Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doesn't excuse his terrible positioning for the first two goals and that terrible piece of 'defending' that forced Iva's red card.

true. defence crumbled once united got into that space between the defence and midfield. between luiz going after the ball and cahill backing off away from it, we conceded 2 goals

I don't think the constant chopping and changing to our back 4 is helping him and the rest of the defenders. The confusion between him and Ivanovic for Van Persie's goal summed it all up. Both just left him to each other thinking they will pick him up but in the end, nobody did!

That's true but still. We've had some fine defenders at the club in the past 10-15 years and I honestly don't think Cahill is one of them. He's solid for the most part but at this level you need more than just solid.

doesn't help when he's got a ticking time-bomb for a partner in defence

or maybe Cahill brings the worst out of Luiz too? How many of Luiz's bad performances come partnered with Terry or even Ivanovic? hardly any of them.

Cahill and Luiz don't work as a partnership, they are both as responsible for that as each other.

Cahill has been hyped up as some world builder since he has joined us, he has been far from that, he has his good games, but his bad games should have age restrictions on them.

doesn't help when he's got a ticking time-bomb for a partner in defence

That's a ridiculous statement, Cahill could be playing with Thiago Silva and he would still not be able to mark RVP on that second goal

That's a ridiculous statement, Cahill could be playing with Thiago Silva and he would still not be able to mark RVP on that second goal

nah. they don't work well together is what i meant. one goes after the ball (luiz) and cahill prefers backing away. i mean they look disoriented in defence

or maybe Cahill brings the worst out of Luiz too? How many of Luiz's bad performances come partnered with Terry or even Ivanovic? hardly any of them.

Cahill and Luiz don't work as a partnership, they are both as responsible for that as each other.

Cahill has been hyped up as some world builder since he has joined us, he has been far from that, he has his good games, but his bad games should have age restrictions on them.

true. Cahill is not a beast of a defender but sadly he's the best in the squad right now. terry is getting old and his movement has reduced considerably while luiz gets flustered when the heat is on him. goes braindead. it's happened far too many times now. every time we think he'll improve and he plays a few good games against qpr, stoke etc but then when we face mancity, arsenal or manunited again, he is bypassed easily.

cahill's errors on the other hand are not closing his attacker down. he is easily turned and doesn't have good organisation and positioning like JT. but he is the better defender among the 3. quick, calm, strong(ish) and reliable

true. Cahill is not a beast of a defender but sadly he's the best in the squad right now. terry is getting old and his movement has reduced considerably while luiz gets flustered when the heat is on him. goes braindead. it's happened far too many times now. every time we think he'll improve and he plays a few good games against qpr, stoke etc but then when we face mancity, arsenal or manunited again, he is bypassed easily.

cahill's errors on the other hand are not closing his attacker down. he is easily turned and doesn't have good organisation and positioning like JT. but he is the better defender among the 3. quick, calm, strong(ish) and reliable

Cahill makes a lot of error's, the only reason they don't get noticed as much as Luiz's is because Gary's are more tactical, whereas Luiz's are more mistimed.

Terry imo is still the best centre half out of the three by a country mile. He may not be as good as he was but my god we need him to keep those two on a leash.

Cahill makes a lot of error's, the only reason they don't get noticed as much as Luiz's is because Gary's are more tactical, whereas Luiz's are more mistimed.

Terry imo is still the best centre half out of the three by a country mile. He may not be as good as he was but my god we need him to keep those two on a leash.

IMHO there are positives & negatives for all of our CBs. A positive for me is the fact that Cahill can score when going forward. Like you said, make good tactical decisions. And last but not least, IMHO has more pace than JT & Luiz. I won't go into DL or JT, but I wasn't keen on Cahill at first. I was really happy w/ Alex. Now I have totally forgotten about Alex & I love Cahill. Seriously, I have huge Man-Crush on the guy. You should have heard me last month in my pilgrimage to Stamford Bridge. I was like a lil' bitch yelling, "Nice play Gary". ;)

terry can't handle the pace of di santo now. let alone rooney, tevez etc. tactically he is the best but his physical limitations are overwhelming now

cahill's tactical errors could also be a result of shortened gametime. he hasn't played much .. only 4 games in the league. i would go for cahill-terry rather than luiz-terry

We need new defenders. Cahill is an avarage player. I dont know how Luiz mistakes get more noticed.

As Tomo said, Cahill make a lot of tatical erros. He usually marks the wrong players, leaving the open door for the opponent. Its also really common to see we conceding goals while Cahill is marking no one.

Luiz is really good with the ball in his foot, we need a player that knows how to take the ball from the defence and put it on the attack without losing it. Luiz make a lot of mistakes, bu he barely miss the ball when he has it in his foot in the defensive field.

We need his skills in this system we play. While I believe he is erratic, I also believe he is a better defender than Cahill.

Cahill has suffered from the 'Bale syndrome'.

When he signed he was completely under-rated, was wrote off before he even signed by a lot even as a squad player but he came in and had a few solid performances especially at the back end of last season and now hes gone too far the other way.

In short he has gone from being the most under-rated player in our squad to the most over-rated. From "only a Bolton player, will never be good enough" to "captain material, next JT, bla bla bla". In truth he is right in the middle of both those description's, a good squad player.

Cahill has suffered from the 'Bale syndrome'.

When he signed he was completely under-rated, was wrote off before he even signed by a lot even as a squad player but he came in and had a few solid performances especially at the back end of last season and now hes gone too far the other way.

In short he has gone from being the most under-rated player in our squad to the most over-rated. From "only a Bolton player, will never be good enough" to "captain material, next JT, bla bla bla". In truth he is right in the middle of both those description's, a good squad player.

You should have probably just typed "I told you so!" when wanting to post that earlier.

Really, if people can excuse Luiz's poor performances in the last 2-3 matches because he has been doing fine before that and has got talents, then why those people aren't doing the same with Cahill too? Apart from his recent matches, he hasn't exactly been playing badly in any way and it's not like he doesn't have his own good qualities as well.

I believe the Bale syndrome is being overrated as fuck because you had 2 good games against a shit Inter Milan side under Fat Rafa that nearly surrendered a 4-0 lead. Honestly Cahill is a good player and was a bit underrated when he first but surfaced a bit more. Now people notice him as one of our better CBs everyone will be extremely critical. Just how shit works.

never rated him, seems rushed in his play, , balls from the back are poor( notice how teams give him time on the ball.. they know he will not do anything with it but pass it 5 yards..). In essence a steriotypical english player who is over rated because he is english (ala kyle Walker). His overall game is poor and i have been saying it all along, he is not chelsea material ( problably liverpool material). He is a solid player ,and nothing extra. ask yourself what does he bring to the table( dont say leadership, because thats a lie)

PS= our team next year should be : dave ivanovic DLuiz a.cole; mikel KDB; mata oscar hazard; cavani/neymar. NOW thats a top quality team

You should have probably just typed "I told you so!" when wanting to post that earlier.

Really, if people can excuse Luiz's poor performances in the last 2-3 matches because he has been doing fine before that and has got talents, then why those people aren't doing the same with Cahill too? Apart from his recent matches, he hasn't exactly been playing badly in any way and it's not like he doesn't have his own good qualities as well.

I have said he has his own qualities, that's the point. I was one of the one's defending his initial signing but im also one of the one's that hasn't jumped on the bandwagon off over hyping him.

My opinion of the lad has remained the same from day one and will probably remain the same throughout his Chelsea career.

I believe the Bale syndrome is being overrated as fuck because you had 2 good games against a shit Inter Milan side under Fat Rafa that nearly surrendered a 4-0 lead.

That's what i meant, Bale before those Arsenal, Chelsea and Inter games was one of the most under-rated player's in the league, he never got the credit he deserved and now he get's so much credit and most of it is way over the top.

Scholes is another example, for years he never got the credit he deserved, the whole nation realized it all off a sudden and overhyping Scholes turned into some national project.