David Luiz

the wes

I don't think we should address the captaincy issue till JT leaves because captain doesn't need to play every game. Also, Cole signed a 2-year contract right? I would love to see Cole get the armband if JT leaves at the end of next season

about David Luiz, if you'd asked at the start of the season, many of us - myself included - would've said 'Definitely No' but now i will say 'maybe'. still not convinced

Really? Would you mind sharing the link mate?

I couldn't find a more reliable source but I certainly do remember it being posted on several websites.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/05/01/2466223/david-luiz-is-a-chelsea-captain-in-the-making-john-terry

Terry himself said he sees Luiz as his successor.

what changed my opinion about Luiz was the incident during the City game. we were 2-0 down and Luiz chased a lost cause, kept the ball in and won a free-kick from Zabaleta. That gave our fans something to shout about and psychologically, the game turned there.

But as @CHOULO19, pointed out, the captain in football would need to speak with refs and clear any problem that arises and David Luiz's English doesn't look good enough to communicate with refs who will no doubt have a thick British accent (I imagine). this is also why i want Cole ahead of Cech in the Captaincy order

what changed my opinion about Luiz was the incident during the City game. we were 2-0 down and Luiz chased a lost cause, kept the ball in and won a free-kick from Zabaleta. That gave our fans something to shout about and psychologically, the game turned there.

But as @CHOULO19, pointed out, the captain in football would need to speak with refs and clear any problem that arises and David Luiz's English doesn't look good enough to communicate with refs who will no doubt have a thick British accent (I imagine). this is also why i want Cole ahead of Cech in the Captaincy order

Yeah, I have said before that the only thing standing in between Luiz and the future captaincy is his language barrier. If he can become a bit more fluent in English then it's his IMO.

John Terry reaffirmed yesterday that he thinks Luiz is a future captain here:

Terry says that his fellow stalwart Petr Cech would be his obvious successor; his respect for the goalkeeper runs deep. Yet David Luiz is the future and the flamboyant attack-minded Brazil defender stands to bring a freshness and dynamism to the role. He is the man of the moment after his jaw-dropping 30-yard strike fired Chelsea's 3-0 victory at Fulham on Wednesday and, behind the scenes at the club, he is considered to be captaincy material.

"I think so," Terry said when asked. "What he has shown here … Naturally, big Pete will get the armband and, hopefully, I have a few years left. You see big Pete and he has been here the longest. But you look at David and he has done incredibly well this year because he has stepped into midfield and been pulled back in certain games. It must be difficult for a player to be pulled left, right and centre but he is capable of doing it.

"The Fulham game just goes to show what ability he has. Not just the goal but five minutes after that, he stepped into midfield and put Fernando [Torres] through with his left foot with a 40-yard ball. He is still learning, still very young, but will be a very, very good player.

"He has the personality of a leader. He pushes the lads. He is like that in training, demanding a lot from himself and the other players around him. It's good for the squad. When they see myself, Frank [Lampard] and Petr Cech on a daily basis and players over the years like Didier [Drogba] training like that, they can only learn and repeat what we've done."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/18/david-luiz-chelsea-captain-john-terry

That is unlikely to happen though. Terry's contract will be expiring at the end of next season and so is Cole. I doubt the club would be renewing their contracts then especially the latter's one. And even if they do, can't imagine Cole getting the captaincy role. Won't stay for much longer anyway. Need a captain for long term.

I can't Luiz seriously as captain till he cuts his hair and stops sticking his tongue out in photos.

What does his hair have to do with being captain though. He has curly hair, curly hair gets big and unruly sometimes. That does not affect the type of captain he can be.

Whilst the tongue thing can get annoying real quick again that's off the pitch behavior and who he is as a charismatic person. Once he doesn't stick his tongue out at the official......