Napoli 3-1 Chelsea

Steve

Man of the Match (obvious tongue-in-cheek expression...)  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who was, in your view, the best Chelsea player against Napoli??

• Petr Cech
    • Juan Mata
    • Gary Cahill
    • Branislav Ivanovic
    • David Luiz
    • Raul Meireles
    • Didier Drogba
    • Daniel Sturridge
    • Ramires
    • Jose Bosingwa
    • Florent Malouda
    • SUB - Frank Lampard
    • SUB - Ashley Cole
    • SUB - Michael Essien

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you - Sturridge is a striker and I don't blame him for complaining about not getting a chance up front. Do you really think he will do worse than Drogba/Torres?

Agreed. Certainly he would do much better. Why not play something like:

Kalou - Danny - Mata

or

Kalou - Mata

----Danny-----

We had two defensive midfielders in Raul and Rami. I know that this isn't the position they usually play, but tonight this was their role which they failed to do properly. Essien did not do any better when he came on and is obviously not back to form (if he is ever going to be) while Romeu is not ready for such a match especially that he has not been getting regular starts lately.

Just because you ask Samba to play a striker doesn't make him one simply because he is playing up top. Essien and Romeu are actually natural defensive midfielders, Essien might lack the power but it's a guarantee that he doesn't loose the ball like Ramires did on a couple of occasions and Romeu actually knows what he is supposed to do when he is played as a defensive midfielder while Raul just looks lost out there whatever position AVB decides to play him.

I personally though Essien played a lot better than either Ramires or Raul when he came on, Lamps on the other hand failed to make any sort of impact apart from wasting possession with hopeful efforts.

I think we can all agree never to sign LFC players again. Current or ex. Cite Torres, Meireiles, Benayoun

Torres was a panicbuy prolly a demand by Roman.

Raul was bought basically because not much else was available.

How about: Lets fucking never buy players without really thinking it over.

We all know this team can't win the CL, so we're gonna leave the competition sooner or later. AVB made a huge mistake with choosing midfield players.. In this type of games you HAVE to have players like Essien and Mikel (Remember the 2-2 at Olimpico di Torino?) but instead he starts with the ever-underwhelming Meireles. And Bosingwa as LB while Ashley's available? Let's all imagine how bad it would have been if Ashley didn't play and save the whole team from conceding that 4th goal.

A positive: Meireles will miss the replay due to suspension :D

Yep I gave a massive fist pump when I heard that. The only positive from the game!

Avb's probably crying now that his talismanic Portuguese isn't available- will probably put a useless fucker like Mikel in instead mind!

Well we had a good innings at the top who would have thought we would see 3 prem titles here. The worst thing about this team is the lack of passion. Least we could loose with some pride. No throwing money at this

On a night when big performances were required, far too many were found wanting. Credit to AVB, his team selection was brave, clearly the battle lines between him and certain players have been drawn, I hope its AVB who wins this war, not the players.

We started slowly, Napoli had the better of the first 20 minutes, we got a lucky break for Mata's goal, played far better after that and controlled the game until Lavezzi's equaliser completely changed the game, more bad defending via Ivanovic allowed Cavani in for their second. I just cant wrap my head around how we are leading and playing well only to throw it all away in the space of 7 minutes, this caving in has become a far too regular occurrence at Chelsea. Second half we tried, we had a period of good play but a mad Luiz mistake and Napoli get the third. We then fail to find the class to break them down to score an important second away goal.

I'll start with the positives. AVB's team selection showed bravery.

Juan Mata was excellent, the only outfield player who performed anywhere near expectations (Cech did well in goal).

Then the negatives.

The defence is a shambles, remember the Terry/Carvalho/Makelele triangle? What the hell has happened since then? Cahill was all over the place, Luiz wasn't much better alongside him, Ivanovic had a shocker, Cole was decent and in front of them Ramires and Meireles combined to create the least effective shielding midfield performance I've ever seen at this level of football. Ramires has been excellent for us this season but this was easily his worst game this season, he looked entirely uncomfortable playing as part of a sitting 2 man midfield. Meireles meanwhile looked lost, his attempts at "defending" would have been laughable except they made me want to cry more than laugh.

It was an open game, Napoli are no great shakes, 6th in Serie A, their defence was almost as bad as ours, the difference was that they had the quality to capitalise on our frailties, we didn't have the quality to capiltalise on theirs. Mata played very well, Drogba had a few good moments but simply didn't get the ball enough, Sturridge struggled to influence the game much and Malouda was practically invisible. I get why AVB wanted to play a 4-2-3-1, the problem is that it means that we have to play Malouda out wide and he just isn't good enough.

Defensively it was awful. Creatively it was poor. So what exactly do we do well? I still think that AVB is the right man for the job, I've stuck by him this whole time because I know that the squad he is working with is both not good enough and some are not responsive to his philosophies. Given the chance, I believe that he can change that structure and philosophy of the club. However that still doesn't stop me from being bitterly disappointed with tonight. 1-0 up, away at Napoli and we end up losing 3-1? It is just so un-Chelsea like.

We aren't out of the tie yet, we still have a slim chance but I don't think we will be able to break them down to score twice while not conceding at the other end. Bad result, bad performance which pretty much summed up the season so far, depressing.

We all know this team can't win the CL, so we're gonna leave the competition sooner or later. AVB made a huge mistake with choosing midfield players.. In this type of games you HAVE to have players like Essien and Mikel (Remember the 2-2 at Olimpico di Torino?) but instead he starts with the ever-underwhelming Meireles.

Completely disagree, Mikel in this match?, are you fucking kidding me, Mikel has no pace he would of got slaughtered in midfield, i'm actually very happy AVB never played him, trust me the amount of goals Napoli would of had with him in midfield, At least Meireles could keep up with them and pressure them a bit, Mikel would of been running after them or just stand there like he usually does, the only positive thing he would of done was sit back and sit deep infront of the front four, but it's still useless because he wouldn't of protected them.

Essien, Essien still has problems, i don't think he's fully fit yet, he hasn't got the pace, Meireles had to be picked today, i don't blame AVB for that, but perhaps Romeu could of played that was probably a mistake, and i think i would of chosen Romeu over Meireles tonight.

And by the way, a great example of Mikel tonight, would of been him in the Arsenal 5-3 defeat.