David Luiz

the wes

I noticed those mistakes too, but so what? Defenders make mistakes and they may be caused by opponent's pressure. Luiz is also responsible for distribution, since Mikel is so poor on the ball, so Luiz sometimes has to pick a difficult pass, or make a run to keep possession otherwise he'd kick it back to the opponent all the time... which is exactly what happen in the final minutes of Liverpool onslaught.

Ask him to just kick it up field and he won't be making these mistakes.

We were dominated by Liverpool, esp in the second half. The team was dominated, esp the midfield.

As important as Luiz is for Chelsea, he is just a defender.

All Luiz did in the first half was lump the ball up field to no one in particular. He must have done it more than 10 times in the opening 20 mins. Most of the mistakes he made were when he was under no pressure what so ever. His positioning throughout the game was just indefensible.

Luiz has probably been our best player since the turn of the year, but he just had a shocker yesterday.

All Luiz did in the first half was lump the ball up field to no one in particular. He must have done it more than 10 times in the opening 20 mins. Most of the mistakes he made were when he was under no pressure what so ever. His positioning throughout the game was just indefensible.

Luiz has probably been our best player since the turn of the year, but he just had a shocker yesterday.

OK, for the sake of argument, I will agree that he wasn't at his best (which is prob true since I expect a lot from him). His distribution in the first half was pretty good IMO.

However, why then do we depend so much on him? Why are his mistakes pinpointed so much when Iva for example, was involved not in one, but in both liverpool goals?! One reason is because he is responsible for the distribution, but he cannot do it alone.

Why do we talk so much about a mere defender, who is not involved in the play most of the time, or at least should not be. It's all in the midfield. Ramires had a great first half, and coincidentally, Chelsea had a good first half. Ramires looked tired in the second, and Mikel did not step up (just too passive for me), which led to utter Liverpool dominance. Mata too was very poor considering he played in teh center of the pitch.

My point remains too much attention is given to Luiz play, and not enough to the most important area, which is always the midfield.

Has anybody seen the "documentary" Globo Esporte did about him? Amazing character, what he had to go through isn't for everybody. WOW!

Brilliant player and even a better person, just got to focus a bit more!

http://globoesporte.globo.com/programas/esporte-espetacular/noticia/2013/04/origens-aposta-do-brasil-david-luiz-quase-defendeu-selecao-de-portugal.html#atleta-david-luiz

No subtitles <_<

OK, for the sake of argument, I will agree that he wasn't at his best (which is prob true since I expect a lot from him). His distribution in the first half was pretty good IMO.

However, why then do we depend so much on him? Why are his mistakes pinpointed so much when Iva for example, was involved not in one, but in both liverpool goals?! One reason is because he is responsible for the distribution, but he cannot do it alone.

Why do we talk so much about a mere defender, who is not involved in the play most of the time, or at least should not be. It's all in the midfield. Ramires had a great first half, and coincidentally, Chelsea had a good first half. Ramires looked tired in the second, and Mikel did not step up (just too passive for me), which led to utter Liverpool dominance. Mata too was very poor considering he played in teh center of the pitch.

My point remains too much attention is given to Luiz play, and not enough to the most important area, which is always the midfield.

We depend on him because he is part of the new spine for the team just like Cech-Terry-Lamps-Drogba were for the past 8 seasons. He is vital part of our team and hope fully will be in the future. His performance naturally has an effect on the team.

What do you mean "mere defender"? There are 11 players on the pitch and all are vital for the team. Everyone has his job and they all have to do them well for the team to succeed. The midfield often has more impact on the game but that does not mean that you should not care about defenders. I though yesterday that our midfield was great for most of the match, but Liverpool were on top because our back 4 were terrible and we were practically playing without a striker.

Luiz is not responsible for the distribution alone, in fact he hardly did any of that yesterday; only one of his many long balls found it's target and his passing accuracy was somewhere in the 70s% which is just awful for a defender. Mikel was doing all the distribution. And Liverpool didn't dominate the game, they dominated exactly 7 minutes at the start of the second half. They hardly managed to create anything outside that period.

Finally, we are focusing on Luiz simply because this is his thread. The other players performances are discussed in their respective threads.

We depend on him because he is part of the new spine for the team just like Cech-Terry-Lamps-Drogba were for the past 8 seasons. He is vital part of our team and hope fully will be in the future. His performance naturally has an effect on the team.

What do you mean "mere defender"? There are 11 players on the pitch and all are vital for the team. Everyone has his job and they all have to do them well for the team to succeed. The midfield often has more impact on the game but that does not mean that you should not care about defenders. I though yesterday that our midfield was great for most of the match, but Liverpool were on top because our back 4 were terrible and we were practically playing without a striker.

Luiz is not responsible for the distribution alone, in fact he hardly did any of that yesterday; only one of his many long balls found it's target and his passing accuracy was somewhere in the 70s% which is just awful for a defender. Mikel was doing all the distribution. And Liverpool didn't dominate the game, they dominated exactly 7 minutes at the start of the second half. They hardly managed to create anything outside that period.

Finally, we are focusing on Luiz simply because this is his thread. The other players performances are discussed in their respective threads.

Not disagree much, just going to address the "mere defender" bit. A defender will NOT be involved in the play most of the time because he must position himself behind the line of play, where the ball is. The midfielders, on the other hand will be looking into being always involved in the play.

Right, and we were completely destroyed once Benitez replaced our best players leaving Torres there. It wasn't a coincidence Liverpool created many chances after that. A more composed defender like Terry would've helped, especially then, but our coach did not think so. However, I still don't think our midfield should've crumbled the way it did.

Right, but this thread gets more attention than it deserves, however interesting a player and character David may be.

Not disagree much, just going to address the "mere defender" bit. A defender will NOT be involved in the play most of the time because he must position himself behind the line of play, where the ball is. The midfielders, on the other hand will be looking into being always involved in the play.

Right, and we were completely destroyed once Benitez replaced our best players leaving Torres there. It wasn't a coincidence Liverpool created many chances after that. A more composed defender like Terry would've helped, especially then, but our coach did not think so. However, I still don't think our midfield should've crumbled the way it did.

Right, but this thread gets more attention than it deserves, however interesting a player and character David may be.

And this is the key point. Teams defend TOGETHER and our double pivot has been weak for most of the season.

But some people are blind to any criticism of certain players when the priority should be what makes the team better.

Can't argue with you about the subs, no idea what he was thinking..

And this is the key point. Teams defend TOGETHER and our double pivot has been weak for most of the season.

But some people are blind to any criticism of certain players when the priority should be what makes the team better.

Completely agreed and our maestros don't get a free pass either.

like I said before I think Mikel isn't good enough for that position (not quick enough and not aggressive enough), but Mata and Hazard are poor markers. Oscar shows good teamwork, but isn't a proper CM...it's his first season after all. And Ramires has been playing twice a week with no cover...

lol

you do love the double pivot talk.