Mathieu Debuchy

Ivanovic isn't reliable anymore as a CB. Though his distribution did dramatically improve since he's there, he doesn't seem comfortable switching endlessly between CB and RB for 2 seasons now. Tactically he hasn't his marks anymore, he's often lost when he has to cover properly.

I think he's a right back now, not a CB anymore.

I noticed that a couple of times when he played at CB towards the end of last season but though that he wasn't having a good day, but come to think about it you're probably right SeB. On any account, with Terry Cahil and Luiz, I don't see him getting much time at CB except if Terry gets a lengthy ban.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed that a couple of times when he played at CB towards the end of last season but though that he wasn't having a good day, but come to think about it you're probably right SeB. On any account, with Terry Cahil and Luiz, I don't see him getting much time at CB except if Terry gets a lengthy ban.

There won't be any ban for the alleged Ferdinand affair. Something only a spectator noticed and reported to the police. Something nor QPR nor Chelsea players have heard about on the pitch etc... I could also report a random player for a slur toward another, but who'd have an evidence of it ?

Agreed. If this does turn out to be the case (+ us signing Debuchy/another RB), i'd expect to see Ivan leave next summer.

There won't be any ban for the alleged Ferdinand affair. Something only a spectator noticed and reported to the police. Something nor QPR nor Chelsea players have heard about on the pitch etc... I could also report a random player for a slur toward another, but who'd have an evidence of it ?

I'm not familiar with the law in England but some English members here have said that since the case has been taken the court then the police must have found some sort of evidence. But I hope you are right.

He is to good to play for us as reserve. His level will go down and also France will lose a consistant fullback. I hope he goes to a club, where he will have reliable playing position. And that, Chelsea who has Ivan, is not.

Maybe Real or Bayern, I'm sure there he would have standard position and could become world class.

Neuer

Debuchy-Boateng/Dante-Badstuber-Lahm

Kross-Schweini

Robben-Shaqiri-Ribery

Gomez

There is also Gustavo, Alaba, Pizzaro,...

I think next year, Bayern, Real, Barca, Chelsea, City will go furthest in CL.

I'm not familiar with the law in England but some English members here have said that since the case has been taken the court then the police must have found some sort of evidence. But I hope you are right.

I'm not a lawyer but I think that everyone can report something and from then, the police decides to investigate, just a procedure... But in fact Ferdinand did not hear it not QPR so if something really happened, there would have been a case opened because even more it's upseting to hear a racist slur, condemning the rival club by his iconic player is enticing.

It's a supposition from me but maybe the long report has no link with the Euros, maybe this report is regarded as not important and so then, add to the list to all the rubish legal procedures the justice has to fix

I think he's a right back now, not a CB anymore.

I've always preferred him Brana at right back. However one cannot discard the performance he put in at centre back against Barcelona because it was truly epic. He is certainly for my money the best fourth choice centre back in world football, and more than adequate backup for that position.

In a 60 game season (which next year is likely to be) I would like to see this being the rough split between our defenders:

New RB (Debuchy?) - 35 games

Ivanovic (at RB) - 25 games

Terry - 35 games

David Luiz - 35 games

Cahill - 35 games

Ivanovic (at CB) - 15 games

Ashley Cole - 35/40 games

Bertrand - 20/25 games

That split would keep everybody very much involved but also keep players fresh, particularly Terry and Ashley Cole who aren't getting any younger and have been overused in recent years.

This way a new RB would play a lot of games, but so would Ivanovic. I would be very happy to sign Debuchy, and the idea that he wouldn't play or develop here is nonsense.

I've always preferred him Brana at right back. However one cannot discard the performance he put in at centre back against Barcelona because it was truly epic. He is certainly for my money the best fourth choice centre back in world football, and more than adequate backup for that position.

In a 60 game season (which next year is likely to be) I would like to see this being the rough split between our defenders:

Terry - 35 games

David Luiz - 35 games

Cahill - 35 games

Bertrand - 20/25 games

That split would keep everybody very much involved but also keep players fresh, particularly Terry and Ashley Cole who aren't getting any younger and have been overused in recent years.

This way a new RB would play a lot of games, but so would Ivanovic. I would be very happy to sign Debuchy, and the idea that he wouldn't play or develop here is nonsense.

And maybe we could insert some cameos from youngsters like Hutch, Kane and maybe for PVA too.

Can't believe people are shoving aside Ivanovic just because Debuchy's had 2 decent games at the Euros.

I thought he wants to play CB, although i think hes a better RB and no matter what RB we buy he would be a starter RB anyday for me.

He would be a nice back up to have. However, especially after playing good at the euros, I dont expect him to be going to a club where he'll be hoping for 20-30 games being second choice.

Can't believe people are shoving aside Ivanovic just because Debuchy's had 2 decent games at the Euros.

Personally, I'm confident that Iva will retain his place, but we do need two RBs for net season to rest Iva and for when he is covering at CB.

Don't forget the numerous fantastic games he has had at LOSC, you can seb if you want more vindication. There is a reason he is on the National Team, you don't get there by luck. If the selectors wanted to play it safe, they could have played Lassana Diarra or Anthony Réveillère. Say Ivan tears his Cruciate Ligament, who plays at RB for the rest of the season? Hutch can't be called because he isn't 100% and would struggle to play more than 90minutes a week. Paulo will put in a decent shift, but he is getting too old.

Nobody's shoving Ivanovic aside here, mate. I see absolutely no reason why a team could not have two good right-backs with them rotating quite a lot and if one of them get's injured then the other one gets to play even more. At least last season we had Bosingwa, a 29-year-old right-back who only a couple of years ago was a world class defender but still we nearly shat our pants when Ivanovic was unavailable and we had to play José. Now what do you think would happen if sometime next season Ivanovic was out for a longer period of time and we didn't even have Bosingwa and would then have to rely on Ferreira who hasn't been fit to play even one full match a week for a couple of years now or Hutchinson who, like I said before on this topic, only has 6 games of professional football under his belt? As highly as we all rate our academy product Hutchinson and Ferreira, a loyal servant to the club for 8 years now, I wouldn't be comfortable going into the season with only those two guys as a backup plan if Ivanovic got injured or if a couple of our centre-backs were unavailable and Ivanovic was needed there.

If the manager's man management skills are good enough then he's more than capable of keeping two quality players happy and rotate the squad properly so that everyone who's good enough gets their chance to play. For example Real Madrid have Marcelo and Coentrao at LB and I rate both of them to be among the best left-backs in the world but I don't see either of them complaining about their playing time because Mourinho can handle both of them in the same team.

And lastly, most of us certainly aren't that fickle (at least I hope so :lol:) to want Debuchy just because he's done well for France in a couple of matches but because he's a world class player who has played well in Ligue 1 for many years now and played a large part in Lille's historical success in the last couple of years and with those merits played himself into the starting lineup of the French national team. Also for the prices quotes that's an absolute bargain and should be a no-brainer for the club if the player himself is willing to come. And why wouldn't he want to join the Champions of Europe?'

edit: Bloody hell, Spike Spiegel pretty much wrote the same thing above and it was all for nothing. <_<

Terry - 35 games

David Luiz - 35 games

Cahill - 35 games

Bertrand - 20/25 games

I wish life was that easy and predictable m8. In actual reality for the player on the bench there are other factors like form, state-of-mind and injuries. I'm afraid that a result of the above scenario is the departure of Brana from chelsea (unless there is a mojor injury to one of the other CBs or if JT gets overtly punished by the law or the FA... or loses form)

ivanovic, at cb, has not done as well as he has played at RB. there is no shoving aside but an accurate depiction of the situation by SeB. ivanovic should be first choice RB and a 4th choice CB. he should play CB only if it's ABSOLUTELY needed because we have 3 perfectly good centrebacks