Gary Cahill

LDN Blue

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At some point you have to stop blaming the player but the guy who keeps picking him.

Don't think it's so much picking him but rather making the mistake of trusting him and not getting another CB. I don't think Zouma would've done better today. So much pressure on the defence.

I've never rated him, but at least he was more than useful last season. This season is just full exposure. Can only hope to see more of Zouma.

Made one mistake in the whole game. Yes he backed off again, yes its frustrating but tonight we had plenty underperformers and I don't think Cahill was one of them overall.

true, but that one mistake was costly and that mistake has been made by him time and again.

i think that was the only time where sterling was allowed to run directly at him and it resulted in a goal. not to say that the goal was completely his mistake. the way matic and mikel were sleep walking was a thing of beauty, but GC should be defending that.

That being said for all of Cahill's shortcomings he was made to look like Maldini by JT tonight, who is not physically capable of playing so many matches.

We seriously need to invest in two central defenders in the summer. Our GKs - world class. Our offence - world class. Our midfield - world class to such an extent it's one of the best midfield units in world football. Our defence - average.

Finding it hard to believe that NOT ONE of the coaches we have had since Cahill came here has told him to stop backing off like a pussy and start being more pro-active in challenging/tackling players for the ball! It's amazing how he can keep on making the same mistake over and over and over and yet not learn from it. :doh::rant:

That being said for all of Cahill's shortcomings he was made to look like Maldini by JT tonight, who is not physically capable of playing so many matches.

We seriously need to invest in two central defenders in the summer. Our GKs - world class. Our offence - world class. Our midfield - world class to such an extent it's one of the best midfield units in world football. Our defence - average.

either this or atleast give zouma a proper chance. he has been very good everytime he has played. yes, the teams he has played against have been "average" or in dead rubbers. buts its definitely the time to throw him in the deep end of the pool and see if he swims.

By backing off he may as well as end up in the goal.....not even one challenge is won by him clearly without fouling the players

What should he have done in that situation? Didn't see the goal back yet, but I thought it made sense what he did there. Sterling was on full speed running on him, by backing off and not making a challenge he didn't risk fouling him (possible penalty and red card for sure). And fouling would've been very likely, since in that situation even a little bit of contact is enough if you miss the ball (like with a keeper on one vs ones). By backing off he made sure there was no space behind him, so Sterling couldn't get past him and he had a chance to block the shot or at least make it harder, giving Courtois a better change. Obviously Sterling finish was great and not saying it was ideal, but like I said I think it made sense what he did.

Cahill had some horrible performances last weeks, but I actually thought this was one of his better games. Had one great interception and I blame Mikel/Matic organisation more for the goal then him.

either this or atleast give zouma a proper chance. he has been very good everytime he has played. yes, the teams he has played against have been "average" or in dead rubbers. buts its definitely the time to throw him in the deep end of the pool and see if he swims.

Given the way Cahill has been playing, guess Zouma can't possibly do any worse even with his lack of experience.

Am seriously dreading Cahill against Aguero next weekend.

What should he have done in that situation? Didn't see the goal back yet, but I thought it made sense what he did there. Sterling was on full speed running on him, by backing off and not making a challenge he didn't risk fouling him (possible penalty and red card for sure). And fouling would've been very likely, since in that situation even a little bit of contact is enough if you miss the ball (like with a keeper on one vs ones). By backing off he made sure there was no space behind him, so Sterling couldn't get past him and he had a chance to block the shot or at least make it harder, giving Courtois a better change. Obviously Sterling finish was great and not saying it was ideal, but like I said I think it made sense what he did.

Cahill had some horrible performances last weeks, but I actually thought this was one of his better games. Had one great interception and I blame Mikel/Matic organisation more for the goal then him.

Your right that as a defender, when faced with a player running towards you at pace with the ball, you have to back off so the player doesn't easily get past you BUT only to a certain extent.

You can't keep backing off. Eventually you have to step up and make the challenge (especially when you're in your own penalty box) and that's something that Cahill never does.

He keeps backing off until the player takes his shot and by then it's too late.

no top team in the world - with ambitions as high as Chelsea's - have a defender like this in their team and there's a simple reason why: with those ambitions one simply can't afford to have Cahill. He's awful. Has always been and had a hell of a season last year because even his dreams were protected and we were less daring.

In a normal setup he's a walking liability. Unfortunately I don't see it changing soon. And that's one of the biggest problems I have with the current Mourinho. He dared talking about the team lacking balls last year, but he's been lacking some himself when it comes to just throw Zouma there. It just can't get worse than Cahill anyway, so at least let the kid develop and learn from his mistakes.