The European Leagues & Competitions Thread V2

CHOULO19

Still has to be repercussions for the clubs. Be it heavy fines or whatever. And also internally the clubs need to sort their shit out. 

Cant kick us out of competitions now this season which is good but I wouldn’t be surprised if they still pushed to try ban all 12 teams in next seasons CL. Or do something to send a message.

Plus there will inevitably be money exchanged to get out this super league. Theres no way a 23 year commitment agreement that is “legally binding” can just be walked out of After a change of heart. 

I must say fair play to Arsenal. They're mostly a complete shit-show nowadays but their statement is actually excellent and very apologetic. I'd like to hope what we do end up officially announcing is of a similar sentiment.

Spurs though, Levy has expressed regret but no form of apology and basically just a statement trying to justify themselves. 

Never mind the fact that the Super League idea was trash to begin with. They can't even market it right.

They announced the god damn thing close to midnight on Sunday, then you have Perez giving that interview again close to midnight on Monday and now, you have everyone pulling out close to midnight on Tuesday!

WHAT A FUCKING SHITSHOW!

1 minute ago, OneMoSalah said:

Still has to be repercussions for the clubs. Be it heavy fines or whatever. And also internally the clubs need to sort their shit out. 

Cant kick us out of competitions now this season which is good but I wouldn’t be surprised if they still pushed to try ban all 12 teams in next seasons CL. Or do something to send a message.

Plus there will inevitably be money exchanged to get out this super league. Theres no way a 23 year commitment agreement that is “legally binding” can just be walked out of After a change of heart. 

More information will follow but legally binding has come from Perez's interview yesterday. There's lots of speculation it was a letter of intention. I'm sure we'll see in due course.

If there are financial repercussions then it teaches a lesson. 

I'd be very surprised though if there are European bans. UEFA would secretly probably love to make an example, but they will not want to water down their premier competition to that degree next season. At the end of the day that's the whole reason this has kicked off in the first place! 

I think the biggest punishments will come politically from UEFA. PSG and Bayern will be the big dogs now in terms of positions of power and quite frankly rightly so. 

26 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

We always take forever to announce anything. 

If the club are that bothered about the timing they can word it as "As reported earlier this evening..." or "Earlier today we...".

I think it's been made clear though throughout the last couple of days and today that City and Chelsea have made a mistake following everyone else into this and been planning to remove themselves since. Not that this exonerates either from blame, but it's pretty clear who the drivers of this were.

If they are taking ages with the statement, then they better explain why they made the decision in the first place and apologize for causing this bloody chaos!

Just now, Jason said:

The hilarious thing now is the reformed Champions League is not any better than the Super League either. It still seeks to protect the interest of the big clubs. 

Honestly the Champions League in its current format is fine. The way it's now ranked in terms of league champions being pooled in pot 1 is fairer than it used to be and helps throw up some more exciting groups (some poor ones too though). 

This one big league sounds rubbish, especially when you don't play everyone in it - how is that expected to work for fairness and integrity?

It sounds worse than the format when we first played in 99/00 when you had to get through two group stages to reach the knockouts!

The only other viable option in my opinion would be a full league format, say 10 teams in each league and you could have 4, 5, 6, 10 leagues that could be worked up and down. I actually though initially this may be the type of format these breakaway teams may look to do but obviously not! I don't really see an issue with the current Champions League format though, I think the mix of groups then knockouts is good.

11 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

More information will follow but legally binding has come from Perez's interview yesterday. There's lots of speculation it was a letter of intention. I'm sure we'll see in due course.

If there are financial repercussions then it teaches a lesson. 

I'd be very surprised though if there are European bans. UEFA would secretly probably love to make an example, but they will not want to water down their premier competition to that degree next season. At the end of the day that's the whole reason this has kicked off in the first place! 

I think the biggest punishments will come politically from UEFA. PSG and Bayern will be the big dogs now in terms of positions of power and quite frankly rightly so. 

Lot of rumours of a god knows pages long document. Graeme Souness mentioned it on sky also IIRC.

And also the process to get this off the ground and in motion would have required more than a letter of intent you’d think? Who knows, anyway if we get out unscathed and it buries this super league shit once and for all its all that matters. 

Now just to reform the CL in a way that also does the clubs who win leagues in Scotland, Holland, Austria etc a favour should be the next step. Hopefully this can be the kick start of UEFA trying to make amends and reintroduce these clubs to the fold in these roles, big clubs like Ajax, Celtic, Rangers historically speaking, have had to go through 3/4 rounds of qualification to get into the CL despite winning their domestic trophies. All it would take is for them to give the top leagues champions and maybe 2 other places CL spots. This guarantees for big clubs who finish 4th in England, Spain, Germany, Italy or whatever is a bit of a joke also whilst we are being completely honest and transparent about making football fair for others. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

3 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

And also the process to get this off the ground and in motion would have required more than a letter of intent you’d think? Who knows, anyway if we get out unscathed and it buries this super league shit once and for all its all that matters. 

Perhaps but that may have been enough as a collective to announce this plan.

The league always seemed at least a couple of seasons away (I think an exit was likely planned at the point of the Champions League reforms), so its possible that such legal bindings would have come in at a later date.

Either way, the fact everyone seems to be bailing out now on it will probably help any potential legal matters should there be any.

11 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Honestly the Champions League in its current format is fine. The way it's now ranked in terms of league champions being pooled in pot 1 is fairer than it used to be and helps throw up some more exciting groups (some poor ones too though). 

This one big league sounds rubbish, especially when you don't play everyone in it - how is that expected to work for fairness and integrity?

It sounds worse than the format when we first played in 99/00 when you had to get through two group stages to reach the knockouts!

The only other viable option in my opinion would be a full league format, say 10 teams in each league and you could have 4, 5, 6, 10 leagues that could be worked up and down. I actually though initially this may be the type of format these breakaway teams may look to do but obviously not! I don't really see an issue with the current Champions League format though, I think the mix of groups then knockouts is good.

But there's a new format coming and look at that second point...

Who knows what happened behind closed doors? Ceferin is godfather to Agnelli daughter. Maybe they are all playing the game. Even Perez sounded like that last night we he said we will speak with UEFA.

And today this news. UEFA increases the budget dramatically so clubs get what they wanted from the start. It is all the game and this played major part not fans protesting. Also it is interesting how fans are much more angry in England. Very quiet in Spain and Italy.

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

But there's a new format coming and look at that second point...

Yep, like I said before, one league of 36 teams so you won't even play everybody. How is that remotely fair? If you're competing against teams in a league format you have to play everybody in it for fairness.

And I saw point 2 the other day. That was UEFA's pathetic attempt to pander to these elite clubs. Like has been argued over the last couple of days everything should be achieved on merit. I hope they retract that one.

7 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Who knows what happened behind closed doors? Ceferin is godfather to Agnelli daughter. Maybe they are all playing the game. Even Perez sounded like that last night we he said we will speak with UEFA.

And today this news. UEFA increases the budget dramatically so clubs get what they wanted from the start. It is all the game and this played major part not fans protesting. Also it is interesting how fans are much more angry in England. Very quiet in Spain and Italy.

I agree something does not sit well with all this. The way it came out is so suspicious. 

Privileged always want more privilege. Take @Jason for example. He as a admin made himself invincible and we cannot see when was he last time online. We regular hard working people cannot do this. Match thread for WH still not open, cannot vote for MOTM anymore. Surely worth protesting? 🤣

23 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Ceferin has called Agnelli everything under the sun in the last 2/3 days, I think that bridge is burned. Rumours are he is also considering resigning from Juventus heavily after this.

Tbf if Juventus come out of the super league, if they want their say to be heard now they may need to remove that gobshite from his position and appoint someone else. Same with all these clubs. These guys are effectively tainted now. Woodward is the first to go, Agnelli could be next, dont rule out changes in the 6 PL clubs board rooms yet either.

Fans are definitely not happy in other leagues, don’t know where you heard that they are quiet from. Particularly Spain where they have always been fed up of Perez and his constant scheming and plotting. 

It is disappointing that its money orientated again but not breaking off and keeping the CL and domestic leagues is a step in the right direction. I do not like the reform though again it gives more assurances and opportunities to bigger clubs, the fact that the likes of clubs like Celtic, Rangers, Ajax, PSV etc. will undoubtedly get shafted for money is not ideal. Its again based on reputation and UEFA coefficient. I don’t believe anyone who doesnt finish in the top slots to qualify for the CL in all the corresponding leagues should have to risk missing out because Arsenal and Spurs had bad seasons. Or Roma or whoever: Or clubs like Celtic in the past had to play 3/4 rounds of qualification despite winning the league trophy. It will come into play in 2024 and I would think there will be more changes proppsed prior to that. I mean I get the bigger leagues having more slots maybe but why should 4th place in a PL warrant an automatic qualification spot ahead of actual league champions in some countries!? Why not make 4th place teams play off against other teams who are in qualification places in other leagues prior? Your still going to have the spectacle of big games but your also going to manage to fairly include some of these clubs who are winners and get fucked over so 4/5th place teams can get in for nothing.

Edited by OneMoSalah

2 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Privileged always want more privilege. Take @Jason for example. He as a admin made himself invincible and we cannot see when was he last time online. We regular hard working people cannot do this. Match thread for WH still not open, cannot vote for MOTM anymore. Surely worth protesting? 🤣

Nobody is stopping you from forming your own Chelsea Super Forum...