The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

6 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

It will come into play in 2024 and I would think there will be more changes proppsed prior to that. I mean I get the bigger leagues having more slots maybe but why should 4th place in a PL warrant an automatic qualification spot ahead of actual league champions in some countries!? 

Yes, also after 3rd UEFA competition start next season just clubs from 15 best ranked countries will play in Europa League. So this is bad for +30 European countries.

Statement has just come in from the club. "As reported earlier this evening..."

@Jason must have checked our conversation first I guess?!

Pretty poor effort to be honest. The "Having joined late last week" has been spun out already and seems to be an attempt to try and wash our hands of the set up of this (which I still think us and City will be forgiven much easier than the others).

I'd like to hope something a bit more detailed is released tomorrow which is less formal and a genuine apology to our fanbase and the wider football community. I said it earlier, to be fair to Arsenal, they're the only ones currently to really apologise properly.

As reported earlier this evening, Chelsea Football Club can confirm that it has begun the formal procedures for withdrawal from the group developing plans for a European Super League.

Having joined the group late last week, we have now had time to consider the matter fully and have decided that our continued participation in these plans would not be in the best interests of the Club, our supporters or the wider football community.

4 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Statement has just come in from the club. "As reported earlier this evening..."

@Jason must have checked our conversation first I guess?!

Pretty poor effort to be honest. The "Having joined late last week" has been spun out already and seems to be an attempt to try and wash our hands of the set up of this (which I still think us and City will be forgiven much easier than the others).

I'd like to hope something a bit more detailed is released tomorrow which is less formal and a genuine apology to our fanbase and the wider football community. I said it earlier, to be fair to Arsenal, they're the only ones currently to really apologise properly.

Just saw the statement. It’s pathetic!

Didn’t even acknowledge the mistake and didn’t even fucking apologize! 

And they only considered the matter fully after joining the ESL? Like WTF?!?!

Just now, Jason said:

Just saw the statement. It’s pathetic!

Didn’t even acknowledge the mistake and didn’t even fucking apologize! 

And they only considered the matter fully after joining the ESL? Like WTF?!?!

On one hand they're statement is no different to everyone else's besides Arsenal's and as I've mentioned before, I think us and City have leaked/briefed the press pretty well the last couple of days to try and navigate this mess and exonerate our involvements as best as humanly possible.

But I'd love the club to just own the mistake and make a proper apology. Maybe there's something to come tomorrow, it's incredibly late and maybe they felt they just needed something put out there. Ultimately though the feeling is somebody needs to be held accountable within the club for this...and it won't be Roman!

For me personally, the statement is enough. Just want to move on from this sorry shambles.

Having said that, I do now genuinely think the time is now right for Roman to sell up. We're stagnating or even going backwards as a club now and I cannot see us ever seriously challenging for the title again with Roman in charge. Just making  more wrong decisions than right ones these days, with his team making far too many crap signings and managers who are not up to it for one reason or another. Also the collapse of the new stadium and his problems with our government. 

Would be forever grateful for everything he's done for our club, but nothing lasts forever and now is as good a time as any for a fresh start for our club.

3 hours ago, chippy said:

For me personally, the statement is enough. Just want to move on from this sorry shambles.

Having said that, I do now genuinely think the time is now right for Roman to sell up. We're stagnating or even going backwards as a club now and I cannot see us ever seriously challenging for the title again with Roman in charge. Just making  more wrong decisions than right ones these days, with his team making far too many crap signings and managers who are not up to it for one reason or another. Also the collapse of the new stadium and his problems with our government. 

Would be forever grateful for everything he's done for our club, but nothing lasts forever and now is as good a time as any for a fresh start for our club.

Be careful what you wish for. Just look at Arsenal. That's all I'm going to say.

6 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

On one hand they're statement is no different to everyone else's besides Arsenal's and as I've mentioned before, I think us and City have leaked/briefed the press pretty well the last couple of days to try and navigate this mess and exonerate our involvements as best as humanly possible.

But I'd love the club to just own the mistake and make a proper apology. Maybe there's something to come tomorrow, it's incredibly late and maybe they felt they just needed something put out there. Ultimately though the feeling is somebody needs to be held accountable within the club for this...and it won't be Roman!

C'mon now, stop trying to give the club an excuse for such a pathetic statement. They had hours to come out with a decent statement and they couldn't even have the decency to acknowledge the mistake and apologize.

2 hours ago, DDA said:

Be careful what you wish for. Just look at Arsenal. That's all I'm going to say.

Exactly. Compared to the owners of the other big clubs out there, Roman is generally better than most, if not all. 

13 hours ago, manpe said:

I don't think the Super League is going to happen, at least not in the currently proposed form. Far too much pressure against it for it to go through imo.

Called it 😎

21 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Agnelli even admitted now what we all know. SL is dead. The aftermarth will be brutal tho. Perez surely will want to refinance Real's debt with breach of contract fines from the english clubs.

They knew that this would happen. Even Perez I assumed. The question is why go ahead and do it? 

I still think something is fishy. They might be doing away with some money. As one reporter put it:

What happens with the billions of pounds in start-up money put forward by American bankers JP Morgan is anyone's guess.

Edited by Fernando

1 minute ago, Fernando said:

They knew that this would happen. Even Perez I assumed. The question is why go ahead and si it? 

I still think something is fishy. They might be doing away with some money. As one reporter put it:

What happens with the billions of pounds in start-up money put forward by American bankers JP Morgan is anyone's guess.

JPM will keep their money, i think they only pledged it to the clubs once they played one season.

apparently Atletico and Inter have pulled out now too. This is interesting. If there was a fine, why would they pull out now since they already know SL is not gonna happen? They could have just stayed in adn then bel ike "oh too bad" and nothing would happen to them. But apparently the little bit of fan rage they would face is harder on them than a potential fee. So maybe there is none in the end?

20 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

JPM will keep their money, i think they only pledged it to the clubs once they played one season.

apparently Atletico and Inter have pulled out now too. This is interesting. If there was a fine, why would they pull out now since they already know SL is not gonna happen? They could have just stayed in adn then bel ike "oh too bad" and nothing would happen to them. But apparently the little bit of fan rage they would face is harder on them than a potential fee. So maybe there is none in the end?

Let's hope there is no fine and Real Madrid are not keeping no money. Because the timing of it all is so weird. They did it because they had a deadline and had to do it now. 

All this is so weird to be honest, and let's hope Real Madrid does not come benefiting by getting some type of compensation. 

Edited by Fernando