David Luiz

the wes

He did have his moments, but just made too many mistakes. I do admire his desire to do something when we are losing, but that ends up costing us. You just can't leave your position so often against a team like Everton.

All these words are fine to describe yourself. It seems you are one of those guys that only cares about short term results. You should avoid internet after a bad result. Take a breath, and return few hours later. This forum will be a better place, believe me.

all this coming from u!!! huh...

truth too hot to handle???

Had his bad moments but wasn't half as bad as what people made him out to be.

People don't understand the type of defender Luiz is, he's the aggressor, he's the one that goes out to win the ball early, so of course he won't be in perfect position all the time. People need to get over it.

Jela lost Iva; because Iva was marking him at the beginning of the play but did not do a good job allowing the ball to be sent back into the box. JT was obviously not prepared for the live ball and also lost his man, but I reckon Iva mishap was the main cause for the goal.

My point remain he moved up *because* we were getting involved. So, you can't say had he not moved up we'd be able to cover... etc Because had he not moved up, the wide pass by the everton player wouldn't have been necessary as he might have gone straight for the goal. There was an opening there.

My bias here is that I dislike defenders in line inside our own box most of the time (used to be common in the EPL I know), especially in open play. No I am not sure his movement was good, as I don't know what Mourinho instructs him to do, but I also don't think it was the main cause for the goal as we had two defenders covering two everton players and the cross wasn't that great to be honest.

So, while I also question David's positioning (with the caveat that I am not 100% certain it was a bad move), I'd not call him the culprit; JT and Iva were just as, if not more, at fault there. They are supposed to be the dominant ones in the air after all, and prob the reason they were inside the box at that moment and David wasn't - perhaps just as instructed by Mou.

iva HAD to take up luiz's place and lessen the space created INSIDE the box by luiz. he HAD to let go jela. jela was no longer iva's man. u cant blame him for jela playing the ball back again. this is like a chain reaction and the catalyst here is LUIZ. his mistake of trying to be the hero cost us.

there was no opening. watch JT. he was covering his end. plus i would take an everton player trying to shoot from 20-25 yards out rather than some1 trying to head the ball in from 2 yards.

for me, its simple. if u r a defender of your team, your PRIMARY objective is to DEFEND. when u have done that, then u think about attack and trying to nibble the ball away and stuff. luiz is supposed to be our future captain, such reckless acts and poor decision making is not the ideal way to go.

People don't understand the type of defender Luiz is, he's the aggressor, he's the one that goes out to win the ball early, so of course he won't be in perfect position all the time. People need to get over it.

He was by the corner flag three times in open play :P We didn't have a set piece or anything, he just made a run and continued his run all the way down the flank to the corner flag. I love Luiz, but when he over-does it in games like today, he's really not helping his case.

He was by the corner flag three times in open play :P We didn't have a set piece or anything, he just made a run and continued his run all the way down the flank to the corner flag. I love Luiz, but when he over-does it in games like today, he's really not helping his case.

Well, in the context of that action - we were losing and time was running out, and obviously he has been given the freedom to go up and try and win the game for us. It wasn't just out of the blue.

Well, in the context of that action - we were losing and time was running out, and obviously he has been given the freedom to go up and try and win the game for us. It wasn't just out of the blue.

Not exactly. AFAIR, he did make a fair bit of those forward runs when it was still 0-0.

He should have done better in Everton goal, but the entire defense was confused at the moment, it was a collective mistake, and after so many wasted chances, only a fool would blame Luiz for the result.

I'm not buying that, he's a defender, his job is to defend not go chasing the ball when he should be in our box. I'm not saying he was the worst but it was frustrating seeing him constantly run out to try and get the ball leaving our defenders vulnerable. His need to boot the ball up field is increasingly annoying as well, 9 times out of ten it's a poor pass.

He should have done better in Everton goal, but the entire defense was confused at the moment, it was a collective mistake, and after so many wasted chances, only a fool would blame Luiz for the result.

I felt Cech was at least equally to blame,,,but as you correctly said it was a COLLECTIVE mistake...so we should forgive KALOU this time

Not exactly. AFAIR, he did make a fair bit of those forward runs when it was still 0-0.

He didn't overdo it in the first half though. He's been given the freedom to do such as it makes us far more unpredictable, so it isn't that much of a problem.

we were creating chances. a couple of them were open goals which we would have eventually put in the back of the net.

everton were on the backfoot in the first half. in the 2nd half, with a lead to protect they parked the bus. they dint need to do anything else.

with conceding the goal just before the half-time, we put ourselves under 1000 times more pressure than what would have been if it was 0-0. mata and schurlle would not have been taken out for lamps and oscar, because that is simply taking out any true width from the attack. i simply cant understand those subs, and have to say those were panic subs because jose wanted a goal no matter what.

the goal and specially the timing of it changed the way the whole match was setup. luiz was the main culprit for the goal and will have to take his share of blame. and only a fool would say no to this.

also people blaming cech need to see CHELSEA under jose more clearly. everytime cech gets the ball, he looks for a run being made or a chance for a counter. he did nothing but try to force the game and get our counter running.

we want luiz to lead our line in the near future, lets see him act the position he is going to be entrusted with.

I'm not buying that, he's a defender, his job is to defend not go chasing the ball when he should be in our box. I'm not saying he was the worst but it was frustrating seeing him constantly run out to try and get the ball leaving our defenders vulnerable. His need to boot the ball up field is increasingly annoying as well, 9 times out of ten it's a poor pass.

despite what some on here think .. Luiz is able to play to instructions, Watch him for Brazil and he will rarely venture into the opposing half .

I don't know what instructions he gets from our coaches and I dont think other posters do . I am sure if he is NOT doing what Jose has said it would have been VERY obvious

from the touch line

Did u guys even watch the game? You are looking for problem where non excists. This is how Luiz is, and how he should be.

There is a reason Luiz+Terry has been our best CB pair. We dont need two Terry's. Luiz's playstyle is quite unique and I absolutley love it.

You guys are complaining about that he is reckless and goes forward too much. Well isnt that better than him making defensive errors? I honestly rarely see him do them.

And regarding todays game: You guys are talking as if we had ANY defensive issues. Our problems were from DM and up. Everton didnt really create much.

I was talking about an incident in the first half when it was still 0-0 :P At around 30 mins IIRC.

But like I said in my first post, I do admire his desire to do do something when we're behind

I think it wasn't one of his best matches, but the disgraceful, pathetic or whatever were the other three adjectives used seem stretching it a bit.

Something I always praise him about was off today: his long passes. When Everton started to overcrowd the second third, he tried a few times, but they didn't go as he wanted - except one time if I remember correctly. He should have stopped with them then and admitted that he wasn't feeling the ball well today to make that kind of thing.

Our defense looked sort of clueless in their positioning more than once and he wasn't the only one. It was a hot mess in 2-3 occasions. I had problems particularly with Luiz when he left the box and came to mark the guy in the flank while Everton was setting up the play. It wasn't counter-attack or anything, but when they were high in our field. He's a CB his main responsibility when the opponent is retaining possession in the attack and looking for a break is inside the box. I don't like when he goes outside the box, especially too close to the side line because Terry is slow - although normally good positioning. This is Cole and Ivanovic jobs helped by Hazard and André/Ramires. It happened a few times in the second (early in the second). It bothers me. What doesn't bothers me is when he goes higher - but still through the middle, trying to anticipate and intercept. He's an aggressor kind of CB, not the one that sits deep and waits to tackled. I like it that he steps up going 2-3 meters out of the box - in the middle - because he has a high rate of interceptions there, and it's easier to recover if he fails, there are normally our double pivots there and when Oscar is playing he's closely by, so David can try and anticipate taking matters on his hands. But please don't go to the flanks mark their wingers and FB because leaving only Terry (and Cole or Ivanovic depending on which side he's moving to) is a liability, not only because of Terry, but because normally there isn't someone to quickly cover him because the other players aren't too close to the box and it's one thing to have Oscar for example tackling a few meters outside the box, another completely different is expecting him to enter the box and mark a striker for example.

Cahill and Terry were looking good and building an understanding as defenders ,Luiz is unpredictable and briliant in the same breath ,when it comes to defending you do not need unpredictable ,Jose has said he sees Luiz as a centre half ,but he has a lot to learn in that role for now.