Lucas Piazón

the wes

Yeah not mocking at all...

He got an assist, which I stated. I mocked (if you could even call it that, but I wouldn't) Athletic Bilbao if anything for being crap this season. Then added the final comment before the inevitable (not so much now) comments about him being our future by delusional people who think football is such a simple thing where flair and being Brazilian means you're the next big thing. The final comment on my original post could be considered sarcasm aimed at fans, not mocking of Piazon. Now if we're to take sarcasm away from the world, won't it be a bit of a dull place?

If you two don't mind, we are trying to discuss Lucas' performance here. Please use PMs if you wish to continue this pointless argument.

If you two don't mind, we are trying to discuss Lucas' performance here. Please use PMs if you wish to continue this pointless argument.

I'm discussing Lucas Piazon. This is the Lucas Piazon topic. Other people seem to be discussing in-game moments though which surely should be in the La Liga section in "Football Banter", no?

People can criticize Torres for being shit (check his goals/assists stats for this season though, eh?) but the moment I even hint that a different player is nowhere near good enough (which he's not. suck my big hairy toe) people get butt-hurt? Double standards? Or...

Torres has been shit for two years and we paid 50m for him. We bought piazon a year ago and he's progressed to a level where he's getting his first start for one of the best teams in la liga and has probably been the best player on the pitch so far. Yet you still continue with your agenda and mock him. When a player has a good game they should get praised, especially on a first start

Torres has been shit for two years and we paid 50m for him. We bought piazon a year ago and he's progressed to a level where he's getting his first start for one of the best teams in la liga and has probably been the best player on the pitch so far. Yet you still continue with your agenda and mock him. When a player has a good game they should get praised, especially on a first start

Well without him we wouldn't have won the CL final (got the winning corner). Ensured we went through vs. Barcelona with that final goal. Has created and scored loads this season. It's nothing to do with fees. He doesn't control how much he cost the club, and neither do any of the fans. Torres and Piazon should both be treated equally as if they were both free, with any adversity caused by transfer fees aimed at the board who actually paid the fee; not the player. Piazon hasn't progressed in my mind, really. He was ready for first time football when we bought him and was on the brink of making the full Sao Paulo team but once again with youth, we just put him into our lower ranks to bide his time. It should also be noted that while sure, it could be considered an achievement to start for one of the best teams (of the season, and that's all) once in La Liga, that it's probably down to the fact Pellegrini is juggling formations etc. and using him as a stop-gap until the next big game or Champions League fixture. I've already stated I haven't mocked him once. I've mocked the mindset that he's magically good enough after showing very little throughout his career (thus far) to suggest he's 'the next big thing' or good enough for the current European Champions. Fact is, it shocked most people that he started today. That should say a lot really.

Piazon's won Malaga a bunch of freekicks, Athletic players can't dispossess him without fouling. Great chemistry between him and Isco, I suppose that's what you get when you train with the likes of Mata and Oscar.

Hope Pellegrini is impressed too and will keep playing him, maybe even in the Champions League on Tuesday.

Well well well I didn't expect this kind of performance from Lucas. I thought this loan was wayy too aggressive and he'd get hardly any chance at all but not only did he get a start he's performed very well. Very impressed.

Don't want to be too critical but he should have got one goal at least, but still very impressed with his dribbling, link-up play and work-rate.

And to think some people thought this loan move was 'baffling'. :rolleyes:

Starting a game and getting 80 minutes is great for his development and apparently he's done enough to get another chance soon. By my count that's EIGHT promising youngsters out on great loans, which is remarkable work by the board.

Well without him we wouldn't have won the CL final (got the winning corner). Ensured we went through vs. Barcelona with that final goal. Has created and scored loads this season. It's nothing to do with fees. He doesn't control how much he cost the club, and neither do any of the fans. Torres and Piazon should both be treated equally as if they were both free, with any adversity caused by transfer fees aimed at the board who actually paid the fee; not the player. Piazon hasn't progressed in my mind, really. He was ready for first time football when we bought him and was on the brink of making the full Sao Paulo team but once again with youth, we just put him into our lower ranks to bide his time. It should also be noted that while sure, it could be considered an achievement to start for one of the best teams (of the season, and that's all) once in La Liga, that it's probably down to the fact Pellegrini is juggling formations etc. and using him as a stop-gap until the next big game or Champions League fixture. I've already stated I haven't mocked him once. I've mocked the mindset that he's magically good enough after showing very little throughout his career (thus far) to suggest he's 'the next big thing' or good enough for the current European Champions. Fact is, it shocked most people that he started today. That should say a lot really.

Oh god don't get me started on the whole Torres winning a corner thing. You really wan to debate that then PM me. And no they shouldn't be treated equally! Torres has been playing like shot for two years and this is piazon first start against a decent team at a competitive level. If piazon was an experienced pro then it'd be a different story, but he's a youngster coming to grips of playing football in Europe at a competitive level. Not a hard concept to grasp really. The fact you don't he's progressed is your opinion but considering he came in January last year, played a big part in the youth cup, won the young player of the year award, moved to the first team and is now on loan at one of the best clubs is La liga shows massive progression. The fact is the boy has a lot of talent and with the right guidance he could become a star. This was similar of players like kakuta though and so it is hard to tell how far he will get with talent, but for me the early signs have been great.

Rather than mock the fans and Lucas just get behind him and appreciate the good work he's done/ is doing

Good first half, excellent second. Blue-tinted glasses maybe, but he the MOTM for me, definitely one of the best performers today, especially in the opening 25 mins of the second half. Great assist and probably should have got a goal from one of his two chances. Showed some signs of tiredness after the 75th minute. Was a good call to sub him off.

His movement was excellent especially when he drifted centrally. His dribbling proved too much for the Bilbao defenders. And his relation with Isco caused all sorts of trouble for Athletic. I was also pleasantly surprised by his defensive work rate and tracking back.

Over all, very much exceeding my expectations. Well done, Mr. Piazon.

The fact is the boy has a lot of talent and with the right guidance he could become a star.

But that's my problem. Where do you get that from? He's barely played 90 minutes of first team football in his career. What does he offer aside from the flair? I don't care what he could offer Malaga in a slower paced league where you get forever on the ball, but what would he offer CHELSEA? He's clearly not prolific as seen by the fact he failed to score today when he really should have and the fact he's barely, if at all, broken double figures at youth level. He doesn't have a great deal of pace, he has flair...(which does what exactly?), passing ability I'd expect from all of our youth midfielders and above average vision. I don't see how that's the potential to become a star.

I thought he had a good game.Combined well with isco,worked very hard and showed some skills as well not to mention his assist.I hope he starts a lot more now but with the quality of malaga i am not so sure that he will start next time out despite today's impressive showing.

I actually like his movement when he plays centrally very much. I think his best position would be as second striker. What do you think?

He did show some good movement for that goal he scored in pre-season but other than that I thought he looked quite uncomfortable, he lost the ball a lot. He still has a lot of potential as a playmaker/second striker IMO, so I'd be fine with him staying there, but I guess I'm just intrigued to how he'd do if he was a bit more direct out-wide.

But that's my problem. Where do you get that from? He's barely played 90 minutes of first team football in his career. What does he offer aside from the flair? I don't care what he could offer Malaga in a slower paced league where you get forever on the ball, but what would he offer CHELSEA? He's clearly not prolific as seen by the fact he failed to score today when he really should have and the fact he's barely, if at all, broken double figures at youth level. He doesn't have a great deal of pace, he has flair...(which does what exactly?), passing ability I'd expect from all of our youth midfielders and above average vision. I don't see how that's the potential to become a star.

His best assets are his dribbling, movement and passing. And you get that from seeing how he's played in the youth teams and being a key figure in the youth cup win. That's where you see that he has talent, and now it's up to him and the coach to make it count. And scoring goals is something that can develop. Bale has only just started developing that side of his game and hazard is still working on getting himself into goalscoring position more often beyond the defence. It's clear that we just rate him differently. As I said I think his vision is at a good level, he's got pace, his dribbling is good and most importantly he works hard and defends as well as gets forward