Napoli 3-1 Chelsea

Steve

Man of the Match (obvious tongue-in-cheek expression...)  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who was, in your view, the best Chelsea player against Napoli??

• Petr Cech
    • Juan Mata
    • Gary Cahill
    • Branislav Ivanovic
    • David Luiz
    • Raul Meireles
    • Didier Drogba
    • Daniel Sturridge
    • Ramires
    • Jose Bosingwa
    • Florent Malouda
    • SUB - Frank Lampard
    • SUB - Ashley Cole
    • SUB - Michael Essien

Unfortunately it's true, I see Napoli every week, and I know very well Hamsik, Lavezzi and Cavani. Don't fear of them, tomorrow will not do anything, above all Hamsik, that fears the big teams, like Chelsea. Bu sure!! Zuniga or Maggio are more dangerous than Hamsik or Lavezzi

Hahaha, can you repeat that? I just signed up to comment this, it's priceless. Lavezzi is by far one of the best players in Italy. His speed, stamina and vision are those of a world class player. I'm sure most of you who watched the game tonight will agree. And Cavani is a fucking scoring machine, how can you say he shouldn't be feared? Ask City fans for feedback. Hamsik, I do not fancy him too much, but he's still a quality midfielder. Definitely better than anything Chelsea can offer at the moment. Seriously, next time you want to give a professional opinion, don't talk about stuff you clearly have no idea about.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the commentator asks Mata, he says there was no surprise that we conceded as we are set up too offensively. Maybe this is the point of contention between the supposedly revolting players and AVB? The fact that we're too open? I remember during late Nov-Dec, we reverted to a Mourinho style of game where we shut out the opposition and still managed to score in 2's and 3's on counters. Either way, something has changed or to be more precise something has snapped

Some bullet points....

- anyone who thinks AVB is not to blame for this defeat should just look at his team selection for the answer.

- Meireles was atrocious on Saturday against a championship club yet still gets selected tonight???

- Bosingwa at LB, instead of a fit Cole???

- Maloulda starting? Couldn't for the life of me of seen that & still bewildered!

- as much as I rate Luiz, there's a defensive mistake in him every game.

- Ivanovich's worst game for the club, normally so consistent, played against a top player in his defence though.

- yet again our CF gets no service, proving again that Torres is getting a lot of unnecessary flak.

- Napoli deserve the win but I feel this tie is far from over, they have 2 very good players upfront - that's it, with the right team selection & little luck we can go through but It's difficult to see us creating enough chances on current form/tactics/formation & not conceding.

- yes AVB fucked up tonight but the players owe him, the club & the fans some big performances so its about time we saw some of it with consistency I might add.

- I still think we can get through despite tonights disappointment & if we do I'll take our chances, well if fucking Liverpool can win it whilst being lucky & shit........

Mata was playing central, there was alot of space but lack of movement from the wing players and CF which caused Mata to look like a fuckin dumbass at times. Drogba gets on my nerve when he is smiling like a fuckin bafoon after the game, like he believes we won and how he believes he played well.

I believe if we are going to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, it is imperative we have a proper holding midfielder to serve as an anchor. I would prefer/preferred Essien. I understand he is not fully fit and tuckers out around 60-70 minutes, but I would rather 60-70 minutes of him than 60-70 mins of the likes of Raul the Terrible. AVB seemed to want an open game by not selecting a DM, and he certainly got one. The game was a veritable track meet for stretches. Not exactly what you want against a team with that are proficient in the art of the counter and have a good deal of speed.

However, this was not our undoing. Once again, it was a string of individual errors that cost us dearly. The aforementioned Meireles turning tail and running from Lavezzi instead of trying to make even the slightest attempt at closing him down. Brana, oh my beloved Brana, ball watching instead of covering the run of probably the most dangerous player Napoli has. And Luiz making the error of going for the ball and ending up wrong side of Cavani, when staying goalside of the Uruguayan probably would have been the more prudent choice (though I do somewhat question Petr's thought process of plunging into the fray).

All in all, I don't view this result as catastrophic. Damaging yes, but the Napolitans have some definite defensive frailities. We have a few weeks to get our heads and our arses wired together.

I believe if we are going to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3, it is imperative we have a proper holding midfielder to serve as an anchor. I would prefer/preferred Essien. I understand he is not fully fit and tuckers out around 60-70 minutes, but I would rather 60-70 minutes of him than 60-70 mins of the likes of Raul the Terrible. AVB seemed to want an open game by not selecting a DM, and he certainly got one. The game was a veritable track meet for stretches. Not exactly what you want against a team with that are proficient in the art of the counter and have a good deal of speed.

Well said! AVB needs to realise the weakness in midfield, which is clearly Meireles at the moment!

I say this time and time again on this forum, that using him and Ramires in the same midfield just doesn't work, because they are too much of the same player.. if you add Malouda to that midfield, you have something completely lifeless! Essien or Romeu would have been a much better choice to put in the midfield, because at least by doing that, you're adding some defensive nout protecting the back four.. Essien is bulky, so he can deal with the tackles.. while Romeu can have very very good days when he plays as a DM... the boy can tackle!

Meireles and Ramires however, there just isn't enough defensive capabilities in either of them, and I know Ramires is supposed to be a box-to-box player, which means he tackles, and gets forward.. but sometimes, you need someone like Essien to help Ramires out. It's players like Essien and Ramires who are energetic and can get things started. Meireles just has no motivation whatsoever.. it's just so tiresome watching him!!

Some bullet points....

- anyone who thinks AVB is not to blame for this defeat should just look at his team selection for the answer.

- Meireles was atrocious on Saturday against a championship club yet still gets selected tonight???

- Bosingwa at LB, instead of a fit Cole???

- Maloulda starting? Couldn't for the life of me of seen that & still bewildered!

- as much as I rate Luiz, there's a defensive mistake in him every game.

- Ivanovich's worst game for the club, normally so consistent, played against a top player in his defence though.

- yet again our CF gets no service, proving again that Torres is getting a lot of unnecessary flak.

- Napoli deserve the win but I feel this tie is far from over, they have 2 very good players upfront - that's it, with the right team selection & little luck we can go through but It's difficult to see us creating enough chances on current form/tactics/formation & not conceding.

- yes AVB fucked up tonight but the players owe him, the club & the fans some big performances so its about time we saw some of it with consistency I might add.

- I still think we can get through despite tonights disappointment & if we do I'll take our chances, well if fucking Liverpool can win it whilst being lucky & shit........

Not going to happen to us this season.

AVB mentioned that we created plenty of chances, did we really do that ?

I saw only 2(Mata goal and ramires shot)

Danny Boy was creating havoc on the right flank. I do recall Side Show Bob getting a header after a corner kick that wasn't too far off the mark. The broadcast that I watch showed both teams w/ 50% of the possession @ the end of the first half. @ the end tof the match CFC did finished w/ 58% of possession. TBH, the back 3 of Napoli did appear to have some holes. CFC didn't do enough to exploit them. BTW, Napoli had 15 shots (7 on goal) & CFC had 14 shots (5 on goal). I won't get totally down, because I would loved a draw. Napoli are a legit side, arguably the best side CFC face this season. They did beat Man City & the last time I check they were on top of the table in the EPL. So the Chels goto the Bridge w/ something to play for. I seen the Blues in worse situations, but they always seem to have the moxie to pull the unbelievable off. I will act like a fan & believe they can do it.

AVB mentioned that we created plenty of chances, did we really do that ?

I saw only 2(Mata goal and ramires shot)

We had those 2, plus a couple from corners, and one late on that Drogba fluffed. We also had a half chance, where Ivanovic dribbled some 50 metres with the ball but couldn't quite get enough space to shoot, although I think if that was a striker who'd gotten in that position, he would have had a go.