Roman Abramovich Thread

What this whole process is showing everyone yet again is that there are not really any “good” multibillionaires. Or at least very few. Everyone we’ve been linked to so far has something sketchy about them. I guess it’s just how you have to be to achieve that sort of success. 

Whoever buys us will have at least some sort of unsavory thing about them. 

On 15/03/2022 at 14:34, Vytis33 said:

Roman is selling his club and not taking a penny of profits that's already been decided.  In the interim how does making travel logistics harder for players/staff help anyone in the Ukraine exactly?  Or telling employees at the Megastore their jobs aren't needed at the moment.  Etc etc.  These punishments are all nonsensical honestly. 

This is going to be a multi-billion dollar transaction and the process just got started a few weeks ago.  What's the harm in letting things operate as usual while this is resolved?  And it will be resolved.  But no let's just make things more difficult on a bunch of people who had zero involvement in any of this. 

Somebody somewhere is showing their true colours. So much for the bollocks that the aim of the sanctions was to target Roman alone, not the club or fans. It won't have escaped the government's notice that, apart from Chelsea fans, the witch hunt is playing very well with the public.

On 15/03/2022 at 14:44, Clockwork said:

So who is getting paid when Chelsea are sold? The government? Who’s pocket is that going to?

Unless I'm misremembering this, Roman is challenging the decision to sanction him in the first place. That means the government would have to keep the proceeds of the sale available to be returned to him should he win.

On 15/03/2022 at 16:17, lVendemiale said:

Hi everybody guys. It’s Lorenzo Vendemiale, a journalist from RAI, italian public television.

We are working on a story about the consequences of the war in Ukraine in sports and we will talk about Chelsea FC. We will talk about what your club is going through, what the government decided about Abramovich and how this is questioning the present and the future of the club.

We’re preparing a trip to London for one of Chelsea's upcoming games at Stamford Bridge. We would like to film the whole match day experience, lived with the Chelsea fans, at the entrance and exit of the stadium, to witness the atmosphere, feelings and opinions about what is happening. We are looking for a group of fans to organize our visit with, that's why I am posting on this forum. Who can I turn to? Is there anyone who can help me?

Thank you all guys

Lorenzo, I have forwarded your request to someone who would be an excellent contributor to your piece. I will reply again if that person is interested.

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

We have interest from over 20 sides. This never happened with any other club even for 5-10 times less money. We are top brand and we should be proud.

No doubt part of the rush is that people are smelling the blood of a forced sale and a potentially good deal for themselves.

2 hours ago, Pizy said:

Whoever it ends up being, the first order of business needs to be ensuring Tuchel is happy and making him feel like the ambition to compete at the very top remains. He should be offered a fresh contract to stave off any sharks that may be circling and give him his top targets this summer.

Yep, sort term priority A1.

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

I dont see why. He is Republican like half US. There is not wrong or right there. Like supporting Real or Barca. Just personal preference.

Forgive me Nikki, and please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but you don't seem particularly well informed about the present state of the Republican party. The most popular members of the party are fascists, religious nationalists, and truth deniers who have given up on democracy. The party does not even pretend to have policies anymore. It literally publishes no policy positions and instead will simply lie to its base with the aim of making them fearful and angry toward whoever the party want them to hate.

The most popular broadcaster among Republicans is pro Putin, pro Orban, pro Modi and, of course, pro Trump. Fascists one and all as, plainly, is he. When sued for inaccuracies his lawyers successfully defended him by pleading that no reasonable person would believe what he says during his show and the judge accepted that plea. Nevertheless, tens of millions of Americans do believe him, and only him.

Further, Republicans are fewer than 50% of the US population. This is why they have given up on democracy. They know that if the don't cheat, and they do cheat massively, they can't win. Even then, they can only win the presidency because of the electoral collage. There is no hope of any republican winning the popular vote in a presidential election. Fascists, actual neo-Nazi's and white supremacists would once have been booted out of the GOP, now they are its stars.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Forgive me Nikki, and please correct me if I'm wrong about this, but you don't seem particularly well informed about the present state of the Republican party. The most popular members of the party are fascists, religious nationalists, and truth deniers who have given up on democracy. The party does not even pretend to have policies anymore. If literally publishes no policy positions and instead will simply lie to it its base with the aim of making them fearful and angry toward whoever the party want them to hate. The most popular broadcaster among Republicans is pro Putin.

Lastly Republicans are fewer than 50 of the US population. This is why they have given up on democracy. They know that if the don't cheat, they can't win. Even then, they can only win the presidency because of the electoral collage. There is no hope of any republican winning the popular vote. Fascists, actual neo-Nazi's and white supremacists would once have been booted out of the GOP, now they are its stars.

Not really, but in the grassroots they are that way - like the Tories, una faccia una razza.

3 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Most of this people should know that we are not making money. 

We have always depend on Roman. They should be aware of that. 

This is factually accurate but Roman is largely to blame with his scatter gun transfer policy and £250m bill for sacking managers and their staffs. A more prudent approach can see Chelsea break even and remain competitive, That's even true, in the short term, without the stadium rebuild. In the medium term the rebuild is essential of course .

8 minutes ago, Fernando said:

Most of this people should know that we are not making money. 

We have always depend on Roman. They should be aware of that. 

The idea of having rich managers is precisely because clubs do not break even.
The club is supposed to act as an advertisement for the rich guy so he gives money to the club. This has been the case with all I remember.
Otherwise a bunch of local co op girls could run the football clubs.

There’s is genuinely a ton of interest in buying the club. Like, there seems to be a frenzy.

For that reason I’m actually surprised that there isn’t some lone tech billionaire who wants a shiny new vanity project. It’s all consortiums. Someone like Steve Balmer (former Microsoft guy) who recently bought the LA Clippers for $2.5B seems like the sort of guy who would be interested.