Napoli 3-1 Chelsea

Steve

Man of the Match (obvious tongue-in-cheek expression...)  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who was, in your view, the best Chelsea player against Napoli??

• Petr Cech
    • Juan Mata
    • Gary Cahill
    • Branislav Ivanovic
    • David Luiz
    • Raul Meireles
    • Didier Drogba
    • Daniel Sturridge
    • Ramires
    • Jose Bosingwa
    • Florent Malouda
    • SUB - Frank Lampard
    • SUB - Ashley Cole
    • SUB - Michael Essien

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know someone will say who the fuck voted for Sturridge. Well that was me, i think he was good today, showed a lot of confidence without maybe the killer instinct but it's his best display for a while. Loved some of his skill, runs and movement. He looked good to me today.

Wasn't far off with my prediction, as expected same old story i post after pretty much every single game. we do not posses a striker who scores goals. This will cost us week in week out, probably for the rest of the season, as we rely on lampard (who never plays) sturridge RW and mata LW to score all our goals. It's embarassing.

Napoli easily could of had 6 tonight and should of, they were pretty wasteful. That said they are in a powerful position, theres no way imo they aren't scoring at the bridge. I think we are as good as out. Although I don't rate their defence though, but our attack is average at best, midfield is poor and defence is woeful at times. And the difference is finishing. They remind me of Arsenal except they had 2 van persie's to carrry their team (Cavani/Lavettzi). Lavettzi reminded me of Xavi for Barca, Cavani is a worker too. Something we don't have.

All in all we had good spells, yes. Finishing is no different to every other week. Shit. This is what happens, a quick exit from the champs league.

Oh and i know Hamsik was crap but i still don't think that makes him a poor player. Hes a very good player on his day but it was the Argies day today. He wasn't really good because he didn't need to be.

What are you talking about? do you honestly think when footballers turn 27 they suddenly go out of form? do me a favour.

Fuckin hell nvm, thought he was at the 29 range. Mixing up ages with players.

His main key is lack of consistency as well as his lack of being picked up at international level. He would be a gamble, then again he would walk into our first team.

We all keep blaming our defense+midfielder and deservedly so but our offensive 4 who were supposed to be our main threat have to carry the blame as well.

Napoli was poor in defend, and we could only create 2 chances (mata goal - defensive mistake and ramires shot - good play by ramires)

- On the left we have malouda who has lost his pace,bad at crossing,and cannot take on player one on one

- On the right we have a striker/ winger/top scorer who is pacy,selfish,dribble too much, and cannot take on player one on one

- On the center we have mata who roam around and our only main source of creativity, he looked out of idea in the end

- On the front, I have no idea what drogba contributed for the whole 90 minutes and his link-up play was just bad

Not suggesting anything, just curious, but has Mata ever played behind Torres and Drogba?

------Mata------

Torres---Drogba

I keep asking that...but after looking at Drogba's and Torres performances throughout this season, I'm pretty sure the problem with any formation is in Central Midfield. There is no-one from the center who can effectively link up with our strikers. Occasionally you will see Lampard and Malouda (when he plays there) try to link with Drogba (because they're so used to playing alongside) but that's about it.

Tbf Didier had a few moments tonight and played his part in our goal, the simple problem was that we didn't get the ball to him enough.

The problem with playing Sturridge through the middle is that it means either Malouda or Kalou must start, if Mata is to play behind the striker then it would mean having Kalou and Malouda both start, a doomsday scenario.

And the current situation is not?

That Napoli fan was just :Goober: with you all.

he was not trolling, i can assure for him. He's such a talisman with his pessimism ;)

So lets talk about the game: we could win 5-1 easily if our players had the experience... On the second leg won't be simple to score a goal, but obviously we will fight to death again.

Lavezzi owned ivanovic tonight :D

Completely disagree, Mikel in this match?, are you fucking kidding me, Mikel has no pace he would of got slaughtered in midfield, i'm actually very happy AVB never played him, trust me the amount of goals Napoli would of had with him in midfield, At least Meireles could keep up with them and pressure them a bit, Mikel would of been running after them or just stand there like he usually does, the only positive thing he would of done was sit back and sit deep infront of the front four, but it's still useless because he wouldn't of protected them.

Essien, Essien still has problems, i don't think he's fully fit yet, he hasn't got the pace, Meireles had to be picked today, i don't blame AVB for that, but perhaps Romeu could of played that was probably a mistake, and i think i would of chosen Romeu over Meireles tonight.

And by the way, a great example of Mikel tonight, would of been him in the Arsenal 5-3 defeat.

This game should have been played defensively with a defensive midfielder like Essien (who is still better than Tattoo Boy no matter what) or Mikel, so having an open attacking game made us lose the advantage of the second leg at the Bridge.

And about the 5-3, Malouda, Lampard and Terry fell short as well.