Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

The only problem with Cahill is that, like Terry, he lacks pace and when he's on the wrong side, he's gonna struggle to catch up. Otherwise, everything's great about him and he loves a good old long range shot too. Good ol' fashioned passionate and committed English centre half. I'd always use him with JT. There's plenty of doubts where he'll be in the England pecking order but he's not even guaranteed to be in our first team yet. Luiz has gone back to his old self and is genuinely pissing me off as a CB.

I don't think Cahill lacks place. Certainly quicker than Ivanovic and Terry and possibly as quick as Luiz. You only have to look at how quickly he recovered to clear Adebayor's shot off the line in the home 0-0 draw against Spurs last season, after he failed with the offside trap. And if you remember, he managed to stay toe-to-toe with N'Gog in a foot race in the first half of the game where we beat Bolton 3-0 at home.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't mean i didn't think he was slow just because pre season doesn't matter. All i'm saying is that in my opinion, in pre season and the games i've seen him this season, he's looked slow to me.

Places like forum and Twitter really need to have some sarcasm fonts.

we have all seen him play better games last season than we have this..he`s clearly to me not at his best at the moment. that may or may not be related to the jaw injury that made him miss the Euro`s. not only the time missed but some jaw injuries can effect your balance.

a slightly dislocated jaw totally derailed the career of Paul Hughes after it lead to so many other injuries before it was discovered. i know the medical staff are aware of Gary`s jaw injury but even now he`s been cleared to play it still may have a negative effect on his current play.

he`ll be back to his best and maybe even better before too long tho i`m sure.

Irritating white smiley is what it is for me lol. Or most ppl just put ':P' after their post to kinda say "Not serious". Anyway...

Cahill is not as slow as JT but not as quick as Luiz. He's not so bad, he was good against Barcelona, the niftiest team on the planet so i'm sure he'll be ok.

We were linked with Cahill before AVB came. I think it was a club buy.

Don't remember that at all. Arsenal were interested in him and we had just bought Luiz and weren't interested in CBs. Only when Alex was 'sacked' that we started being linked with Gary.

IIRC Spurs were very close to signing Cahill on deadline day but the deal fell through because Bassong didn't move to QPR, could be the other way around.

Think you have got the timeline of events wrong mate. IIRC, Spurs did come very close to get Cahill last year but the move collapsed because they couldn't agree with Bolton's price of 13m for Cahill.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news-article/article/2914986/title/lampard-quality-cahill-has-nothing-to-prove

Gary Cahill looks set to fill in for his injured Chelsea team-mate John Terry when England continue their World Cup qualifying campaign against Ukraine tomorrow at Wembley, and Frank Lampard believes our January acquisition possesses all the attributes required to ensure a long and fruitful international career.

Cahill joined the Blues at a time when the side were struggling for confidence, but a string of impressive displays, most notably in the Champions League clashes against Barcelona and Bayern Munich, have gone a long way to cementing his reputation at the highest level.

Speaking to the media after Friday's 5-0 win in Moldova, Lampard was full of praise for the former Bolton Wanderers defender.

'John will be a big miss, he is very influential, a top player who was fantastic at the Euros when playing under certain pressures,' he explained.

'As a squad we have to deal with his absence and luckily we have great cover whether Gary Cahill or Phil Jagielka comes in.

'Gary has grown completely as a player. I have nothing but massive things to say for Gary.

'To come to Chelsea after the season we had last year, fit in and play the games he did against Barcelona and then the final, he has proven he is a top, top centre-half in world football.

'Internationally he can go on and play for a long time.'

Just like Bertrand, 2012 must have been a crazy year too for Cahill. From battling against relegation with Bolton in January to winning the FA Cup and Champions League in May and then seeing his status being elevated in the England NT setup.