Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Roman Abramovich Thread

Skysport saying is Chemical weapon.....

Roman Abramovich: Chelsea owner 'suffered symptoms of suspected chemical weapons poisoning' after talks in Kyiv

Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is 'fine', Sky Sports News understands; Abramovich and Ukrainian peace negotiators reportedly suffered symptoms including "piercing pain in the eyes", but the dosage and type of toxin was likely insufficient to cause life-threatening damage

• Shocked 2
  • Sad 2

this is what Putin does, trying to eliminate anyone or anything that stands in his way, fucking coward.

• Like 3

ffs, this cannot be happening, arrrrrfffff

The Athletic: Group handling Chelsea sale want to sell them to unpopular party (the Ricketts)

https://www.Chelsea-news.co/2022/03/athletic-group-handling-Chelsea-sale-want-to-sell-them-to-unpopular-party/

As we now sit here impatiently waiting for yet another deadline before even being close to finding out who the new owners of Chelsea FC will be, more gloomy news comes out about one of the parties.

Chelsea fans have been making themselves heard in recent weeks on social media, putting their options across on all parties bidding on the club.

But there has been one party who have largely been very unpopular amongst the Chelsea fan base for many reasons, The Ricketts Family.

However, despite this, Raine Group, the ones handling the sale of the club, want to sell to The Ricketts Family, according to The Athletic today.

The report believes that the Ricketts family ticks every box: they are rich, they are backed by somebody in Ken Griffin who is even richer, they have experience of running a big sports team from a major city, they have developed that team’s historic home and created an entertainment district adjacent to the stadium, and they have enjoyed sporting success.

Luckily though, the decision does not solely rest with Raine Group, and we can remain hopeful that the others read the room here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vesper said:

they have enjoyed sporting success

erm............5 years removed from winning the world Series in 2016:

e724789ed7cb1ea98cf11d1e0f9c77ee.png

2nd to dead last in their division

The success in American sports is so difficult to corelate and compare to success in football.

I like the way in which it is structured to try and help worse teams rebuild to challenge through the draft system, etc. I don't follow baseball but I do watch NFL and although there will be teams regularly challenging for a sustained period of time, there has been in recent years a number of teams come from seemingly nowhere to the championship game or even the superbowl (e.g. the Bengals). 

The one thing though American sports does afford, or possibly even encourage, is getting a team that might be struggling to tank and rebuild for a couple of years before coming back again. My NFL team is the New Orleans Saints and you get the feeling that our window of opportunity for another Superbowl left over the last year or two with Drew Brees retiring and Sean Payton leaving. However we're not a team that is likely to only get 2 or 3 wins during the season as the squad is still competitive so we could end up as a middling team which in American sports can at times seem to be the worst position to get caught into unless you hit gold with some later draft picks or pay through the nose in free agency.

This just does not apply to football. You only have to see examples such as Arsenal and United (and earlier than this Liverpool) that when teams lose their competitive edge and drop off, it's extremely difficult to rise back again. Whomever becomes the new owner will be inheriting a very strong, competitive squad with a top manager. We may be one or two pieces away but I don't think we're a million miles away from Liverpool and City and we have a much younger core of players than both of them do. But what we do also have that runs throughout the club, from academy to womens to mens is a winning mentality and the experience of winning trophies. So long as that can be retained we'll remain in the hunt. As soon as you lose that it's trouble. Other clubs have experienced it and sport is cyclical by nature. I just hope the new owners embrace the culture around the club to look to maintain it's position challenging for and winning trophies. You don't necessarily need the deepest pockets for this - just a clear strategy and intelligent recruitment.

• Like 2

Even as an American, baseball is a sport I don’t follow closely at all. But what I do know is that the Cubs basically had everything come together during a magical run during that 2016 season. They had a team full of young star players who they developed themselves and they had the best GM (sporting director equivalent) who helped them build through scouting and analytics.

Then, from what I understand, after they won it all and broke their 100+ year title drought the Rickett’s family hasn’t spent the necessary money to keep the team competitive since and have sold off all those star talents. Now the Cubs are back to irrelevance and their fans really dislike the owners.

As I’ve said before, I think a Ricketts owned Chelsea closely resembles Arsenal under Kroenke this past decade. Spending frugally and only doing so once there’s major fan outrage. Doing just enough to keep us competitive near the top but not spending what’s needed to get us where we want to be which is fighting for titles.

Plus on top of the shitty on-pitch stuff I’ve mentioned, you have the family’s Trump/right wing connections. Of those we know are shortlisted this would be the worst easily.

• Like 4

here is one of Governor Pete Ricketts' biggest supporters in the Nebraska Senate

this is the type of madness that family supports

53 minutes ago, Vesper said:

here is one of Governor Pete Ricketts' biggest supporters in the Nebraska Senate

this is the type of madness that family supports

What the hell has happened to Americans? The place is a mad house.

Only thing to be said for Gov. Ricketts is that he wasn't the one displaying the stunning credulity to believe such drivel. I hope he at least had the sense to disavow this nonsense.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

You also have Will Smith assaulting a man at the Oscars and everything is fine and dandy. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Only thing to be said for Gov. Ricketts is that he wasn't the one displaying the stunning credulity to believe such drivel. I hope he at least had the sense to disavow this nonsense.

Gov Pete's motto:

Just Say No😿

6b0d1e7d769ad36ba1dc462c206e5dff.jpg

Edited by Vesper

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

This country has allowed Fox News and Facebook to spread propaganda and lies with ZERO consequence for years. Then Trump came along and showed all the worst people that they no longer have to hide or mask their disgusting beliefs and behavior. You can just be openly toxic/racist/regressive etc and it’s okay.

And the likes of the Ricketts family & Ken Griffin support those very people financially. 🤢🤢🤢

• Like 3

Theres a report from The Times claiming that Bruce Buck has organised a meeting with Tom Ricketts and Paul Canoville. If so, is that not a breach and conflict of interest?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, chelsea_4_eva said:

Theres a report from The Times claiming that Bruce Buck has organised a meeting with Tom Ricketts and Paul Canoville. If so, is that not a breach and conflict of interest?

they already met

and now Canoville is saying he is feeling better about the Ricketts clan, ffs

Paul Canoville is 'reassured' by Tom Ricketts after one-hour meeting with Chelsea bidder following his patriarch Joe's apology for calling Muslims 'my enemy'... as Blues' first black player insists it's 'critical that the club is sold to the right person'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10665665/Paul-Canoville-reassured-Tom-Ricketts-one-hour-meeting-Chelsea-bidder.html

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, chelsea_4_eva said:

15 minutes ago, Vesper said:

they already met

Paul Canoville is 'reassured' by Tom Ricketts after one-hour meeting with Chelsea bidder following his patriarch Joe's apology for calling Muslims 'my enemy'... as Blues' first black player insists it's 'critical that the club is sold to the right person'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10665665/Paul-Canoville-reassured-Tom-Ricketts-one-hour-meeting-Chelsea-bidder.html

If you carry on reading, it says they are also speaking with the other bidders. 

Far, far too much baggage with the Rickets bid in fear of fan outcry. Everything points towards Boehly. 

Rickets - A skeletal disorder that results in soft and weak bones

A disease for which urgent medical attention is usually recommended by healthcare providers

Leads to infections, trauma, scurvy with triggered periostitis—resulting in chronic swelling and pain.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Vesper said:

Apparently he didnt even meet them. 

Edited by MoroccanBlue

13 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

Apparently he didnt even meet them. 

Conoville is not a man who has ever impressed me. I don't regard him as qualified to offer an opinion.

• Like 1