Mathieu Debuchy

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you ever heard about something called squad depth? We have no solid cover on RB, only promising Hutchinson, who can't surly play important matches, if antyhing goes wrong, yet.

Squad depth is only relevant to buying players that are back ups to the first team. Going for someone like Debuchy is not going to increase depth, because he will never come to sit on the bench.

stick with brana at RB and have a home grown as a backup (and if we have to buy, then let's buy british to address the eufa rule of home grown quota)

Only problem is there aren't any quality British right-backs available for us to buy. Of course there's Richards and maybe Walker who could both do a job for us but I'm fairly sure they're not within our reach and the likes of Simpson etc. aren't good enough. If we are to stick with just Brana, Sam and old Paulo at RB it's a problem waiting to happen. As good as Ivanovic is at right-back he simply cannot play every single match in a season of 50-65 games and even though Hutchinson is a player we all want to succeed I wouldn't be comfortable playing the majority of games with him if Ivanovic were to get injured. And with Sam's injury record who's to say he wouldn't be injured all the time too?

It seems like people are using the 'Hutch will get injured' excuse to justify their desire to just buy more players. Buy, buy, buy it is for some of you, isn't it? No need for home grown players... -_-

Assume Iva gets a lengthy injury, what happens then? Hutch can't play two times a week. It's not that he might get injured it's that he can never fully recover from the injury he had.

Assume Iva gets a lengthy injury, what happens then? Hutch can't play two times a week. It's not that he might get injured it's that he can never fully recover from the injury he had.

Hutch can still fill a backup role. Why are you saying he can't play 2 games a week? Do you think he came out of retirement with his injury still there? You think the Doctors won't make sure he is 100% fit? Paulo is also decent. Both are better than Bosingwa IMO so it's an Automatic improvement. If worse comes to worse Bertrand can fill in a RB if needed. We are set in the RB position.

Why are you saying he can't play 2 games a week? Do you think he came out of retirement with his injury still there? You think the Doctors won't make sure he is 100% fit?

Because his knee is problems is not something that got cured. He retired because he thought that he can never play without knee pains. Even till now he still can't train more than four days in a row. The club is taking his rehabilitation step by step, and rightly so.

Because his knee is problems is not something that got cured. He retired because he thought that he can never play without knee pains. Even till now he still can't train more than four days in a row. The club is taking his rehabilitation step by step, and rightly so.

Like I said, if he is cleared to play than he should. Simple as that. He can be 2nd/3rd choice for sure

Like I said, if he is cleared to play than he should. Simple as that. He can be 2nd/3rd choice for sure

Yes, he can definitely be 3rd choice, but we still need a 2nd choice. Paulo is no longer 25 yo. He needs to retire and take a coaching position at the club.

Only problem is there aren't any quality British right-backs available for us to buy. Of course there's Richards and maybe Walker who could both do a job for us but I'm fairly sure they're not within our reach and the likes of Simpson etc. aren't good enough. If we are to stick with just Brana, Sam and old Paulo at RB it's a problem waiting to happen. As good as Ivanovic is at right-back he simply cannot play every single match in a season of 50-65 games and even though Hutchinson is a player we all want to succeed I wouldn't be comfortable playing the majority of games with him if Ivanovic were to get injured. And with Sam's injury record who's to say he wouldn't be injured all the time too?

Agreed. But the question is can u have a "world class" fullback warming your bench for most of the season -- with the exception of the league cup and maybe a handful of league games?

From what we've seen through out the years, most quality players won't settle for that kind of arrangement. Maybe Walker might fit the the bill but definitley not Richards... a tough one this right back situation. :confused:

Lol,I knew this thread was going to be made after yesterday's game.I think Euro 2012 will be a great tournament for us to scout some talent.Our primary targets are a right back and a right back.There are plenty of games left in the competition and I am sure many will impress us.

My point is that the Hulk saga shouldn't be stretched too much,if Porto don't feel that 35m is enough then there will be others who for a cheaper price may be subjectively better than him.So,lets hope Euro 2012 gives us more options for the positions required.

Would be good to see Debuchy at Chelsea. We need some quality & depth at RB.

Hutchinson/Kane can probably fill in as 3rd choice.

People like you are failing to use logic...Will Debuchy even be content with 2nd choice? Why move from a team that you are a starter in to become a Bench warmer in another? I certainly would not want to do that. Look at what happened to Sahin at Madrid.

People like you are failing to use logic...Will Debuchy even be content with 2nd choice? Why move from a team that you are a starter in to become a Bench warmer in another? I certainly would not want to do that. Look af what happened to Sahin at Madrid.

No one is guaranteed a starting place when they move to a tea no matter how big a name they are (Torres, Sheva....) They move because they believe they have the ability to fight for that starting XI place. If Debuchy is too good to sit on the bench then he should have no problem bumping Ive to the sidelines.