David Luiz

the wes

Back line was rank poor yesterday and Luiz was at fault partly for their first yesterday. He got caught ball watching from Carragher's long ball, and left his runner instead of allowing Ryan to deal with the play receiving.

Basics again and very poor communication.

Back line was rank poor yesterday and Luiz was at fault partly for their first yesterday. He got caught ball watching from Carragher's long ball, and left his runner instead of allowing Ryan to deal with the play receiving.

Basics again and very poor communication.

Lazy marking for the second goal as well. He even lost a few balls dangerously and was lucky we did not pay for his those mistakes. Just had a terrible game all around.

Lazy marking for the second goal as well. He even lost a few balls dangerously and was lucky we did not pay for his those mistakes. Just had a terrible game all around.

I didn't put the goal in there, you are right, thanks.

His lazy marking for the second goal (agreed) was a carbon copy of Ivanovic's lazy marking in the first goal *and* second goal too. For the second goal, Luiz was in front of Suarez, and Iva behind him, neither really marking him. For the first goal, Iva was in front of Sturridge (also from the cross' point of view) and Azpi behind him, neither really marking Sturridge.

Once again, both perfect crosses, both coming from Bertrand's side... No pressure whatsoever to prevent the gazillion crosses, especially in the final minutes during Liverpool onslaught.

I disagree, however that Luiz had a terrible game, even defensively. We defended poorly, which also let Luiz at times mano a mano with Suarez and Sturridge. He only let Suarez get behind him once, and even then he managed the slightest touch to put Suarez in a worse angle for a shot (defended by Cech). Mikel was IMO far worse than both Iva and Luiz, even though defender's mistakes are a lot more obvious.

My point is that we are once again pin-pointing his mistakes. The weakest aspect of his game is indeed his heading, which is why Terry is always the better partner, but that'd be too easy for Benitez. After all it worked so well at Fulham...

His lazy marking for the second goal (agreed) was a carbon copy of Ivanovic's lazy marking in the first goal *and* second goal too. For the second goal, Luiz was in front of Suarez, and Iva behind him, neither really marking him. For the first goal, Iva was in front of Sturridge (also from the cross' point of view) and Azpi behind him, neither really marking Sturridge.

Once again, both perfect crosses, both coming from Bertrand's side... No pressure whatsoever to prevent the gazillion crosses, especially in the final minutes during Liverpool onslaught.

I disagree, however that Luiz had a terrible game, even defensively. We defended poorly, which also let Luiz at times mano a mano with Suarez and Sturridge. He took only let Suarez get behind him once, and even then he managed the slightest touch to put Suarez in a worse angle for a shot (defended by Cech). Mikel was IMO far worse than both Iva and Luiz, even though defender's mistakes are a lot more obvious.

My point is that we are once again pin-pointing his mistakes. The weakest aspect of his game is indeed his heading, which is why Terry is always the better partner, but that'd be too easy for Benitez. After all it worked so well at Fulham...

I didn't think Luiz had such a bad game until I re-watched the match and noticed some of his mistakes. In the first half alone, he was dispossessed 3 times in our half! Twice Iva recovered well and once Downing played a pass to an offside Suarez. He was also too aggressive in his defending, imo; tried to nick the ball before it reached players on a number of occasions and failed allowing them to just turn him easily. And throughout the match, the gap between him and Iva was just ridiculous. He was also out of position too often. Take the first goal for example, he was the one who was supposed to press Suarez and not allow him to play that ball, instead he wandered off trying to double with Bertrand on Downing and left Suarez completely unmarked on the edge of the box. Bertrand is blameless for this one.

I'm the first to praise Luiz when he does well, but I'm also the first to point out his mistakes because I like him as a player.

Has anybody seen the "documentary" Globo Esporte did about him? Amazing character, what he had to go through isn't for everybody. WOW!

Brilliant player and even a better person, just got to focus a bit more!

http://globoesporte.globo.com/programas/esporte-espetacular/noticia/2013/04/origens-aposta-do-brasil-david-luiz-quase-defendeu-selecao-de-portugal.html#atleta-david-luiz

Has anybody seen the "documentary" Globo Esporte did about him?

Amazing character, what he had to go through isn't for everybody. WOW!

Brilliant player and even a better person, just got to focus a bit more!

Agreed. I criticised him earlier in the season, but he's become such an important player in our team and along with Mata he's one of the players that we've bought in recent years who not only represents this club well, but also gets this club.

I like how he's adapted his game too. Early on he'd try and play his way out of trouble and he'd get caught out a few times so clearly someone at the club told him to just clear it. Problem is he went a little overboard and just hoofed the ball into touch every time. Now he seems to know the English game well enough to judge when he has time and when he doesn't.

He's not perfect but he has become someone we've started to be able to rely on and he's become one of those players who elevates the performance of those around him. He's a leader in the team and we sorely need those at the moment.

I didn't think Luiz had such a bad game until I re-watched the match and noticed some of his mistakes. In the first half alone, he was dispossessed 3 times in our half! Twice Iva recovered well and once Downing played a pass to an offside Suarez. He was also too aggressive in his defending, imo; tried to nick the ball before it reached players on a number of occasions and failed allowing them to just turn him easily. And throughout the match, the gap between him and Iva was just ridiculous. He was also out of position too often. Take the first goal for example, he was the one who was supposed to press Suarez and not allow him to play that ball, instead he wandered off trying to double with Bertrand on Downing and left Suarez completely unmarked on the edge of the box. Bertrand is blameless for this one.

I'm the first to praise Luiz when he does well, but I'm also the first to point out his mistakes because I like him as a player.

I noticed those mistakes too, but so what? Defenders make mistakes and they may be caused by opponent's pressure. Luiz is also responsible for distribution, since Mikel is so poor on the ball, so Luiz sometimes has to pick a difficult pass, or make a run to keep possession otherwise he'd kick it back to the opponent all the time... which is exactly what happen in the final minutes of Liverpool onslaught.

Ask him to just kick it up field and he won't be making these mistakes.

We were dominated by Liverpool, esp in the second half. The team was dominated, esp the midfield.

As important as Luiz is for Chelsea, he is just a defender.

Agreed. I criticised him earlier in the season, but he's become such an important player in our team and along with Mata he's one of the players that we've bought in recent years who not only represents this club well, but also gets this club.

I like how he's adapted his game too. Early on he'd try and play his way out of trouble and he'd get caught out a few times so clearly someone at the club told him to just clear it. Problem is he went a little overboard and just hoofed the ball into touch every time. Now he seems to know the English game well enough to judge when he has time and when he doesn't.

He's not perfect but he has become someone we've started to be able to rely on and he's become one of those players who elevates the performance of those around him. He's a leader in the team and we sorely need those at the moment.

I think he will be even better with Mourinho. (if he comes)

I remember Lucio, joining the attack way to often and sometimes positioning himself very badly, but when Jose came to Inter, he became the best defender in the world during those 2 years. I honestly believe he will be really good under a manager like Mourinho.

It is impressive how some managers can make their players obey and follow their orders.

@Rmpr, Are you talking about the video in the link you provided? That video isn't opening up for me, any link where i can download that documentary?

They are blocking by IP then, their videos dont go to Youtube. :(

EDIT: Wait, I will try to find it anyways...