David Luiz

the wes

Weak game again ... Focus and concentration is a must for a CB. Kompany learned this the hard way and now gets the flak on belgian tv for being too simply/reliable. Go figure.

Fuck that. Luiz should translate his ability into his role on the pitch. A player that does not do that or isnt able, is a problem. If he is a CB, concentration really IS a crucial competence.

Also: even if people boast his technicality, I cringe when he receives a ball and it bounces 3 meters from his feet- which he then spurts to recuperate. What is technical about that?

He fails in my account after a loooooooooooong evaluation.

I have always believed that Luiz technical ability is overblown and overrated. JT for one is more technically gifted than Luiz imo going by the correct definition and not the meaningless flamboyant stuff. The problem is sometimes people mistake flamboyancy for technical ability which would make some people rank players like CRonaldo ahead of an Iniesta on the technical ability curve.

I have always believed that Luiz technical ability is overblown and overrated. JT for one is more technically gifted than Luiz imo going by the correct definition and not the meaningless flamboyant stuff. The problem is sometimes people mistake flamboyancy for technical ability which would make some people rank players like CRonaldo ahead of an Iniesta on the technical ability curve.

That is a terrible analogy.

Go ahead, in what way is JT more technically gifted? Not knocking JT here whose technical ability is underrated but go ahead, tell me?

That is a terrible analogy.

Go ahead, in what way is JT more technically gifted? Not knocking JT here whose technical ability is underrated but go ahead, tell me?

First touch and passing (especially the latter). The latter for me is not even debatable as there are very few defenders with passing range and accuracy of JT. his left foot passing is a thing of beauty.

How many times does Luiz attempt the hollywood 50 yard pass without success in games and how often does he get dispossed due to bad first touch and awkwardness in possession which he usually tries to make up for by getting his body in the way to win a foul.

Shooting is the only technical aspect that Luiz rank higher than JT for me, every other aspect, no chance.

First touch and passing (especially the latter). The latter for me is not even debatable as there's very few defender with passing range and accuracy of JT

Fair enough, Terry's first touch is excellent but I believe Luiz's passing is probably on par with Terry, it's just that he tries the long ball a lot more than JT does; JT picks and chooses his moments whilst Luiz is usually under the instruction to try long balls from deep.

However, first touch and passing aren't the only two things that define technical ability, and I'm pretty sure you know that.

First touch and passing (especially the latter). The latter for me is not even debatable as there are very few defenders with passing range and accuracy of JT. his left foot passing is a thing of beauty.

How many times does Luiz attempt the hollywood 50 yard pass without success in games and how often does he get dispossed due to bad first touch and awkwardness in possession which he usually tries to make up for by getting his body in the way to win a foul.

Shooting is the only technical aspect that Luiz rank higher than JT for me, every other aspect, no chance.

Huh?

I believe Luiz is perfect in every aspect except perhaps for his decisionmaking sometimes.

And to compare him to JT just creates a non-discussion. Who has better touch or passing... JT is JT and Luiz is Luiz. They're both CBs sure, but totally different characters and playstyle.

On a side note to this discussion, I don't think I have seen a centre back in a long time who can pass a ball long like JT with either foot.

See his ball to Ashley Cole v Sunderland a few seasons ago. Absolute top class.

Fair enough, Terry's first touch is excellent but I believe Luiz's passing is probably on par with Terry, it's just that he tries the long ball a lot more than JT does; JT picks and chooses his moments whilst Luiz is usually under the instruction to try long balls from deep.

However, first touch and passing aren't the only two things that define technical ability, and I'm pretty sure you know that.

I don't disagree on everything with TPtB, but tend to emphasize and nit pick the disagreements in discussions. However, concerning De Niro guy, I don’t seem to even watch the same sport as he does.

Comparing the technical ability of Terry and Luiz is really ridiculous. You put Terry in midfield and he’d be completely lost – a liability like many here like to say. His technical ability is good albeit very CB like. David Luiz is twice the player Terry is when taking first touch, passing (long, short, little flicks), shooting, and dribbling alone. The same way John Terry is twice the player David Luiz is when you take into consideration reading of the game, aerial, blocking, decisions, leadership (the mental aspects). I don’t deny that; my point has always been that different systems take advantage of different types of players, including Cbs.

In the current Mourinho system Luiz is wasted in defense. His attributes are wasted there and he lacks the ones that are needed, again in the current system. In other systems, the mechanics of the team would allow him to move into midfield in a seamless way (because it provides the necessary cover). This IS currently done by Brazil or do you think they let David Luiz exposed at all times?!

Only one person thinks Luiz is a bad player, without any merit, and that person dismisses any talks about valuation, THE most tangible evidence we’ve got. It’s up to HIM to disprove David Luiz valuation in the market though, because it is what it is. He is the reason I think technical merit is NOT the only thing being taken into account when assessing DL as a player.

BTW, TPtB, Thiago Silva is a short CB absolutely TERRIBLE in the air. Yes, his reading and decisions are indeed better than Luiz’ but not much else.

Carlos Puyol just announce hes going to leave barcelona...

Great opportunity to sell high for Luiz...

Or not.

People dont realize what a great player and asset Luiz is. Great as both CB and DM. Just remember Mikel and Lampard wont be with us for much longer. Neither might JT (though he's looking great atm) and theres always the risk of injuries to any player.