Oscar

themightyblue

i really hope mou puts him in the double pivot..he has everyhting. work-rate, vision, stamina..hell he has the most tackles in the game as a CAM/RW. i could really see him into developing as a deep-lying playmaker. he just needs to work on long-range passes.

I wish I could understand better some expressions you guys use in English.

I'm pretty worded in Portuguese and I feel like sometimes I disagree with people because the words in English are too different from portuguese or simply because of smaller differences we don't say here.

I was talking privately to one of the guys the other day and I told him Xabi Alonso and Ramires are DM's and he said they aren't.

In Brazil we call 'volante' the defensive midfield that protects the fullbacks and have mainly defensive responsibilities. We have first volante - the most defensive - and second volante - someone less defensive, but defensive nonetheless.

Xabi is one of the best in the 2nd volante position imo - because in Brazil that's what we call him. He has amazing stats - pretty perfect if you ask me - in interception, tackling and making the transition between defensive and offensive sides of the pitch.

Is that what you guys call pivot? A guy who tackles a lot, tries to recover the ball at all times and has a good pass to start a counter-attack?

Also, the deep-play you guys mean is the long passes from defense to attack?

(sorry for being an English dummy and bothering you with this stuff, but I'm here to learn too ;))

If that's the case, I don't see Oscar being this guy. He's way too talented to be a Xabi Alonso only and I don't think he has the defensive skills - not even close - and I don't see him developing defensively to the point of being a world class in the position (as far as I understand the position)

I think he's great as a CAM or a RW and with the tactical discipline Mourinho is going to teach him, he'll be amazing tackling the ball in the attacking field. I don't want him to go too behind, I want him to play at all times in the attack field, only going to the defensive field when there's heavy attack from the opponent. He's too light (physically) to be a good 'volante' imo although Ramires proves me wrong in that department just fine.

Oscar needs to be put in the middle and given freedom to play. His passing and control of the game is already showing spurts of world class.

With Mata already arguably the best AM in the world, Hazard and Oscar with a year in the EPL under their belt and ready to explode onto the scene and become world class and KDB one of the best players in the Bundesliga and a future world class player, our team looks insanely and terrifyingly talented.

Hazard Mata De Bruyne

Oscar DM

I'm pretty worded in Portuguese and I feel like sometimes I disagree with people because the words in English are too different from portuguese or simply because of smaller differences we don't say here.

I was talking privately to one of the guys the other day and I told him Xabi Alonso and Ramires are DM's and he said they aren't.

In Brazil we call 'volante' the defensive midfield that protects the fullbacks and have mainly defensive responsibilities. We have first volante - the most defensive - and second volante - someone less defensive, but defensive nonetheless.

Xabi is one of the best in the 2nd volante position imo - because in Brazil that's what we call him. He has amazing stats - pretty perfect if you ask me - in interception, tackling and making the transition between defensive and offensive sides of the pitch.

Is that what you guys call pivot? A guy who tackles a lot, tries to recover the ball at all times and has a good pass to start a counter-attack?

(sorry for being an English dummy and bothering you with this stuff, but I'm here to learn too ;))

If that's the case, I don't see Oscar being this guy. He's way too talented to be a Xabi Alonso only and I don't think he has the defensive skills - not even close - and I don't see him developing defensively to the point of being a world class in the position (as far as I understand the position)

I think he's great as a CAM or a RW and with the tactical discipline Mourinho is going to teach him, he'll be amazing tackling the ball in the attacking field. I don't want him to go too behind, I want him to play at all times in the attack field, only going to the defensive field when there's heavy attack from the opponent. He's too light (physically) to be a good 'volante' imo although Ramires proves me wrong in that department just fine.

Quite a post, where to start? :D

First, I think you have a good grasp of the whole volante/DM terminology. Ramires can play DM/volante, but his skills do not translate particularly well to that role. He is best suited as a box to box midfielder, i.e. the second most advanced midfielder in a 4-3-3. Xabi can play DM/volante, but is probably better in the role that you described. And, yes, Xabi is an excellent pivot player from his days at Liverpool until now at Real. The pivot is the "2" in a 4-2-3-1. Ideally, one of these players is a DM/volante and the other is a deep lying playmaker (players like Modric or Pirlo). The deep lying playmaker focuses on keeping/recycling possession, but more importantly linking defense with attack through their passing.

I think you're analysis of Oscar and his strengths and weaknesses is excellent. I hope that I've helped answer some of your questions about terminology, not that you needed much help. You already seem to have a fantastic grasp of the lingo. You're definitely NOT an "english dummy." I guarantee you that your English is much, much better than my Portuguese. :D

Quite a post, where to start? :D

First, I think you have a good grasp of the whole volante/DM terminology. Ramires can play DM/volante, but his skills do not translate particularly well to that role. He is best suited as a box to box midfielder, i.e. the second most advanced midfielder in a 4-3-3. Xabi can play DM/volante, but is probably better in the role that you described. And, yes, Xabi is an excellent pivot player from his days at Liverpool until now at Real. The pivot is the "2" in a 4-2-3-1. Ideally, one of these players is a DM/volante and the other is a deep lying playmaker (players like Modric or Pirlo). The deep lying playmaker focuses on keeping/recycling possession, but more importantly linking defense with attack through their passing.

I think you're analysis of Oscar and his strengths and weaknesses is excellent. I hope that I've helped answer some of your questions about terminology, not that you needed much help. You already seem to have a fantastic grasp of the lingo. You're definitely NOT an "english dummy." I guarantee you that your English is much, much better than my Portuguese. :D

first of all, thanks a lot. You guys have tons of patience with me here. I'm spoiled ;)

Also, are you a teacher as well? Because I must say as one myself, your didactic is flawless. I understood you so perfectly! I love that you brought the formations. It's easier to understand like that and I worship the ground Pirlo walks on, so using him as an example is pretty great as well.

I feel accomplished with this post. Where do I save it? Liking it is definitely not enough.

now do you speak Portuguese at all, or you were just trying to be nice to me?

I know my English isn't that bad, but I'm so clueless about the lingo in some areas that it hurts.

Oscar is so good at putting pressure on players, his presence in the AM will nulify all the 3 vs 2 midfield problems we had last season. And he has the pace, stamina and vision for counter attacks.

I just feel so bad that he can't play often in the centre for us because mata is already there.

Thiago Silva says hi.

Really? If, in your opinion, Brazil's best player is a centre-half it speaks volumes of their World Cup chances.

Brazil have a good team, without any truly outstanding individuals. Of course the likes of Thiago, Oscar and Neymar are good players, but, in my opinion, they are not at the "outstanding" level we'd associate with Juan Mata, Gareth Bale, Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger, Messi, etc. I think that will be both Brazil's biggest benefit in 2014, as well as their biggest downfall - they don't necessarily have the players to rescue them when playing against the world's best teams, but they function very well as a unit, specifically in attack. I think they might surprise a few people but they are a long way from looking like world champions.

But as for Oscar, I absolutely adore him. His stamina is incredible, his tenacity is much overlooked and his creative vision is just jizz-worthy. Probably my favourite signing of the Abramovich era. He could be our midfield lynch-pin for the next 8/10/12 years.

What I like most about Oscar is that he works so hard off the ball. Even now, when he has every excuse to take his foot off the gas after a long hard season, he was pressing the Japanese players like his life depended on it. Then you add his quality on the ball and you have a potentially GREAT player if he continues to develop his game.

This terminology mostly came from FIFA and FM and I must admit it gets annoying sometimes with all the new terms. You won't find unanimous agreement on the definition of these terms, but allow me to explain what I think they mean:

A DM is the type of guy who sits in front of the back four and provides cover and eases the ball from defense to attack. Alonso is DM, and a great one at that (Although he is not a ball-winning DM and can easily be played next to another DM, but let's not get into more needless terminology!). Ramires on the other hand does not have the discipline or defensive ability or even passing technique to be a DM. He is a box-to-box midfielder, meaning he has the pace and stamina to keep making runs from his own box to the oppositions. Some would even call him an "Engine" (I know, more stupid terminology! :P) which is basically someone who covers all pitch with his running like Vidal, or what De Rossi was a couple of years ago.

Now the pivot, or originally the "Double Pivot" is not a type of player like DM or B2B, but rather a position in a formation. It is a term invented solely for the 4-2-3-1 formation which was made famous by Jose's treble winning Inter. The term refers to the two players in front of the defense. The meaning of pivot is axis or what the team revolves around and double obviously because there are two of them. Originally, it was meant that those two would have interchangeable roles in the team. When one joins the attack the other has to drop deep and cover. In practice, not a lot of teams managed to implement that, us included, and you ended up with one player always staying deep and the other always going forward making it much more static than intended (and making the job of the guy who stays deep much harder).

You can choose to play whatever type of central midfielder that you want in the pivot to different effects. You can play two DMs and solidify your defense but that would give you less men in the attack and invite pressure on your back four. You can play two box-to-box players like we did when we played Rami and Lamps (to terrible results, unfortunately) but that would leave you exposed at the back since both pivot players will leave their position...etc. Ideally, what I think we are attempting to do here at Chelsea is find a pairing of DM, along side a DLP.

A DLP, or Deep-Lying Playmaker (sometimes called Regista), is the type of central midfielder who likes to drop deep to receive the ball where he will have the time and space to pick up some long passes and have more control over the tempo of the game. This term was created to describe players like Pirlo and Xavi. But for DPL to work well in a double-pivot, I think that he should also be able to defend well when needed (for example, I don't think Pirlo would work well in a 4-2-3-1) which is why a lot of fans want the club to sign someone like Van Ginkel and Modric.

That is also why I don't think Oscar should be moved to the pivot. Your analysis of this was absolutely spot on, imo. What Oscar does best for the team is his link-up play, passes and creativity in the final third. Moving him deeper would be robbing him of all that. I also don't think he has the physical or defensive ability to play in the pivot. He is decent enough when he's defending against other teams fullbacks, but can you imagine him getting stuck in with Yaya Toure for example in midfield?!

The only reason people want Oscar to play in the pivot is because attacking players like him are rated highly and get all the hype, so they want to fit all of our attacking players like Oscar and Mata and Hazard and Schurrle..etc in one formation. Sometimes I think if one of our fans was our manager we'd have a goalkeeper and 10 strikers on the pitch! (kind of what Brasil have :P) :lol: Unfortunately, very few people appreciate the players that do the basic things right like covering and simple passing that despite not looking too 'fancy' are crucial to the team nonetheless.

I apologize that this came out too long, and I hope it helps. There is absolutely nothing wrong with your English or understanding of football, you just have a different perspective than the one we are used to. I hope you could teach us more stuff about the Brazilian perspective of the game like the "volante" :)

Quick question, why has he lost the number 10 shirt in the Confederations Cup to Neymar?

$$$$$$

he doesn't have a stupid hair and won't jump around the ball like a kangaroo. he also has a private life with his wife and a child (?). doesn't bring much attention, so he's not valuable for the guys from marketing.

besides, he wears 11 at Chelsea

$$$$$$ he doesn't have a stupid hair and won't jump around the ball like a kangaroo. he also has a private life with his wife and a child (?). doesn't bring much attention, so he's not valuable for the guys from marketing. besides, he wears 11 at Chelsea

I'm pretty sure Oscar doesn't have a child!

Really? If, in your opinion, Brazil's best player is a centre-half it speaks volumes of their World Cup chances.

Brazil have a good team, without any truly outstanding individuals. Of course the likes of Thiago, Oscar and Neymar are good players, but, in my opinion, they are not at the "outstanding" level we'd associate with Juan Mata, Gareth Bale, Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger, Messi, etc. I think that will be both Brazil's biggest benefit in 2014, as well as their biggest downfall - they don't necessarily have the players to rescue them when playing against the world's best teams, but they function very well as a unit, specifically in attack. I think they might surprise a few people but they are a long way from looking like world champions.

But as for Oscar, I absolutely adore him. His stamina is incredible, his tenacity is much overlooked and his creative vision is just jizz-worthy. Probably my favourite signing of the Abramovich era. He could be our midfield lynch-pin for the next 8/10/12 years.

Wow that big on Oscar?

I still can't believe what a fucking team we have with Oscar, Hazard, Mata and now incoming KDB.

KDB has to prove a bit in the EPL, but if his time from the bundesliga and NT is to go by, I'm already salivating!

Let's also hope another younger player can jump into this quality pool, like maybe Ake or Piazon.