FIFA Club World Cup

As it's in the middle of the season, winning it would boost morale, reignite the winning mentality and it would help us psychologically in the tough winter period where we usually hit a bad moment. But as a con it will make us play more games, thus having greater risk of injury and fatigue. Nevertheless, trophies are there to win them and it's a pretty unique trophy at that... only a select few can boast it - first you have to be champions of Europe, then you must beat champions of other continents too. How often do we get the chance to market our brand internationally? Only in pre-seasons in meaningless tours. Being the rightful owner of a worldwide club competition would boost our brand value and extend our trophy cabinet.

When we enter the competition, we must think of it as an extension to the champions league, and that we beat the likes of Bayern and Barcelona on the way to get it.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barca have won it a couple of times i think and Pep even cried when he won it last time so it means a lot to even them, they whipped Santos 4-0 and put out their strongest possible team. I'd worry about a skilful young Brazilian team against us with our slowish midfield duo if Lamps and Mikel but we could be strong enough physically. We'll need to obviously sign a couple of quality players and i really hope we win it.

I'd rather win this than win the League or UCL next season because it's so rare to be in this tournament, it may never happen again, thbis is like the best of the best. To see JT, Ash, Cech and Lamps win the Super Cup and Club World Cup, it would be the Cherry on the icing of a wonderful cake. To me, this is massive. Just a shame it's in that period of the season where we are usually hopeless. It could also set us up for an unbelievable season.

After coming 6th in the league, words can't describe how big it was winning that UCL trophy. It still feels mad how we managed to pull it off. Now lets finish the job in Japan. Wonder if anyone from here will go? It's a horrible journey so i can't see it lol.

Can't wait for this!

Only two games we have to win in the competition.

Ill be rooting for Auckland too though. (they won't get far, but I feel i should support this tiny club in a massive competition)

I will be rooting for Auckland City too. Massive underdogs. Most players of Auckland City have day jobs & play footie for fun ;) When I was in Auckland, most of the normal Kiwis never heard of the club :o What is this, their 3rd time making it to Mundial de Clubes (sounds better in Espanol)

Chelsea - Champions of the world. Has a nice ring to it that does.

I like World Champs better ;)

I will be rooting for Auckland City too. Massive underdogs. Most players of Auckland City have day jobs & play footie for fun ;) When I was in Auckland, most of the normal Kiwis never heard of the club :o What is this, their 3rd time making it to Mundial de Clubes (sounds better in Espanol)

Haha yup, no paid football athletes here.

Go to a game and there'll be 3000people watching. MAX!!

3 more times than Chelsea, must mean Auckland is better than them :P

I'd rather win this than win the League or UCL next season because it's so rare to be in this tournament, it may never happen again, thbis is like the best of the best.

Not sure I share the same view with you there. The league and the champions league > everything else. The prestige and monetary gain of those competitions are superior to the few cup games we'll be playing against 2nd string teams. But to be realistic, we can't expect to bump from 6th to 1st so quickly in the league, and it's extremely rare to successfully defend the champions league title, especially in the manner which we won it - it won't happen again next season unless we considerably strengthen all our areas and eliminate the element of luck as much as possible. So in that sense, in a transitional period, I would be happiest with this title and wouldn't mind a carling or a FA to accompany it. But if I were given a choice between (champions) league and this, I would choose one of the leagues in a heartbeat.

• 3 weeks later...

Barca have won it a couple of times i think and Pep even cried when he won it last time so it means a lot to even them, they whipped Santos 4-0 and put out their strongest possible team. I'd worry about a skilful young Brazilian team against us with our slowish midfield duo if Lamps and Mikel but we could be strong enough physically. We'll need to obviously sign a couple of quality players and i really hope we win it.

I'd rather win this than win the League or UCL next season because it's so rare to be in this tournament, it may never happen again, thbis is like the best of the best. To see JT, Ash, Cech and Lamps win the Super Cup and Club World Cup, it would be the Cherry on the icing of a wonderful cake. To me, this is massive. Just a shame it's in that period of the season where we are usually hopeless. It could also set us up for an unbelievable season.

After coming 6th in the league, words can't describe how big it was winning that UCL trophy. It still feels mad how we managed to pull it off. Now lets finish the job in Japan. Wonder if anyone from here will go? It's a horrible journey so i can't see it lol.

Come one, we will win UCL again in next years. lol

You dont have to worry about skillful young Brazilian teams, actually both brazilian teams that won it (Internacional and São Paulo) were strong in the defence and full of experienced players.

Thats why I would worry about Corinthians, not only because is one team a hate, but they have a really strong defence: they are going to secong leg in Libertadores semi-finals, and conceded only 2 goals. So I hope Boca Juniors or La U win it, because we know Chelsea have trouble when we face teams with strong defence, like Stoke or Sunderland. Corinthians are also lethal in counter attacks.

The players also should play with the same spirit they did in UCL, if they play like that we will win against any south american or mexican side. If the players behave like we are in another friendly match, then we will be in trouble.

Come one, we will win UCL again in next years. lol

You dont have to worry about skillful young Brazilian teams, actually both brazilian teams that won it (Internacional and São Paulo) were strong in the defence and full of experienced players.

Thats why I would worry about Corinthians, not only because is one team a hate, but they have a really strong defence: they are going to secong leg in Libertadores semi-finals, and conceded only 2 goals. So I hope Boca Juniors or La U win it, because we know Chelsea have trouble when we face teams with strong defence, like Stoke or Sunderland. Corinthians are also lethal in counter attacks.

The players also should play with the same spirit they did in UCL, if they play like that we will win against any south american or mexican side. If the players behave like we are in another friendly match, then we will be in trouble.

Under no circumstances should this tournment be treated as a friendly, Its a chance to call ourselves the best in the world.

I just hope we take this competition seriously, i think there was a team what won the Champions League and never took it seriously and lost. I think Barcelona did it, or have they won it twice?.

they won it twice, but lost the first time they played in it. i think 2006 it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, its going to be Corinthians, sadly it seems I'm the only Chelsea supporter watching the match, I hope RDM is watching it, because there is no club in the world that I hate more than Corinthians.

They have a strong defensive system, killer counter attack, probably the team with the best tactical system in south america. Tough guys, did not lost one single match in the whole tournament, and conceded only 3 goals.

Well, its going to be Corinthians

You're damn skippy!!! 5 years ago Timão were relegated today Champs of South America!! Oh yea, I watched the match & cheered like hell for both goals!!! Now I won't have to hear from any punk from São Paulo that Timão never won a Libertadores ;) Just curious Henrique will you be rooting for Sonnen,? Spyda Silva is a Timão fan & Sonnen now supports Palmeiras as he hates everything associated w/ Spyda Silva ;)

You're damn skippy!!! 5 years ago Timão were relegated today Champs of South America!! Oh yea, I watched the match & cheered like hell for both goals!!! Now I won't have to hear from any punk from São Paulo that Timão never won a Libertadores ;) Just curious Henrique will you be rooting for Sonnen,? Spyda Silva is a Timão fan & Sonnen now supports Palmeiras as he hates everything associated w/ Spyda Silva ;)

I dont like Spider, but I dont like UFC, too much blood for me. lol