Schurrle - Mata - Oscar - Hazard

Cavani

Cech

Azpi - Luiz - Terry - Cole

Ramires - DM

Oscar

Mata -----------------Hazard

Cavani

Are other formations I think could work really well.

Anyway, I think Oscar should definatley be played centrally.

I like these .

Although the DM would have to be something special to handle the job.

Am I alone thinking Oscar should be played as our #10, with Mata on the right?

Well sure, it could work, but right wing isn't the best position for Mata.

I mean Juan is a very smart player with brilliant technique and intelligence meaning he can always pull of some amazing stuff, but he doesn't have enough agility and speed as Hazard for example to cause havoc on the wing, and not only that, but I am actually disappointed a bit with his speed and agility considering his age and size.

With Mata's desire to move around the pitch and influence play, he would leave that RW empty from time to time also.

Oscar's best position is the #10 though, I do agree on that, but Mata is simply a better player at the moment, so the choice isn't that difficult when it comes to that position in our team.

But I'm surprised that lots of people look at our offensive midfielders so tactically strictly because Oscar, Mata and Eden enjoy rotating and changing positions between each other. Just cuz Oscar started on the RW doesn't mean his role for the game is to stay there for the whole game and send crosses in. He drops centrally a lot, combines passes with other players and tries to confuse the opposition which had worked rather nicely on some occasions during his time here.

It is a shame though that we have 3 brilliant players in Mata, Oscar and Hazard and all of them prefer playing as #10 :D

I think based on what I read about him Schurrle would do a much better job as the "1" than Mata...

Mata is perfect in CAM imo. Really effective and good.

I think eventually Oscar will learn to play RW out of necessity it seems, although his best position is also CAM.

It's better to have him there and Andy who's joining the team now - and seems much more useful as LW (again according reports)

But I'm surprised that lots of people look at our offensive midfielders so tactically strictly because Oscar, Mata and Eden enjoy rotating and changing positions between each other. Just cuz Oscar started on the RW doesn't mean his role for the game is to stay there for the whole game and send crosses in. He drops centrally a lot, combines passes with other players and tries to confuse the opposition which had worked rather nicely on some occasions during his time here.

It is a shame though that we have 3 brilliant players in Mata, Oscar and Hazard and all of them prefer playing as #10 :D

I, for one, don't think Eden is the best playing #10, I like him better in the LW.

The memories of his first games in EPL last season are so vivid in my mind. I was completely fascinated. I remember tons of plays and while that might be common for you guys, my memory sucks big time, so the fact I still remember some assists, some goals from the first five rounds, it's remarkable for my standards.

I think he plays amazingly in that side of the pitch and I'm sure he will be our best player next season. He's an exuberant player.

Oscar has much more tactical freedom playing for Brazil. He plays wherever he feels up to. We see him in the middle in the wings, we see tackling a lot, fighting for the ball. I'm such a big fan of the kid.

So I agree with you, we've been looking at formation in a very strict way. They will probably change positions a lot during the match - although that's not something Mourinho does a lot with his teams (compared to other managers I mean). Especially when it involves boys. He works their strengths first and then spread the options. So I see him at first being very focused on Oscar's, Eden's, KDB's, Andy's strengths and later helping them develop more skills and rotating them more in the pitch, but yeah, with such a light and talented attacking midfield, it's expected during the matches we see some rotation. Less now than in the future where I see it happening more often - despite not being Mourinho's style. He changes players positions during the matches, but he likes better when his players keep the tactical proposal he decided for.

Also I don't think we should get a player that has just been signed to play out of his position (Andy on the RW). It will only make his adaptation harder.

I think Oscar will be benched some this season, and next season if he is to become a regular in the starting XI it's going to be on Mata's place (don't kill me) supposing we keep the same team - which is unlikely.

I can also see him replacing Mata when he comes from the bench more than any other player. It's where he fits better, it's where he will do better and while I know Mata has been our best player I really doubt he will continue to be. Sorry Mata fans but Eden is much better and Oscar will probably be better too.

At the moment Mata is better - he has a couple of seasons on him - but with more matches under their belt it's only a matter of time before Eden and then Oscar become better than Mata...

I don't things are as 'rigid' as we make them out to be. First, we won't just have a starting XI that will be the same for each match. Team selection is greatly influenced by the opponent. For example, if we are playing against Eveton at Gudison Park, I'd rather play Moses over Mata and Schurrle at RW because he would help keep Baines quite. And similarly each match will dictate it's own requirements.

I also think that one of the main advantages of 4-2-3-1 is the positional 'freedom' for the 3 behind the striker especially when that striker plays with his back to goal and gets involved in the link-up play. I remember just before the start of last season, we were having a very similar discussion here and there was an almost unanimous agreement that Mata, Hazard and Oscar can't play together. But then they proved us all wrong and we actually had our best performances when those 3 were playing at the same time. Mata who could not play at all at RW in 4-3-3 had some of his best performances this season at RW because in 4-2-3-1 he could drift inside and switch positions with #10 and even with the striker.

So I think we will need to see how everyone fits in the system and formation before we can tell who can and cannot play in a certain position.

I don't things are as 'rigid' as we make them out to be. First, we won't just have a starting XI that will be the same for each match. Team selection is greatly influenced by the opponent. For example, if we are playing against Eveton at Gudison Park, I'd rather play Moses over Mata and Schurrle at RW because he would help keep Baines quite. And similarly each match will dictate it's own requirements.

I also think that one of the main advantages of 4-2-3-1 is the positional 'freedom' for the 3 behind the striker especially when that striker plays with his back to goal and gets involved in the link-up play. I remember just before the start of last season, we were having a very similar discussion here and there was an almost unanimous agreement that Mata, Hazard and Oscar can't play together. But then they proved us all wrong and we actually had our best performances when those 3 were playing at the same time. Mata who could not play at all at RW in 4-3-3 had some of his best performances this season at RW because in 4-2-3-1 he could drift inside and switch positions with #10 and even with the striker.

So I think we will need to see how everyone fits in the system and formation before we can tell who can and cannot play in a certain position.

From the very beginning I thought we should always play Mazacar. All I needed was watch two Eden's matches and I was a gone.

I agree, we don't need to be to rigid, but those natural rotating happens better then the players already know each other, when there's chemistry.

I can't to see the team playing to be honest.

We need to see Mourinho's hand in the team again, then we can have a more reasonable convo about formations, tactics and positions.

He might even surprise us ;) He always surprises me

I, for one, don't think Eden is the best playing #10, I like him better in the LW.

The memories of his first games in EPL last season are so vivid in my mind. I was completely fascinated. I remember tons of plays and while that might be common for you guys, my memory sucks big time, so the fact I still remember some assists, some goals from the first five rounds, it's remarkable for my standards.

I think he plays amazingly in that side of the pitch and I'm sure he will be our best player next season. He's an exuberant player.

Oscar has much more tactical freedom playing for Brazil. He plays wherever he feels up to. We see him in the middle in the wings, we see tackling a lot, fighting for the ball. I'm such a big fan of the kid.

So I agree with you, we've been looking at formation in a very strict way. They will probably change positions a lot during the match - although that's not something Mourinho does a lot with his teams (compared to other managers I mean). Especially when it involves boys. He works their strengths first and then spread the options. So I see him at first being very focused on Oscar's, Eden's, KDB's, Andy's strengths and later helping them develop more skills and rotating them more in the pitch, but yeah, with such a light and talented attacking midfield, it's expected during the matches we see some rotation. Less now than in the future where I see it happening more often - despite not being Mourinho's style. He changes players positions during the matches, but he likes better when his players keep the tactical proposal he decided for.

I haven't said Eden is better as n10, especially in our team when we have someone like Mata for that position. I only said that he prefers playing there which he said some time ago :) I agree, he is doing really well on the LW.

I haven't said Eden is better as n10, especially in our team when we have someone like Mata for that position. I only said that he prefers playing there which he said some time ago :) I agree, he is doing really well on the LW.

oh I misunderstood you then. Sorry :blush:

From the very beginning I thought we should always play Mazacar. All I needed was watch two Eden's matches and I was a gone.

I agree, we don't need to be to rigid, but those natural rotating happens better then the players already know each other, when there's chemistry.

I can't to see the team playing to be honest.

We need to see Mourinho's hand in the team again, then we can have a more reasonable convo about formations, tactics and positions.

He might even surprise us ;) He always surprises me

Yeah we should wait and see what Jose's system will be. Right now, we don't even know if he's going to stick with 4-2-3-1.

I guess our strategy here would be to score more goals than the large amount that we will inevitably concede :P

I dont understand why you would assume a formation like that would make us concede a large amount of goals. Please explain.

Oscar actually reminds me of in-prime Sneijder a lot. Hopefully next season we see a game or 2 in a 4-3-1-2 formation and deploy Oscar behind 2 strikers (Lukaku/Torres/Whoever comes in.) I think he'd have lots of fun in a formation like that.

Oscar actually reminds me of in-prime Sneijder a lot. Hopefully next season we see a game or 2 in a 4-3-1-2 formation and deploy Oscar behind 2 strikers (Lukaku/Torres/Whoever comes in.) I think he'd have lots of fun in a formation like that.

I guess - but I'm not sure because I didn't watch the match - that's how he's playing or Brazil now, behind Hulk and Neymar.

But I'd actually have to watch Brazil playing to be sure of it.