Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have also noticed that. He rarely gives possession away. His defending style is so similar to Terry it's scary and he strikes it as good as anyone. Really a good overall defender and player.

He does know how to strike the ball very well for a central defender. Here's one of them.

Beautiful goal that.

Well, that was a great goal, but Cahill is a CB. I'm not that concerned about how good is his finishing. In Spur's game I was more concerned about how vulnerable we were in Cahills side, and how easily Spurs players passed trough him in the counter attacks.

Overall he has been a good player, but doesnt make me fell confortable as I was with Alex or Ricardo Carvalho, our best defenders in the last years.

Well, that was a great goal, but Cahill is a CB. I'm not that concerned about how good is his finishing. In Spur's game I was more concerned about how vulnerable we were in Cahills side, and how easily Spurs players passed trough him in the counter attacks.

Overall he has been a good player, but doesnt make me fell confortable as I was with Alex or Ricardo Carvalho, our best defenders in the last years.

true. cahill is a good defender but no Ricardo Carvalho. ricky's reading of the game was impeccable

I was surprised when Alex left the club, he was a top defender who knew how to strike a free-kick!...the only thing he lost was a bit of pace & he was made the scapegoat of AvB's high-line problems at Chelsea.

I was surprised when Alex left the club, he was a top defender who knew how to strike a free-kick!...the only thing he lost was a bit of pace & he was made the scapegoat of AvB's high-line problems at Chelsea.

yeah, i too at the time rated him more than any of our defenders back then.

very differnt from cahill as well. alex was a beast. cahill's other con is he can be shrugged off as he is not exactly huge. alex on the other hand was a tank

One factor of Cahill's play that I do not like is his style and tendency to constantly backs off opponent that runs at him. As I was talking to SeB the other day about this, he is probably waiting for the right time to make the tackle and not commit rash challenges like Luiz leading to giving away fouls in dangerous free kicks. While that is a fair point, constantly backing off is not helpful because more often than not, you're gonna allow the opponent to have a free shot at goal without any pressure and this happened quite a bit against Spurs last weekend.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/gary-cahill-reveals-frustration-at-roberto-1403178

Gary Cahill has revealed he has become frustrated by Roberto Di Matteo’s defensive rotation policy at Chelsea.

Central defender Cahill will step back into the team to partner David Luiz against Manchester United today after sitting out the Champions League defeat by Shakhtar Donetsk.

Captain John Terry’s four-game ban for racially abusing Anton Ferdinand has guaranteed Cahill a run of ­Premier League games.

But the 26-year-old is concerned he is too often made the odd man out.

Cahill has made seven starts this season, but sat out of big games against Juventus, Arsenal and ­Shakhtar. Luiz, whose form remains erratic, has started 11 games.

“It has been frustrating for me at times this season, I’m not going to lie – like on Tuesday night in the Champions League, the rotating,” Cahill told Sunday Mirror Sport. “I think you can accept it if you are playing the same amount of games as everybody else. That’s the only way you can come to terms with it.”

Asked if he believes he should be given a greater share of the action, Cahill reiterated: “That’s how you come to terms with it.”

On his partnership with Luiz, ­Cahill added: “It seems to have gone well. But it’s gone well ­whatever pairings have been put out. I’ve done well with JT or David. I enjoy playing with both.”

Don't blame him for feeling frustrated.

I think the thing with Cahill is a lot of fans wrote him off before he arrived, saying he is "only a Bolton player" etc etc, which was harsh and after a few good displays it went to far the other way "next JT" "new captain" etc etc etc. It was almost like some CFC fans wanted to compensate for the one's that dismissed him before he came through the Cobham door.

Cannot question his attitude and commitment, but for a team that want's to win titles, the best he can be is a (very good) squad player.

Poor performance from both him and D. Luiz. Still don't think he makes more than a good back-up. Leaving me to repeat my wish on the club targetting a new CB in the summer.

I don't think the constant chopping and changing to our back 4 is helping him and the rest of the defenders. The confusion between him and Ivanovic for Van Persie's goal summed it all up. Both just left him to each other thinking they will pick him up but in the end, nobody did!