Villanueva from the bench. I'm not concerned about Foy, he will be under watchful eyes for any dodgy calls in light of Twatenburg being cleared.

Interesting piece but just as confusing to me. If they wanted RDM to create a coherent attacking style, why didn't they get him the pieces to do that? It's just not possible without creative midfielders. I agree that Chelsea seemed to rely on individual brilliance more than any well-thought out game-plan, but I don't really see what attacking plan was possible. The only thing I think he could have done is make Hazard or Mata stick to the wing and then replace Oscar with Moses (or switch Oscar and Ramires) to create better shape. But then again, you run into a different problem. Chelsea spent something like 80M on those 3 players and one can only assume that they didn't just buy them to switch their positions and de-emphasize them. So, the board was setting RDM up for failure. RDM had to play Oscar, Mata, and Hazard and they all had to move in and out of the #10 spot. (Apparently, they promised Hazard he would be able to play the #10 and promised Oscar he'd be starting within a month). This inevitably caused the side to be one-dimensional offensively, lack any width, and be poor defensively.

The clubs mentioned are telling. Juventus is a club that buys players that fit into the system they want to play. (and at value too...Pirlo-free, Vidal-10.5M E, Chiellini-10M E, etc...) They look and see "we need a left-sided midfielder . Let's go and find one that fits into our system and who is good value" So, they go and get Asomoah. Same with Dortmund. They lose Kagawa so they think "who can we get to replace him that will fit in and be good value" so they go out and get Reus for 17M Euros. That's how most clubs do things and it works.They don't go out and buy a bunch of players who play the same position. They don't buy tons of players and try to shove them together. They build a team and replace one or two key players a year as needed. Chelsea don't. Chelsea think "hey, this player plays really nice attacking football, let's pay whatever it takes to get him and we'll make it work.". How can the board not see this?

Look at our outfield roster depth for where they would ideally be playing:

RB: Ivanovic, Azpi, Ferreira

CB: Terry, Luiz, Cahill (Iva)

LB: Cole, Bertrand

DM: Mikel, Romeu

CM:Ramires

CAM: Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Lampard, Piazon

LW: Marin

RW: Moses, Sturridge

CF: Torres

That's just silly. How can anyone possibly construct a coherent and consistent attack with that imbalance? To me, this just shows how clueless the board are and how absurd they blame their own shortcomings on managers. In most sports in North America, the set-up is General Manager (who makes the personnel decisions) and then the coach/manager who manages the on field/ice/court product. Usually, the General Manager gets to fire one manager, maybe two before they get the blame themselves and get fired. It makes sense. If something is not succeeding after a few years, it's time to look in the mirror and stop blaming manager after manager.

With the Mata-Hazard-Oscar triumvirate, I think there is a workable way around it. I personally always thought Oscar would drop back into the double-pivot role alongside Mikel, with Hazard on the left-wing and Mata ahead of them. We went to that a few times when we were chasing games but rarely before that.

As for the construction of the squad, I think they deserve a lot of credit for what they are doing in the academy and the reserves. If you look at some of the young talent we have going forward, I think it's mightily unfair to call them 'clueless'.

But I think you sort of have a point when you say Robbie was set up to fail. I actually think it was more of a case of him not being set up to succeed, simply because this squad wasn't designed for him - it's been designed with Guardiola in mind. Oscar is his Iniesta and Hazard is his Messi. This season was always going to be a transition season. I think that's why we've let players like Essien and De Bruyne go on loan - it makes sense if you're using this season to build and not to win.

But going back to my earlier point about the board, I think it's unfair to call them clueless when you look at the big picture of what they're trying to build. They've acknowledged the mistakes of trying to build a squad with ageing players and are looking to build a homegrown, young talented squad with a unified footballing philosophy. They deserve praise for that.

Few stats

Chelsea has not gone three games at Stamford

Bridge without a Premier League win since

December 2008, but has lost just two of its last

15 home games.

The Blues have both scored and conceded in their

last seven Premier League games.

Chelsea is behind only Arsenal with victories

against Manchester City, the Blues' 20 trailing the

Gunners' 21.

Benitez has only lost one of his previous 12

Premier League encounters with Manchester City

and is unbeaten in his last 10.

Fernando Torres scored 56 goals in 79 Premier

League appearances under Benitez at Liverpool.

Chelsea are without a win in their last four

Premier League matches, having won seven of

their first eight.

The Champions League winners have conceded

nine goals in their last five Premier League games.

Chelsea have not kept a clean sheet in

seven Premier League games.

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez has scored six goals in his last six Premier League

games against Chelsea.

There have been five penalties awarded in the last

six league meetings between the two sides.

Manchester city went 14 games unbeaten from the start of

last season – a run which ended with a 2-1 defeat

at Stamford Bridge.