Kevin de Bruyne

Madmax

1 hour ago, manpe said:

Strange, Wolfsburg and City could. Maybe our scouts and coaches just plain suck at assessing potential development?

I think our scouts shouldn't be blamed considering they were the ones who discovered KdB in the first place. However, our manager at the time thought Oscar is better...

I think our scouts shouldn't be blamed considering they were the ones who discovered KdB in the first place. However, our manager at the time thought Oscar is better...
Our managers hold no ultimate power in transfers. The club had to sanction the sale.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, manpe said:

Our managers hold no ultimate power in transfers. The club had to sanction the sale.

But if the manager doesn't rate the player at all, then there is no point for the club to keep him and continue to pay the wages, no?

But if the manager doesn't rate the player at all, then there is no point for the club to keep him and continue to pay the wages, no?
With the revolving door in place the club should trust its original judgement for a bit longer. But you're right in the sense that kdb was pushing for a permanent move away because of Mourinho and ultimately it did his career a world of good.

Good point. For the club to ultimately consider De Bruyne recruitable, multiple people in the club (scouts, board, Roman) must've agreed 'he's good.' To then allow 1 man (it seems) to choose he's not worthy, is not the right way of doing things. Both the coach & everyone above him takes the blame in that scenario for letting him go.
Amateurs like us were praising him to high heavens even after his shittest games for us. If we could see it, they could see it (surely). Ultimately they didn't trust their own eyes, which is pretty crazy.

I don't believe De Bruyne would've been quite the player he is for City had he stayed here though; no creative player reaches their potential with us. I still would've kept him regardless; I saw him as a great Xabi Alonso-type to play deep, if he could pick up intercepting ability. I said then and i'll say now - his pin-point accuracy that he churns out game after game, is something I only saw in the very best few games of Beckham, who was pretty much championed for his ability to cross the ball and hit wonder-passes. 

I do think for most of us, we saw he was a once in a generation talent.

This is a stupid tangent now, but replace Zidane during his Juventus years with De Bruyne, replace Kaka at Milan with De Bruyne, replace even Xabi Alonso or Gerrard at Liverpool with De Bruyne, and he'd be considered one of the best talents of all time; he would've matched them one way or another. In this modern era, especially at City, I'm not sure he'll ever get that tag. He'd deserve it though. 

12 hours ago, manpe said:

With the revolving door in place the club should trust its original judgement for a bit longer. But you're right in the sense that kdb was pushing for a permanent move away because of Mourinho and ultimately it did his career a world of good.

The club can't do that simply because if the manager doesn't play/trust the player, the player will be unhappy and want to move elsewhere. Keeping unhappy player that doesn't play is not good for everybody involve. 

Mourinho prefer Oscar to Kdb that was the reason why he left, it was terrific decision by Kdb, horrible for us though. 

On 6/9/2013 at 2:46 AM, BlueLyon said:

This guy has Gerrard written all over him and top season behind. Board would be huge idiots to loan or even sell him. Instead of ud, should he be player of Bvb, the whole fucking world would want him and he would be worth 25mio with ease to compare with today prices. But as he is chelsea player, we would sell him for 15mio. Ffs Porto rates Mangala for 30. 30! Last time for us to start rating our players higher. Kdb is certainly player for future and I want him at Sb next season.

If only I was in charge of Chelsea transfers :P:(

You can even go back through the posts in this thread, not many people really gave a shit when he left. It's easy, lazy, and convenient to blame Mourinho for letting him go. 

There are several parties to blame but it ultimately lies with the board IMO. He was on fire at Wolfsburg & was let go for peanuts. 

I do wonder if loans are just a way to show potential suitors what you can when our club are involved. Only Courtois & Christensen have been given a chance (don't want to hear the same old line, "they weren't good enough").

8 hours ago, BlueLion. said:

You can even go back through the posts in this thread, not many people really gave a shit when he left.

It's easy, lazy, and convenient to blame Mourinho for letting him go. 

Yes, but we are fans, we are all quite clueless in the grand scheme of things, that plus we were still in the honeymoon period of having Jose back, we were always going to give him the benefit of the doubt. Jose himself and the board however should have known better.

1 hour ago, LAM09 said:

There are several parties to blame but it ultimately lies with the board IMO. He was on fire at Wolfsburg & was let go for peanuts. 

I do wonder if loans are just a way to show potential suitors what you can when our club are involved. Only Courtois & Christensen have been given a chance (don't want to hear the same old line, "they weren't good enough").

We either made a profit or basically get a multimillion signing for free, win win for all parties, players included.

We either made a profit or basically get a multimillion signing for free, win win for all parties, players included.
We've lost out on arguably one WC player, one on his way to be & another in Lukaku that would easily have a place in our squad.

Selling the likes of Atsu, Djilobodji & Di Santo to name a few, isn't winning in my book.

2 hours ago, LAM09 said:

We've lost out on arguably one WC player, one on his way to be & another in Lukaku that would easily have a place in our squad.

Selling the likes of Atsu, Djilobodji & Di Santo to name a few, isn't winning in my book.

I agree Lukaku could have had a place in our squad, probably the role Bats has got now would suit his ability's, problem is he wanted an undisputed starting place something he isn't good enough for now let alone then.

Di Santo was long before this policy begun but re the other two, yes not all will work out but it's been a policy thats worked well for us. The players that aren't quite good enough or want to be more than squad players (Ake, Traore, Lukaku) we can sell on and with the money buy players that are good enough, it's worth noting selling Rom basically payed for Costa a move thats been more than justified. Then when we find players that are good enough we basically have a big money signing for free, i dread to think how much Tibo and Christensen would have cost had Leti and BM owned them.

I agree Lukaku could have had a place in our squad, probably the role Bats has got now would suit his ability's, problem is he wanted an undisputed starting place something he isn't good enough for now let alone then.
Di Santo was long before this policy begun but re the other two, yes not all will work out but it's been a policy thats worked well for us. The players that aren't quite good enough or want to be more than squad players (Ake, Traore, Lukaku) we can sell on and with the money buy players that are good enough, it's worth noting selling Rom basically payed for Costa a move thats been more than justified. Then when we find players that are good enough we basically have a big money signing for free, i dread to think how much Tibo and Christensen would have cost had Leti and BM owned them.
We've been settling for players that are supposedly good enough for too long and using the profit on players that aren't better than our some of our back ups. Pasalic could have easily filled the Drinkwater role. Money poorly spent.

I have started to wonder how the board/Roman see things going forward. Is everything going on hold till our stadium is sorted out?

• 1 month later...