Mathieu Debuchy

Did anyone know about this guy before the Euros? It seems his name has popped up suddenly after the England game, all is forgotten about this Azpilicueta guy. When people were coming up with lists of quality right backs in the world, Debuchy was nowhere to be seen. I guess I have to be (one of) the first to admit that I had no idea who he was before the Euros, and I'm always cautious at forming an opinion on a player based on 1-2 games. I do like his name though, a proper footballer's name.

So how good is he really? Aside from the 2 games in the Euros. Was he by far the best right-back in Ligue 1? He is in the French squad so I know he can't be total trash, but so was Bosingwa in Portuguese team and look how well that went. And why is he supposedly evaluated so low?

I watched him quite a few times when I was watching Lille scouting out Eden Hazard :P He has had a solid season with Lille and shown that in his international games. I didn't think we were going for him back then because it seemed we would be making Van Der Wiel are priority but that seems to have all changed now thankfully.

https://twitter.com/MathieuDebuchy

Does anyone know whether is that Debuchy's real Twitter account? Judging from the tweets, don't think it is. Think it is ran by a fan or someone who is close to him but Giroud is following the account. Need confirmation.

Pretty sure that's fake, especially judging by the tweets put out. The tweet about Newcastle is what really deems it as fake, I can't see a professional footballer doing something like that. Sure Hazard did something similar but that's just Hazard being Hazard :P

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone know about this guy before the Euros? It seems his name has popped up suddenly after the England game, all is forgotten about this Azpilicueta guy. When people were coming up with lists of quality right backs in the world, Debuchy was nowhere to be seen. I guess I have to be (one of) the first to admit that I had no idea who he was before the Euros, and I'm always cautious at forming an opinion on a player based on 1-2 games. I do like his name though, a proper footballer's name.

So how good is he really? Aside from the 2 games in the Euros. Was he by far the best right-back in Ligue 1? He is in the French squad so I know he can't be total trash, but so was Bosingwa in Portuguese team and look how well that went. And why is he supposedly evaluated so low?

Debuchy was a versatile midfielder, he played DM and RM before he realized there wasn't any proper RB in France, since a discussion with Lille's coaching staff he plays there.

He's good offensively even if defensively he's not 100% reliable. He has the tactical awareness due to his versatility but he forgets himself sometimes. Though he's faaaar better than Van der Wiel defensively of course. French best defensive RB is Sagna, Debuchy is a very good alternative between a proper defensive compartiment and an interesting will to go forward

But he has an excellent mentality, he was captain at times this season with Lille. He's the perfect pro footballer who wants to improve, incredible determination to prove himself week after week now he's been given a run with the French NT (what's incredible with him, he does not consider him good enough to sort his games like many would do in his position).

Lille just rejected Newcastle's 4Mil bid.

'But I do believe that Newcastle have faxed an offer of £4million - but they must have the wrong player' -

Lille boss Rudi Garcia laughed off their offer.

Lille just rejected Newcastle's 4Mil bid.

'But I do believe that Newcastle have faxed an offer of £4million - but they must have the wrong player' -

Lille boss Rudi Garcia laughed off their offer.

classic :)

i think we'll chip in with the 8 mil.

Why don't we keep ivanovic as first choice right back and use Todd Kane as our back up right back? May as well at least try Todd in pre-season and see if he's up to the job but last season for youth team and reserves he was VERY good and I think a perfectly good back up right back, we always say we want to use our youngsters so this is a perfect opportunity.

Why don't we keep ivanovic as first choice right back and use Todd Kane as our back up right back? May as well at least try Todd in pre-season and see if he's up to the job but last season for youth team and reserves he was VERY good and I think a perfectly good back up right back, we always say we want to use our youngsters so this is a perfect opportunity.

I believe we should use youngsters more as well, but this is way way too much. We need to work guys who are ready into positions where they are depth and get into 15-20 games. I'd be OK with McEachran being the 6th or 7th midfielder (would rather he went on loan though) because even if something were to happen with injuries, McEachran would still not need to be a starter. It's comfortable depth. But Todd Kane? He hasn't played a single professional game in his life. He needs to go on loan for at least 2-3 years and play well regularly before he should even be considered to be a backup for Chelsea. I don't think we need an elite RB, Ivanovic should be our starter, but we need someone who is capable of stepping in and playing at a high level immediately.

Todd Kane could get skinned alive in the Preseason. Then we have no backup...

Good point. Personally think Todd Kane isn't ready yet.

The kid is only 18, has raw talent but needs more development time. Big gap between reserves and first-team football.

I wanna see him impress on a loan spell at a npower Championship club.

The kid is only 18, has raw talent but needs more development time. Big gap between reserves and first-team football.

Nah, I think Todd should stay here for another two years minimum before going out on loan. Don't like seeing youngsters that are too young go out on loan.

I'm sick of these comments keep coming up when we are linked to a right back. Bosingwa played somewhere between 30-40 games last season I believe, and that is supposed to be our backup right back. A very possible scenario next season could see Terry suspended for the racism issue for 8-10 games or maybe more. All it takes then is one injury and we'll need Ivanovic for centre back.

Can you seriously justify risking an 18 year old in what is likely to be around half the games during a season. With Bosingwa gone, the club needs a quality right back to challenge Ivanovic. End of.

Exaclty, the kid isn't ready and wont be a for few years yet. If we throw him in too early we will expect far too much.