Oscar

themightyblue

i dont like how a thread can easily turn into debate thread within hour of opening, can we please live up to the updates and not discuss.. who he is better then etc etc..

anyways..

The denial coming from the qoutes in the brazilian papers, is it good news or bad news?

So Spurs were planning on selling Modric so that they could finance the move for Oscar? Well,if so then I guess we fucked Spurs yet again!!!

dont you just love it, fuck you levy! :dance:

Looks pretty much done but we've said that before. I don't know him from Adam but he sounds like a truly awesome talent judging by what i've read and the article above. It's exciting, now need to see where they will all fit in. This probably means we wont be getting Hulk or Moses too.

On Oscar And His Potential Position

Since the Oscar link exploded yesterday evening, there has been all sorts of talk about the player and how he'd fit in terms of need with Chelsea FC. He's not Luka Modric, and he hasn't played the same role as Luka Modric. Many fans seem to feel this is reason enough to say he doesn't fill a need. Luka Modric, however, doesn't play the same double pivot with Tottenham Hotspur that he would (in theory) at Chelsea. So why is it we're so willing to move Luka to a somewhat new position without even a second of hesitation and not even consider it with Oscar?

Today I think we need to do an exercise that works out well with any youngster. As kids develop physically, sometimes their ideal position on the pitch will be different than what they have been playing previously. Axel Witsel seems a perfect example. As a youth player, he was always one of the most gifted attackers in the Standard Liege system. When he reached the senior level, a move deeper seemed appropriate in order to maximize his talents. John Terry came through the youth ranks as a midfielder, as did David Luiz. Mikel was an attacking midfielder when we signed him. We still don't seem to know what Ramires best position is, but we all seem fairly confident slotting him in almost anywhere. With those players in mind, we're going to look today at what Oscar does well as opposed to where he has played to date.

First of all, I'm going to direct you back to the profile we linked on the front page yesterday. It's just excellent. I've seen a fair amount of Oscar at both the international and club levels, and frankly I have a hard time disagreeing with anything written there. I'm going to briefly sum up what I see as Oscar's best attributes in bullet point form:

• Great passing range
  • Two footed ability
  • Calm in possession
  • Excellent acceleration and agility
  • Great balance
  • Good in tight spaces
  • Decent size
  • Excellent work rate
  • Sees the action as it develops exceptionally well for a player so young

Now we'll look at some of the weaknesses in his game

• Lack of top end speed
  • Not the strongest at this point of his development
  • Not a great leaper

Just looking at those attributes, I'd immediately rule out center forward and the center of the defense just due to his physical limitations. His lack of top end speed should also rule him out of playing out wide, as wings and fullbacks often have far more runs into open space. It would seem that Oscar would be an ideal candidate to play in the central midfield then.

As he's played more, he's begun to develop some patterns with the way he plays. Let's take a look at those:

• Likes to pass the ball while running
  • Prefers the higher percentage pass to the 'homerun" type of pass.
  • Like to come back to receive the ball, turn, and move it forward.
  • Likes to immediately move into space after passing
  • Isn't hesitant to play any type of pass

So what do these tendencies tell us exactly? When I look at them I see a central midfielder that can fill basically any role in the center of the park. He doesn't seem to be the Juan Mata type of player that's going to go for killer ball after killer ball, and his less than eye popping assist totals would seem to back that up. What he does seem to do well is find the player that's in a perfect position to deliver that final ball, a potentially mouth watering ability with players like Mata and Hazard working ahead of him. Should the defense leave a lane for a long ball or through ball, Oscar is more than capable of exploiting it. Even from a more advanced position, he'd be an asset in transitioning from defense to attack. He'd certainly seem quite capable of lining up in a deeper role though.

One other thing I've noticed with Oscar is his tendency to play deeper now as opposed to a year ago. In the U20 World Cup last summer, Oscar acted almost like a second striker for much of the tournament. In the recent string of friendlies, Oscar still played as a advanced midfielder, but was often found dropping deep to receive the ball and help transition the squad to attack. He still wore the #10, but he didn't really play as a traditional #10 at all. Watching the transition and the ensuing performances, it's not hard to envision Oscar moving even deeper into the exact same role Luka Modric makes his own at Tottenham.

The fact that I feel Oscar could play deeper doesn't mean that's what the club envision at all. It's not fair to the player, however, to pigeonhole him as strictly a #10 due to the fact that he's played there for most of his very short career. Look at what he does well and what he likes to do, and odds are you'll see a talent that could fill in any number of roles in any number of formations. Considering his peak is still likely 5-6 years away, where he's been playing for club and country to date is largely irrelevant. Think outside the box. Look at what he brings to the table. Forget about what formation we want to play to start next season, as we change primary formations more often than we change managers. The formations we play are best chosen by the talent available to put on the pitch at the time. Oscar would be a purchase for the next 10 years (hopefully), we're not looking at him as a temporary fix in our double pivot. Then again, he might well be that fix anyway.

Source: WAGNH

Oscar represents a new emphasis on youth from Chelsea and is tipped to be their Mesut Ozil

There is a quiet, albeit typically expensive, revolution taking place at Stamford Bridge. With the Champions League mission accomplished, Chelsea’s long-mooted root and branch reboot can begin.

The old guard are being replaced by precocious young talent. Pinning your future on potential brilliance is a risky strategy, but in the case of Brazilian Oscar dos Santos Emboaba Junior there is little reason for concern. Already a picture of composure as a 20 year-old, he has the attributes to become a shrewd signing for Chelsea, even at the expected fee of £22 million.

A central playmaker, Oscar walked out of Sao Paulo in 2010 to join Porto Alegre’s Internacional due to non-payment of wages. A court ruling ordered him to return in March of this year, but Internacional settled the matter with a compensation payment of around £5 million.

Oscar scored a hat-trick in the final of the 2011 Under-20 World Cup which won Brazil the title, and has thrived in an Internacional side controlled by his dependable passing and easy mastery of space.

“He’s quick, dynamic, very athletic,” says Rupert Fryer, founder of southamericanfootball.co.uk. “He’s very much a contemporary player. Versatile, quick in transition, he can play between the lines and burst beyond the back line at speed. He’s also got much better in front of goal recently.”

While Oscar has the legally-required silky Brazilian skills in his locker, he is rarely flash. The midfielder’s balance is one of his biggest assets, and his unerringly straight-backed running style allows him to play with his head up and drift away from markers with ease.

“He’s not the greatest tackler in the world, he’s not terrific in the air and will probably need to bulk up, although he’s by no means weak,” says Fryer. “He’ll just get a lot less protection in England than in Brazil, where if someone blows on you get a free kick.

“He’s been compared to Kaka as he’s quick, but I think Oscar has a better eye for a pass. Kaka’s main gift was speed, Oscar prefers to operate in the spaces between the lines. I’d say he’s more like Mesut Özil, though perhaps not technically as gifted.”

Rather than enjoying a streaky goalscoring run or relying entirely on youthful pace, Oscar is blessed with permanently fashionable footballing gifts. If he can adapt to the Premier League he could become the linchpin of the most exciting Chelsea side in a decade.

Source: Telegraph

First of all, the problem is that we spent 125M and it isn't a world-class forward line.

Still, here goes...

Chelsea-Torres, Hazard, Oscar, Mata-120-125M

Bayern- Robben, Ribery, Gomez, Mueller-80-85M

City- Silva, Nasri, Milner, Aguero-110M

ManU- Rooney, Nani, Kagawa, Valencia-90M

Juventus-Vidal, Pirlo, Marchisio, Pepe, Vucinic, Matri-40-45M (I made it the front 6)

Real Madrid-Ronaldo, Ozil, Di Maria, Benzema-130-135M

Got to disagree with you. Our forward line is world class, Torres is Spain's starting CF (when they play one), hazard is Belgiums star player, Mata would walk into any PL team. Only risk would be Oscar, but given his age we could always cut our losses and recoup some of the money if it doesn't work out.

Not sure of the average age of the starting line ups but I'm fairly sure ours is the youngest out of those listed. That has to be a massive plus.

Got to disagree with you. Our forward line is world class, Torres is Spain's starting CF (when they play one), hazard is Belgiums star player, Mata would walk into any PL team. Only risk would be Oscar, but given his age we could always cut our losses and recoup some of the money if it doesn't work out.

Not sure of the average age of the starting line ups but I'm fairly sure ours is the youngest out of those listed. That has to be a massive plus.

Torres is only the starter because David Villa's done his leg. He's never had a great record with Spain when compared with his club record.

Torres is only the starter because David Villa's done his leg. He's never had a great record with Spain when compared with his club record.

His club record isn't that great either. He has scored 20+ Goals only on one occasion and 20+ All Competition Goals four times.

So the word from his club now is that they'll wait until after the Olympics to make a decision. In other words, see if he plays out of his mind so you can milk us for more.