Daniel Sturridge

the wes

Moses had a better game than Mata yesterday, should Mata be benched for Moses in the next games?

You've gone completely off the point i'm trying to make. All i'm saying is that had Torres put in the same performance last night it would have been called a poor performance because it was. No need to get defensive about it. It was his first start for a while after a torrid summer and so its to be expected. My only qualm is with the people who have been quick to say 'Danny is already better than Torres' or 'Danny gave a better performance than what Torres has all season' in order to justify hem claiming for weeks that he should be starting over Torres, when in fact he was rubbish last night

I thought Sturridge had a difficult 90 minutes but he was excellent in the 30 minutes of extra time. People tend to be overly critical of him but I feel his situation is understandable. He just wants to prove to manager that he’s good enough to be starting on a regular basis, which sometimes gets him shooting from impossible angles.

With that said he already has 2 goals to his name despite starting just one match (to put that into perspective England starter Welbeck has just a goal in 11 appearances) and could have had two assists in his last three appearances had Hazard and Moses finished off the sublime passes he gave to them.

Daniel has all the assets to be a fantastic Chelsea striker, all he needs is some talking to and confidence from the manager, I can bet he’ll score at least 20 goals this season if he gets any reasonable playing time.

He was pretty poor but i noticed a watching the game back he called for the ball, made runs, on time in the first half he put the ball down (for a free kick) and made a run straight away to make himself available.

That alone is a key reason as to why he deserves a run of games over Torres, he gets involved. and lets be honest price tag and previous built up reputation aside, what logical reason is there currently to start Nando over Sturridge?

You've gone completely off the point i'm trying to make. All i'm saying is that had Torres put in the same performance last night it would have been called a poor performance because it was. No need to get defensive about it. It was his first start for a while after a torrid summer and so its to be expected. My only qualm is with the people who have been quick to say 'Danny is already better than Torres' or 'Danny gave a better performance than what Torres has all season' in order to justify hem claiming for weeks that he should be starting over Torres, when in fact he was rubbish last night

Danny gets a pass for me because Torres has already exhausted most of my patience for the past 2 seasons. What separates Torres and Sturridge for me are their attitudes displayed on the pitch. Daniel may be selfish minded at times but he's hungry for chances and will remain confident regardless of the circumstances. Torres will always say the right things to the media regarding his performance and role on the team but his body language is shocking at times and it almost feels like he's given up. I'm not disputing the fact that we need to bring in a world class striker but to hear people say Sturridge is shit after his first ever start at the striker position for us is egregious.

Danny gets a pass for me because Torres has already exhausted most of my patience for the past 2 seasons. What separates Torres and Sturridge for me are their attitudes displayed on the pitch. Daniel may be selfish minded at times but he's hungry for chances and will remain confident regardless of the circumstances. Torres will always say the right things to the media regarding his performance and role on the team but his body language is shocking at times and it almost feels like he's given up. I'm not disputing the fact that we need to bring in a world class striker but to hear people say Sturridge is shit after his first ever start at the striker position for us is egregious.

Sturridge isn't shit, he just had a shit game. Lets see what else he can do with more game time, hopefully he'll improve and take Nando's place. But all i'm saying is his performance yesterday was like one Torres' bad game and yet people are saying he warrants starting over Torres. For me what Robbie needs to do is make use of both of them and ensure they can both get game time, from that we'll see who truly deserves to start

Sturridge isn't shit, he just had a shit game. Lets see what else he can do with more game time, hopefully he'll improve and take Nando's place. But all i'm saying is his performance yesterday was like one Torres' bad game and yet people are saying he warrants starting over Torres. For me what Robbie needs to do is make use of both of them and ensure they can both get game time, from that we'll see who truly deserves to start

We're already past that stage, Torres had his opportunity to cement his position in the starting 11, now it's Sturridge's chance. There's no point playing him at RW now that we have Moses who is more capable playing that role.

We're already past that stage, Torres had his opportunity to cement his position in the starting 11, now it's Sturridge's chance. There's no point playing him at RW now that we have Moses who is more capable playing that role.

Yeah and Torres has been inconsistent. Had a good start, but has faded recently. Personally don't think he deserves to be pushed aside because he hasn't been as bad as made out, just been ok. I reckon Robbie will be willing to give Sturridge a chance which is good. I'll reserve judgement and 'Sturridge>Torres' comments till after Sturridge has played some games

Yeah and Torres has been inconsistent. Had a good start, but has faded recently. Personally don't think he deserves to be pushed aside because he hasn't been as bad as made out, just been ok. I reckon Robbie will be willing to give Sturridge a chance which is good. I'll reserve judgement and 'Sturridge>Torres' comments till after Sturridge has played some games

Fair enough.

Yeah and Torres has been inconsistent. Had a good start, but has faded recently. Personally don't think he deserves to be pushed aside because he hasn't been as bad as made out, just been ok.

You have hit the nail on the head "been ok", being ok good enough for a squad player but not a number 1 forward at a club aiming to win trophies.

I know he scored last night, and he did take his goal well but my God that was ridiculously frustrating. The really dreadful thing is that Im not sure that Torres would have done any better. The case for signing a truly top class centre forward was only reinforced last night. With a great goal scorer this team would be genuinely lethal.